Old 17-03-2007, 05:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the
variety now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing
strange about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they
were the regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes
can happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and
change the label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 17-03-2007, 06:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Many years ago in our innocence we bought some eucalypts from a nursery in
Perth, to go in our front garden. We picked them for (amongst other things)
height - we wanted ones that would go to about 3m - they just didn't stop
and 20 years later they are over 100 ft !! Fortunately we sold the house
before they got out of hand

Old 17-03-2007, 06:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

ROFLMHO!!! sounds like the easy option. Think I'd do the same!

Reminds me of the Flowering Cherry we bought many, many years ago, it
was supposed to be a double pink, can't think of the name at the
moment...anyway when it did flower it was a single, dirty
white/green/yuck colour and of course, the nursery said it wasn't bought
there...LOL

What else would you expect?

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 18-03-2007, 09:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the variety
now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing strange
about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they were the
regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes can
happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and change the
label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)

how annoying!!

but it has to be said, there are two kinds of nurseries - those which are
run by real nurserymen(andwomen), and the other kind. sigh!
kylie

Old 18-03-2007, 12:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Many years ago in our innocence we bought some eucalypts from a nursery in
Perth, to go in our front garden. We picked them for (amongst other things)
height - we wanted ones that would go to about 3m - they just didn't stop
and 20 years later they are over 100 ft !! Fortunately we sold the house
before they got out of hand

Made the same mistake with Banksias for the front garden. "won't grow
much higher than he gutter". Lol, every leaf is above the gutter.

Old 19-03-2007, 05:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC writes:
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the
variety now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing
strange about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they
were the regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes

Not a mistake; it's the oldest trick in the book. A customer before
you swapped the labels and got themselves a rare pink frangi for the
price of the common yellow! (They may even have broken off any blooms
so the cashier didn't spot the mislabel.) Then they leave it for some
unwary customer to purchase the common yellow for the price of the rare
pink! Nasty.
Old 20-03-2007, 03:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day John

Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 20-03-2007, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

You are so right Kylie....unfortunately this happens in most businesses
these days.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 29-03-2007, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC writes:
Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.

Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)
Old 29-03-2007, 04:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
HC writes:
Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.

Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?

Old 29-03-2007, 05:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jack wrote:

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?

A nursery?
probably {:-).

Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?

I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,
and the walls literally dripped with damp. Tried to kick my way out but
that just antagonised the guard. Many times I couldn't sleep for all the
plumbing noises. The experience turned me into a new person. I definitely
won't be going back!

Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days, with 3.5 days of for
great behavior. It was fun to have a look at the other side...
Never got booked again.
Because I aint gonna pay no fine ever again....
And they knew it...
Its become a nasty corporation driven system...
They havent invited me back either... Grin!!!

Figures are 10% to 15% dont pay their fines or have "gone misssing"
or go inside and pay them this way....
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,

Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days,

Ulp. Seems that my shot at humour went astray. (Hint: 8 months .... :-))
Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,

Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days,

Ulp. Seems that my shot at humour went astray. (Hint: 8 months .... :-))

Yep you were still born though.