Old 17-03-2007, 08:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Killing weed seeds in soil.

I have lots of soil but when I use it all the weed seeds sprout constantly.
If I filled a big tub with water over the soil would the seeds die and drown
after 2 weeks or more?
thanks
http://polly.cultureforum.net
Albert

Old 17-03-2007, 01:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

Albert wrote:
I have lots of soil but when I use it all the weed seeds sprout constantly.
If I filled a big tub with water over the soil would the seeds die and drown
after 2 weeks or more?
thanks
http://polly.cultureforum.net
Albert

No But you could try boiling water.
Not guaranteed. Steam would kill them. But how do you apply that?
Heating it somehow will do, solaristation is often used. Try wrapping
the pot in plastic, and leaving it in the full hot sun for a while.
That could do the trick.
Also, putting a few of the pots with recently watered soil on your car
(it kills people)It can heat up to well over 50 C in summer time in
full sun.
Just an idea...
Old 17-03-2007, 06:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day albert,

cover it with newspaper and mulch.

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:58:28 GMT, "Albert"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 18-03-2007, 09:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jack" wrote in message
Albert wrote:
I have lots of soil but when I use it all the weed seeds sprout
constantly.
If I filled a big tub with water over the soil would the seeds die and
drown after 2 weeks or more?
thanks
http://polly.cultureforum.net
Albert

No

actually it would, but it might take a long time. seeds drown in about two
weeks. i suppose seeds still in soil would take somewhat longer. or perhaps
not.

but anyway, what len said - mulch is the answer!
kylie