Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Capsicums rotting

I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.
Cheers,

Old 02-03-2007, 08:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "Potaroo"
wrote:

I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.

No idea -- the snails invariably eat my plants!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.
Cheers,

I would say after reading this "overwatering" But there are other reasons.
CAYENNE (Capsicum annum)
Annual (Perennial in warmer climates) growing to around 30-40cm tall. Bright green foliage with off-white flowers.

Growing Conditions:
Prefers warm, frost free position, in full to partial shade.

Cultu
Well-drained, moderately rich soil is most suitable. Plants may need staking

Companion Planting:
Grows well with most vegetables. Marigolds and chives nearby may be of some benefit to cayenne.

Propagation:
Seed sown under cover, then seedlings planted out into beds.

Pests & Diseases:
Over-watering can lead to general fungal problems and rotting of the peppers.
Insect damage is rarely a major problem, but can occur.

Uses:
Medicinal and culinary. Variety of pepper that can really 'heat' up a wide variety of dishes. One of the components of cayenne can raise the rate of human metabolism if used regularly. This can result in a greater burn up of calories/joules, aiding in weight loss.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day potaroo,

could it be fruit fly?

have you opened up 1 of the affected fruit to see if there is f/f
larva in there?

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:01:06 +1100, "Potaroo"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 02-03-2007, 10:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

A fix would be to create a raised bed for them, unless as Len wrote its
fruit fly.
But the peppers may be a bit hot for them.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.

I do not know, but given we lost almost all our tomatoes to blossom
rot, which we put down to too infrequent watering (drought then flood),
it could be the same thing.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article
,
Terryc wrote:

Potaroo wrote:
I have the best crop of Caps but whilst they're on the way to becoming red
they seem to rot from the inside.
Disappointing to pick them only to have you fingers go through.
Any ideas what is wrong.

I do not know, but given we lost almost all our tomatoes to blossom
rot, which we put down to too infrequent watering (drought then flood),
it could be the same thing.

Could be, but blossom end rot is due to calcium deficiency. Try liming your
soil next season. Worked for me.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:

Could be, but blossom end rot is due to calcium deficiency. Try liming your
soil next season. Worked for me.

That is the first reason that everyone gives, except everything was
limed. The second reason is dry spell then heavy watering. Some say
"infrequent" watering.

Same thing happened to a neighbour who has been growing them
successfully for years.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
Chookie wrote:

Could be, but blossom end rot is due to calcium deficiency. Try liming
your soil next season. Worked for me.

That is the first reason that everyone gives, except everything was limed.
The second reason is dry spell then heavy watering. Some say
"infrequent" watering.

i understand it's still the same thing though, just that the watering
problem exacerbates/causes the calcium problem. i looked this up when i
started getting blossom-end rot on every tomato just as we were getting some
ott storms & rain recently. i threw some lime around & it stopped happening.

i don't know if this was just a happy coincidence (could the calcium have
been uptaken that quickly?!) but at any rate, it stopped the blossom end rot
in its tracks. or something did. now there are plenty of nice tomatoes for
the birds & wallabies to eat!! many of them have split skins though, because
of the storms (waterlogging).
kylie

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:

A fix would be to create a raised bed for them, unless as Len wrote its
fruit fly.
But the peppers may be a bit hot for them.

Look for some fruit flies with thick, dark, drooping moustaches, and an
outrageous Mexican accent.

The sound of Mariachi music will also act as a guide.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Teh Most Revernd Bishop of Willesden wrote:
Jonno wrote:

A fix would be to create a raised bed for them, unless as Len wrote
its fruit fly.
But the peppers may be a bit hot for them.

Look for some fruit flies with thick, dark, drooping moustaches, and an
outrageous Mexican accent.

The sound of Mariachi music will also act as a guide.

What no sombreros?
You mucho silly hombre!

Do capsicums seeds need to be replanted? Terry Collins Australia 0 17-02-2005 05:06 AM
Complete novice gardener seeking advice - tomatoes and capsicums James Harvey Australia 1 18-01-2005 01:41 AM
Complete novice gardener seeks advice on tomatoes and capsicums James Harvey Gardening 0 06-11-2004 05:02 AM
Capsicums vsop United Kingdom 7 31-07-2003 01:12 PM
Capsicums vsop United Kingdom 1 30-07-2003 11:12 PM