Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default junkets

This is not a political rant. :-)

On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;
not a profitable line.)

Another caller recounted how, in times of shortage during the war, her
mother would stir the warming milk with a twig from their fig tree
(edible figs) and this would cause the milk to set (albeit not smoothly).
The chosen twig was about the thickness of a finger and was first
prepared by having its bark peeled off.

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;
not a profitable line.)

Another caller recounted how, in times of shortage during the war, her
mother would stir the warming milk with a twig from their fig tree
(edible figs) and this would cause the milk to set (albeit not smoothly).
The chosen twig was about the thickness of a finger and was first
prepared by having its bark peeled off.

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Old 13-03-2007, 11:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Indeed an interesting list. I'd welcome suggestions for a substitute for
rennet in making junket, too. This involves setting the milk, rather than
just making it curdle. (I can use pineapple cordial base to make milk
curdle, but it won't turn it into a junket.)
Old 14-03-2007, 04:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

`Why are junket tablets not in the shops these day? Hadn't heard of that
one.

Katherine

Old 15-03-2007, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message

`Why are junket tablets not in the shops these day? Hadn't heard of that
one.

Katherine

This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their
shelves;

I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

Old 15-03-2007, 06:20 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
On a local radio gardening program (2GB here in Sydney) a caller asked
was there a home-grown substitute for setting milk when making cottage
cheese. (This need has been forced on us because most of the two major
supermarket-chain stores have removed junket tablets from their shelves;

Anyone have other plant-based suggestions?

Here's a pretty comprehensive list:
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Curdling%20agent

Indeed an interesting list. I'd welcome suggestions for a substitute for
rennet in making junket, too. This involves setting the milk, rather than
just making it curdle. (I can use pineapple cordial base to make milk
curdle, but it won't turn it into a junket.)

"Lady's bedstraw" is a natural rennet. I had some in my previous garden.
See:
http://www.englishplants.co.uk/ladysbed.html and
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/bedlad25.html

Old 18-03-2007, 02:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

Time goes quickly, but have you looked for junket tablets in the last
two years? I ask because the sole manufacturer of Junket Tablets (Chris
Hansons) ceased manufacture in 2005. I'm surprised that another importer
has not stepped into the breach to supply Woolworths and Coles, but none
seems to have. If junket tabs are still on sale at your store, mind
looking and telling me what brand they are?
Old 18-03-2007, 09:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

Time goes quickly, but have you looked for junket tablets in the last
two years?

I know about how time flys - appallingly fast! However, when I first read
your response, I did a quick mental recap and thought that although I may
just have bought my own junket tabs about 2 years ago (although I thought
this would be a bit of a stretch), I did recently notice them again in the
local supermarket and that was certainly well under 2 years ago. I noticed
them hanging on one of those irritating plastic hanger things that swing off
the columns in the aisle and because it got in my way, I did a quick look to
see if they were flavoured or unflavoured as having been bitten buying the
flavoured ones, I wanted to see if they had unflavoured ones - all flavoured
though.

I ask because the sole manufacturer of Junket Tablets (Chris
Hansons) ceased manufacture in 2005. I'm surprised that another importer
has not stepped into the breach to supply Woolworths and Coles, but none
seems to have. If junket tabs are still on sale at your store, mind
looking and telling me what brand they are?

the flavoured ones as I was fairly sure that they were Hansons. Very
embarrassing experience altogether and I blush as I type this.

In my own defence, I have to say that my pantry is what would these days be
considered to be rather large - it's much bigger than the ensuites in many
houses or motels I've been to, so it can fit rather a lot in the space. I
discovered 2 packs of wild rice I'd forgotten I had, a jar of Asafoetida
(what WAS I going to use that for????), 24 packs of jelly and 4 packs of
plain junket tablets (all Hansons) but no flavoured ones. The plain junket
tabs must be rather (very?)old, but dont' appear to have a useby date on
them. Given that one pack has a price sticker of 97 cents and another has a
price sticker of $1.49 and the other 2 are price sticker free, you can
imagine how old the oldest must be. How long ago did bar scans become the
vogue? I blush!

Anyway, because I thought that the missing flavoured ones had indeed been
Hansons, I did a google and found this:
http://simplyjunket.com.au/news.php
and the picture of the junket that shows at this site is indeed the one I
had bought and found again recently in the small local supermarket so it
seems that Hansons can still be had after all.

Our local supermarket is very customer focussed (they'd want to be given
that for some items I pay up to $2 more for a single can than I would if I
bought in Woollies or Coles). I know that they have got in 2 items for me
especially - Honey soy Sauce and NilOdor and they had never heard of either
of them but made the effort to get them although Lord know how or where.

Anyway, I ramble, I will look for you but I am positive that it was the
exact same product as in the site I found. I'll report back.

Old 20-03-2007, 01:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ping John Savage was junkets

John

Checked out the junket in the local supermarket today. It IS Hansons brand
but the pic on the pack is different to the one at the website I quoted.

Old 21-03-2007, 03:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

the columns in the aisle and because it got in my way, I did a quick look to
see if they were flavoured or unflavoured as having been bitten buying the
flavoured ones, I wanted to see if they had unflavoured ones - all flavoured
though.

I know its irritating to have someone question ones every statement, but
are you sure what's on sale at your store is *flavoured*?

Anyway, because I thought that the missing flavoured ones had indeed been
Hansons, I did a google and found this:
http://simplyjunket.com.au/news.php

I was aware of the simply junket people, and very helpful they are. I
have pointed others in their direction, but shopping by post is not so
convenient. (For the information of others, you can buy junket powder
by post from them, for $7.)

I am interested to know whether your local independent supermarket is
selling the simply junket brand, or is there some other brand available
in some Australian stores? Simply junket sell only unflavoured powder,
you see.

Thanks for your research. :-)

Old 21-03-2007, 06:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
I can buy junket tablets here but then I live in the country. The only
problem is that they are flavoured and I havne't seem the unflavoured
ones
for some years now (I haven't looked either though)

the columns in the aisle and because it got in my way, I did a quick look
see if they were flavoured or unflavoured as having been bitten buying the
flavoured ones, I wanted to see if they had unflavoured ones - all
flavoured
though.

I know its irritating to have someone question ones every statement, but
are you sure what's on sale at your store is *flavoured*?

Yes. It is most definitely flavoured. I looked at the packs again the
other day when I posted the "Ping John Avage" response to say that it was
Hanson's brand. One of the flavours I noticed mentioned on the pack, was
pineapple. I think another was cherry but cannot now be sure as I was a bit
horrified at the thought of pineaple flavoured junket.

Anyway, because I thought that the missing flavoured ones had indeed been
Hansons, I did a google and found this:
http://simplyjunket.com.au/news.php

I was aware of the simply junket people, and very helpful they are. I
have pointed others in their direction, but shopping by post is not so
convenient. (For the information of others, you can buy junket powder
by post from them, for $7.)

I am interested to know whether your local independent supermarket is
selling the simply junket brand,

No, as I responded in the "Ping John Savage" I made after checking the
supermarket, it bears the Hansons brand name.

or is there some other brand available
in some Australian stores? Simply junket sell only unflavoured powder,
you see.

????? Now you have me thoroughly confused. I thought that unflavoured
junket was after given that you had asked about a rennet for making
junket????? The unflavoured powder would work the same as the Hanson's
tablets as the tablets are crushed to form a powder before adding to the
tepid milk.

Old 25-03-2007, 04:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
Checked out the junket in the local supermarket today. It IS Hansons brand
but the pic on the pack is different to the one at the website I quoted.

Thanks. With Hansons having ceased production at the end of 2005, it
sounds like the suppliers to your supermarket are drawing from a
stockpile. The tablets should be good for at least 3 or 4 years I'd
say, anyway.

As I'm limited to a text browser (no pics) I can't comment on any
illustration on the pack though.

I'm going to experiment with an extract of thistle flowers as an
alternative source of the rennin enzyme. I'd try the nettles, except I
haven't seen any stinging nettles since I was a kid and accidently ran
into a patch of nettles on a farm when a dog chased me as I edged too close
when admiring its newborn puppies! Do stinging nettles even grow wild
anywhere in Oz?

Maybe I'll crosspost the results of my thistle investigation to a
survivalism group! :-)
Old 30-03-2007, 01:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
[...]

i would be interested to know, too :-) jackie french is on about nettles all
the time yet i too have not seen them except once or twice as a kid.
(perhaps she grows them specially).
kylie
kylie

Old 30-03-2007, 02:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

i would be interested to know, too :-) jackie french is on about nettles all
the time yet i too have not seen them except once or twice as a kid.
(perhaps she grows them specially).

She probably does. I remember encountering wild stinging nettles from time to
time in Dad's garden, but they were little plants with leaves smaller than
mint leaves.

Now my Dad is growing European stinging nettles -- deliberately. They have
leaves up to the size of my hand and they do pack a punch. They are also high
in iron and vitamin C IIRC.

http://tinyurl.com/35lxv8

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 30-03-2007, 11:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

i would be interested to know, too :-) jackie french is on about nettles
all
the time yet i too have not seen them except once or twice as a kid.
(perhaps she grows them specially).

She probably does. I remember encountering wild stinging nettles from
time to
time in Dad's garden, but they were little plants with leaves smaller than
mint leaves.

Now my Dad is growing European stinging nettles -- deliberately. They
have
leaves up to the size of my hand and they do pack a punch. They are also
high
in iron and vitamin C IIRC.

http://tinyurl.com/35lxv8

A good place to look is veggie farms in colder districts. When my husband
worked on a cauli/cabbage farm he'd bring huge bunches home for me, although
they would not be organic by any stretch of the imagination.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue