Old 13-03-2007, 10:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default name this weed .......

There's a flat, spreading weed with thousands of prickles in tiny clusters
that you pick up in bare feet and once in your feet the tiny prickles are
indistinguishable from those of bindii. Its leaves are dark green and very
glossy, and it's distinctive in having one central turnip-like tuber: if
you can dig up the tuber, the whole plant lifts off the ground with it.
The seeds/prickles are widely distributed by vehicle tyres and shoes,
meaning the most likely place to find it is in the lawn alongside the car
tracks and on the edge of public footpaths. It is hardy and thrives as a
thick mat cover in infertile, compacted sandy soils. What is its name?

Zero doesn't have much effect on it; is it susceptible to any other
relatively safe weedicide?
Old 13-03-2007, 11:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
There's a flat, spreading weed with thousands of prickles in tiny clusters
that you pick up in bare feet and once in your feet the tiny prickles are
indistinguishable from those of bindii. Its leaves are dark green and very
glossy, and it's distinctive in having one central turnip-like tuber: if
you can dig up the tuber, the whole plant lifts off the ground with it.
The seeds/prickles are widely distributed by vehicle tyres and shoes,
meaning the most likely place to find it is in the lawn alongside the car
tracks and on the edge of public footpaths. It is hardy and thrives as a
thick mat cover in infertile, compacted sandy soils. What is its name?

Zero doesn't have much effect on it; is it susceptible to any other
relatively safe weedicide?

Try kerosene, and a match. If it goes woof, its a dogweed.
(Jon being facitious)
Dont let it go to seed. Dont try to identify it. Fry it
Old 13-03-2007, 12:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
There's a flat, spreading weed with thousands of prickles in tiny clusters
that you pick up in bare feet and once in your feet the tiny prickles are
indistinguishable from those of bindii. Its leaves are dark green and very
glossy, and it's distinctive in having one central turnip-like tuber: if
you can dig up the tuber, the whole plant lifts off the ground with it.
The seeds/prickles are widely distributed by vehicle tyres and shoes,
meaning the most likely place to find it is in the lawn alongside the car
tracks and on the edge of public footpaths. It is hardy and thrives as a
thick mat cover in infertile, compacted sandy soils. What is its name?

Zero doesn't have much effect on it; is it susceptible to any other
relatively safe weedicide?

Sorry re prevous post, plenty of those types of weeds about.
Try here.

http://www.weeds.org.au/

Old 13-03-2007, 12:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
There's a flat, spreading weed with thousands of prickles in tiny clusters
that you pick up in bare feet and once in your feet the tiny prickles are
indistinguishable from those of bindii. Its leaves are dark green and very
glossy, and it's distinctive in having one central turnip-like tuber: if
you can dig up the tuber, the whole plant lifts off the ground with it.
The seeds/prickles are widely distributed by vehicle tyres and shoes,
meaning the most likely place to find it is in the lawn alongside the car
tracks and on the edge of public footpaths. It is hardy and thrives as a
thick mat cover in infertile, compacted sandy soils. What is its name?

Zero doesn't have much effect on it; is it susceptible to any other
relatively safe weedicide?

Weed identification tool.
http://www.weeds.org.au/weedident.htm

Old 14-03-2007, 04:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

What a terrific website that is. Thanks. It will sure come in handy. Already
found plants in the listing, that I have and will take out now I know they
are weeds.

Katherine

Old 14-03-2007, 04:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

jones wrote:
What a terrific website that is. Thanks. It will sure come in handy. Already
found plants in the listing, that I have and will take out now I know they
are weeds.

Katherine

Weed identification tool.
http://www.weeds.org.au/weedident.htm

Yes is is.
I'm very lucky I have this knack for using Google.
(I ask the right qeustions) But were all dying to know, what was it
that you cant sit on and youre trying to get rid of?
Old 14-03-2007, 01:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sounds like Khaki Weed. Plenty of it up my way. I've had success with
zero. You just need to persist. I tend to go around and just spot spray
with the zero so i know it's getting a good soaking. If you have them bad
and the plant is of a good size you can hit it with round up. Get it before
it the bur grows.

Old 18-03-2007, 01:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Petesin" wh@tthe**** writes:
Sounds like Khaki Weed.

That's the culprit; confirmed from google's images library. Thanks.
Old 18-03-2007, 12:19 PM posted to aus.gardens

jones wrote:
What a terrific website that is. Thanks. It will sure come in handy. Already
found plants in the listing, that I have and will take out now I know they
are weeds.

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

If it isn't
1) edible,
2) herbal,
3) interesting, or
4) attactive,
then, around here it is a weed.
Old 18-03-2007, 03:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

Terryc wrote:
jones wrote:
What a terrific website that is. Thanks. It will sure come in handy.
Already found plants in the listing, that I have and will take out now
I know they are weeds.

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

If it isn't
1) edible,
2) herbal,
3) interesting, or
4) attactive, That would be a plant with tact? Or a war monger type plant?
then, around here it is a weed. Try convincing my missus.

Ive been saying I'm in charge of my garden, but it seems like the
weeds are.