Old 15-03-2007, 11:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default transplanting a tree fern

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth

Old 16-03-2007, 12:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

The Lady Gardener wrote:
I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth

No big root system,
But a wet soil and shade facing south will help
Just go in as deep as you can
Well drained soil is a no no
Old 16-03-2007, 07:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"The Lady Gardener" wrote in message
I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which
involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

They have virtually no root system. Move it quickly and put the hose
dripping in the crown of the plant and leave it to drip for a few days if
you can. I tied an old hessian bag round the trunk of one of mine tha was
suffering from the heat and made sure the hessian was wetted several time sa
day - it did it a lot of good while I continued the treatment but it
eventually died as I should have founda better spott for it.

Old 16-03-2007, 10:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"The Lady Gardener" wrote:

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Oh dear. They are forest plants AFAIK. Do you have a tree to plant it
under? Failing that, perhaps a spot on the south or south-eastern side of
your house?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 16-03-2007, 11:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

"The Lady Gardener" wrote in message
I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which
involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth

Hey Cuz,

Dig it out put it in a shady spot. Give it some seasol and some thrive a
fortnight later. Some say to put some sugar on the crown but I dunno I
reckon the ants would come in. These tree ferns are bombproof. if it fails
you can always grow elkhorns over the trunk.

Richard

Old 16-03-2007, 01:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Do these things have a big root system? Is there a right & wrong time to
move them? Or should I just adopt my usual method of move it which
involves
a shovel and crossed fingers, with the words of care "live or die".

Joanne in Perth

Hey Cuz,

Dig it out put it in a shady spot. Give it some seasol and some thrive a
fortnight later. Some say to put some sugar on the crown but I dunno I
reckon the ants would come in. These tree ferns are bombproof. if it fails
you can always grow elkhorns over the trunk.

Richard

I'm not precious about the plant, just kind of feel sorry for it in its
current position. If it lives, all well and good - if it dies then I will
look for elk horns. Two tree ferns died down the back, alas the plumbago
strangled them. (if only things would 'uninstall themselves' in my
garden as they do so regularly in other places)

Old 17-03-2007, 04:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

My treasured tree fern has just been burned off with the recent spell of
hot weather. It's been happily growing against a south facing wall,
where the eaves overhang so it gets protected from direct sun, so I feel
the hot winds might have been the culprit. Sometimes it gets a little
burned with salt spray with no ill effects.

As soon as I discovered it, I put a trickling hose into the crown and
keeping my fingers crossed that it recovers. The soil around this fern
is like a mat of fine roots but this has never been a problem as
rainwater seems to penetrate OK...until now!!

As you've stated, they are sold without a root system, actually they are
just cut off with a saw when they are collected in the forest.

Hoping Joanne's recovers too....keep us posted Joanne?
Bronwyn ;-)

LindaB wrote:

I've actually successfully moved a few, and do it by cutting off at
ground level, digging a deep hole and planting. I then keep it as damp
as I can by watering from the top, allowing water into the crown.

If you think about it, all the ones in nurseries are sold like that,
without a root system at all.

They are actually said to be best with their leaves in the sun and
their base in the shade (preferably damp), if you can manage that.

Cheers

Linda

Old 20-03-2007, 03:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day all

Checked my burned off tree fern this morning and new fronds are
appearing in the centres. Phew!!!

Funnily enough I was waiting for cooler weather to cut a pup off the
side so I'd have another plant......somehow think I'll postpone that for
a while and let the complete tree fern recover from this episode.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 20-03-2007, 10:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

Oh Chookie!!!
You are a Sydney Sider and haven't visited Mount Wilson?? They are growing
in Paddocks up there with no trees for a hundred metres.
What are we talking about here? Cyatheas or Dicksonias? Two very distinct
vspecies.

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"The Lady Gardener" wrote:

I have a tree fern that is about 5 years old, poor thing has struggled

for
all 5 years as I planted it in full sun, and the recent days of 42+ have
really convinced me that it was ill-sited!

Oh dear. They are forest plants AFAIK. Do you have a tree to plant it
under? Failing that, perhaps a spot on the south or south-eastern side of
your house?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You

may
Kerry Cue

Old 20-03-2007, 09:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article , "Potaroo"
wrote:

Oh Chookie!!!
You are a Sydney Sider and haven't visited Mount Wilson?? They are growing
in Paddocks up there with no trees for a hundred metres.

With the entire Great Dividing Range protecting them from westerly sun, I
presume? :-)

I've been to Mt Wilson only once and there seemed to be plenty of exotic
plants about in those big English-style gardens. Don't remember a single tree
fern...

http://www.brettthompson.com.au/LARG..._OF_FERNS.html
shows them with tree cover.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

You need another trip Chook!! And keep eyes wide open.....