Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2007, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the
variety now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing
strange about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they
were the regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes
can happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and
change the label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)

  #2   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2007, 07:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 68
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

Many years ago in our innocence we bought some eucalypts from a nursery in
Perth, to go in our front garden. We picked them for (amongst other things)
height - we wanted ones that would go to about 3m - they just didn't stop
and 20 years later they are over 100 ft !! Fortunately we sold the house
before they got out of hand

"HC" wrote in message
...
G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the variety
now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing strange
about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they were the
regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes can
happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and change the
label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)



  #3   Report Post  
Old 17-03-2007, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

ROFLMHO!!! sounds like the easy option. Think I'd do the same!

Reminds me of the Flowering Cherry we bought many, many years ago, it
was supposed to be a double pink, can't think of the name at the
moment...anyway when it did flower it was a single, dirty
white/green/yuck colour and of course, the nursery said it wasn't bought
there...LOL

What else would you expect?

Bronwyn ;-)

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Many years ago in our innocence we bought some eucalypts from a nursery in
Perth, to go in our front garden. We picked them for (amongst other things)
height - we wanted ones that would go to about 3m - they just didn't stop
and 20 years later they are over 100 ft !! Fortunately we sold the house
before they got out of hand

"HC" wrote in message
...

G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the variety
now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing strange
about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they were the
regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes can
happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and change the
label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)




  #4   Report Post  
Old 18-03-2007, 10:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 713
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

"HC" wrote in message
...
G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the variety
now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing strange
about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they were the
regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes can
happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and change the
label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)


how annoying!!

but it has to be said, there are two kinds of nurseries - those which are
run by real nurserymen(andwomen), and the other kind. sigh!
kylie


  #5   Report Post  
Old 18-03-2007, 01:26 PM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

Geoff & Heather wrote:
Many years ago in our innocence we bought some eucalypts from a nursery in
Perth, to go in our front garden. We picked them for (amongst other things)
height - we wanted ones that would go to about 3m - they just didn't stop
and 20 years later they are over 100 ft !! Fortunately we sold the house
before they got out of hand


Made the same mistake with Banksias for the front garden. "won't grow
much higher than he gutter". Lol, every leaf is above the gutter.


  #6   Report Post  
Old 19-03-2007, 06:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 276
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

HC writes:
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the
variety now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing
strange about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they
were the regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes


Not a mistake; it's the oldest trick in the book. A customer before
you swapped the labels and got themselves a rare pink frangi for the
price of the common yellow! (They may even have broken off any blooms
so the cashier didn't spot the mislabel.) Then they leave it for some
unwary customer to purchase the common yellow for the price of the rare
pink! Nasty.
--
John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)
  #7   Report Post  
Old 20-03-2007, 04:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants


G'day John

Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.

Bronwyn ;-)

John Savage wrote:

HC writes:

Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the
variety now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing
strange about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they
were the regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes



Not a mistake; it's the oldest trick in the book. A customer before
you swapped the labels and got themselves a rare pink frangi for the
price of the common yellow! (They may even have broken off any blooms
so the cashier didn't spot the mislabel.) Then they leave it for some
unwary customer to purchase the common yellow for the price of the rare
pink! Nasty.

  #8   Report Post  
Old 20-03-2007, 04:19 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 137
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

You are so right Kylie....unfortunately this happens in most businesses
these days.

Bronwyn ;-)

0tterbot wrote:
"HC" wrote in message
...

G'day
Today while browsing through a local nursery I noticed a Frangipani that
carried a ticket stating it was a red variety (can't think of the variety
now, sorry!) and a photo of amazing dark red blooms. Nothing strange
about that, until you looked at the blooms on the plant and they were the
regular white with yellow centre blooms.

I know I've been caught by incorrect tagging in the past and these days
try to only buy a plant that is actually in bloom. I know mistakes can
happen but you'd think the nursery person would notice this and change the
label? This tree wasn't cheap either!

Bronwyn ;-)



how annoying!!

but it has to be said, there are two kinds of nurseries - those which are
run by real nurserymen(andwomen), and the other kind. sigh!
kylie


  #9   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2007, 02:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 276
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

HC writes:
Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.


Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)
--
John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)
  #10   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2007, 05:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

John Savage wrote:
HC writes:
Hadn't thought of that scenario.....shows how honest I am?? LOL
Although thinking again now, the price tickets were sticky type ones
stuck to the side of the pots, in this instance.


Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?


  #11   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2007, 06:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 149
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

Jack wrote:

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?


A nursery?
probably {:-).

  #12   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2007, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

Terryc wrote:
Jack wrote:

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?


A nursery?
probably {:-).

Yeah good one!
  #13   Report Post  
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

John Savage wrote:
Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
Ah, so they just swapped the pots!
That explains why the plant slipped effortlessly from its pot when
you went to plant it out! :-)

Wow you are teaching us some BAD things John ()grin!()
Were you ever inside?


I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,
and the walls literally dripped with damp. Tried to kick my way out but
that just antagonised the guard. Many times I couldn't sleep for all the
plumbing noises. The experience turned me into a new person. I definitely
won't be going back!

Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days, with 3.5 days of for
great behavior. It was fun to have a look at the other side...
Never got booked again.
Because I aint gonna pay no fine ever again....
And they knew it...
Its become a nasty corporation driven system...
They havent invited me back either... Grin!!!

Figures are 10% to 15% dont pay their fines or have "gone misssing"
or go inside and pay them this way....
  #14   Report Post  
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 276
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,


Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days,


Ulp. Seems that my shot at humour went astray. (Hint: 8 months .... :-))
--
John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)
  #15   Report Post  
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2007
Posts: 34
Default Incorrect name tags on nursery plants

John Savage wrote:
Jack writes:
John Savage wrote:
I spent 8 months inside once. The cell was cramped, dark and airless,

Yeah I once paid a traffic fine that way. 7 days,


Ulp. Seems that my shot at humour went astray. (Hint: 8 months .... :-))

Yep you were still born though.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 07:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 09:22 AM
Incorrect fuel - 2 stroke mower. [email protected] Australia 1 18-05-2007 01:28 PM
Incorrect fuel - 2 stroke mower. [email protected] Australia 14 18-05-2007 08:45 AM
Me is baaack!!!!!!!!!! CATION: Politically Incorrect Ray Orchids 2 07-09-2003 11:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017