Old 21-03-2007, 09:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default looking for photo album program?

g'day friends,

we have lots of pictures (jpg/jpeg) that we want to archive/catalogue
into an album type program that will allow for captions.

it will be best if it is standalone type program that you actually
create albums and put pictures into so that these albums can be
transfered from the hdd to a back up drive and shared around, like the
way documents for word processing are catalogued.

we then also hope to clean up lots of unwanted pic's off our hdd.

the albums would need to be seen on a physical position on the tree.

not sure if i've expained that well enough but don't know any other
way.

tai for all and any assistance
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 21-03-2007, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
lb lb is offline

"len garden" wrote in message
g'day friends,

we have lots of pictures (jpg/jpeg) that we want to archive/catalogue
into an album type program that will allow for captions.

it will be best if it is standalone type program that you actually
create albums and put pictures into so that these albums can be
transfered from the hdd to a back up drive and shared around, like the
way documents for word processing are catalogued.

we then also hope to clean up lots of unwanted pic's off our hdd.

the albums would need to be seen on a physical position on the tree.

not sure if i've expained that well enough but don't know any other
way.

tai for all and any assistance
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Picasa (now run by Google) could be what you're after (and it's free too).

http://picasa.google.com/

Liam.

Old 21-03-2007, 08:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day liam,

thanks for the suggestion, but no looked at picasa and a couple otehrs
like it and along with kodak eazyshare they don't create actual albums
and they don't don't actually take the pic's into the program they are
like a virtual thing, so they do everything except what to me is the
important thing and that is standalone, like your documents folder
attached to your word processor.

i ahve found other programs tat stand alone but most seem to be set up
to put the pic's inot a slide format for entertinment viewing, we are
wanting to archive our pic's of 30 years or more so lots of scanning
to do, and once done i can then clean up/organise those picture files.

ta

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:51:36 +0900, "lb" wrote:

"len garden" wrote in message
.. .
g'day friends,

snipped

Old 21-03-2007, 10:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

Len, I am not 100% clear on what you are trying to do, but I think you
want the album program to contain all the photos. I can't remember
seeing any album program working this way.

However, have a look at IdImager (www.idimager.com). It is mainly aimed
at cataloguing your photos but it also does albums, slideshows, etc plus
archiving to CD. The best thing to me is that photos archived to CD are
still searchable in IdImager. It just prompts to insert the CD (and
tells you which one) if you want to use the full size photo rather than
the thumbnail image. There is a free lite version which includes most
functionality plus trial versions of the Professional and Personal
versions.

Anyway, back to the point, after you create albums (virtual like in
Picasa), you can archive a complete album to CD giving you the complete
set of photos on a standalone CD which you can give to someone else to
view. I think this is what you want to do. Alternatively, you can create
slideshows, videos or websites of your album to CD.

Check out the free lite version to see if this is what you want as it
has all the album and archiving functionality. Be warned, this is high
end software so it has a lot of functionality and so looks very daunting
at first, but it is well worth the effort to learn.

Graham Corbin
Old 21-03-2007, 10:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

thanks graham,

i will check that one out.

maybe i could expain it like this we want to archive/catalogue/album
all our family pic's, nothing fancy just the abilty for captions
(necessary).

so imagine we have all those pics in hard copy photo albums now like
most would do, we are wanting a program that will allow us to do that
on our computer, then as i see it like in my documents folder i can go
to any folder or any document edit or drag and drop whatever i wish to
do.

so idealy the program we use would list the albums/whatever in a
physical way on the tree.

we've been doing some searches but very hard for us to work out
exactly what some of the programs will or won't do.

http://www.brothersoft.com/graphics_...sic_34471.html

http://www.onlogic.co.nz/

http://www.photo-freeware.net/local-...y-software.php

your opinions and ideas most welcome, hoping i have explained it all
better?

tia

snipped

Old 22-03-2007, 10:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Have a look at Flip Album www.flipalbum.com I checked out over 25 programs
before I settled on this on because it allowed me a great deal of
flexibility in how the album was set out, and also it was one of the few I
found that will make self-running CD albums that you can give to people.
The CD contains a directory where copies of the original photos are stored.
It looks like a real photo album on the screen, but you can choose the
binding, paper, background colours etc. The web sire has about 5,000 frames
you can use to tart up the images - I think there is a free version which I
started with then decided it was worth the $40 or so to get the version with
all the bells and whistled

"len garden" wrote in message
[...]

snipped

Old 22-03-2007, 11:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Try Flash Album Studio from www.photo-to-dvd.com/flash-album-studio.html/

Old 22-03-2007, 11:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Again, I am not confident I really understand your needs but IDimager
will do what I think you are after. To summarise, IDimager has built in
- downloader with lots of smarts to automatically download photos from
camera, save in directories dependent on photos and set file names
dependent on photos
- Catalogue explorer to arrange photos on disc. ie. rename files &
directories and move, etc.
- Album Explorer to organise photos in an Album hierarchy, just like a
disc structure but independent to it. Photos can be in multiple albums,
etc. Albums give you another way to organise your photos independently
to where they are stored on your hard disc or CDs.
- Full access to EXIF photo data including ability to store Titles,
Headlines, Descriptions, Keywords, Ratings plus heaps more fields in
EXIF and even your own fields you create. (EXIF is how all the camera
information like photo date, camera model, camera configuration, etc is
stored in the photo file.)
- Photos are fully searchable by all EXIF data, even the keyword
hierarchy making keywords a very very powerful way to find your photos.
- Photo editing with all the usual things plus the ability to add Titles
and Watermarks and even batch add these.
- You can save directories and/or Albums including hierarchies to CD as
JPGs, as a website or as a video slideshow. These can have titles added
if you wish plus you have complete control over how things are exported.
- Lots more stuff, but I won't bore you anymore.

I think Albums will do everything you require plus more. When you wish
to share your photos with others, I think a website or slideshow on CD
will meet your needs. I suggest you just download IDimager Lite (free)
and see if it meets your needs. You can download the manuals at
http://www.idimager.com/downloadmanuals.htm (20MB) and the program at
http://www.idimager.com/download.htm (39.5MB) so these are hefty
downloads but well worth it. Again, I warn this is high end software so
it does an awful lot of stuff and looks very daunting to start. It takes
a while to understand its features so be prepared to take some time to
come to grips with it.

By the way, I am not associated with IDimager in any way. I did a lot of
searching to find some photo organisation software and found everything
was very lacking, especially the ability to work with photos stored on
CD or DVD. I came across IDimager and found it does everything I need
plus much more. It does so much I am still discovering really useful
stuff in it. I use the Lite version myself and find it excellent, doubly
so with a price of $0. Check it out. The effort to learn a top end
program like IDimager is worth it to avoid the limitations inherent in
the simpler programs.

PS. Sorry this is such a long post. I get carried away some times!
Old 22-03-2007, 08:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

thanks geoff & heather,

we will be looking at that one, are you able to say if the program
creaes a physical address for the albums on the hdd, and do yo
actually save the pictures into the program/albums in that physical
sense?

tia

snipped

Old 22-03-2007, 08:49 PM posted to aus.gardens

thnaks graham,

we will be looking at IDimager then, and i don't mind long posts, will
let you know waht we decide on.

i am finding it hard to get across exactly waht we want as i am naive
to pooter jargon, but so long as the program doesn't operate in a
virtual sense then it will be what we want.

snipped

Old 22-03-2007, 08:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

thanks,

will lok at this program along with the others.

snipped

Old 26-03-2007, 07:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mar 22, 6:46 pm, Graham Corbin wrote:
[...]

Many friends recommend Wondershare slideshow software to me. And I
have tried them and find they are real very nice. For example,
Wondershare Flash SlideShow Builder is easy to create customized flash
slideshows with soundtracks and eye-catching effects, together with
your own voice narration, text captions and photo templates. Built in,
exclusive Theme Designer polishes your creativity to customize
animated templates. And Wondershare Flash Album Studio creates fun-to-
watch flash albums for LAZY people. Start with cool predesigned
styles, and apply creative cliparts and effects to turn your show into
something special. You can also show off your slideshows on your WEB,
Blog and Myspace, etc.

You can download them free here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/index.php?sid=8
A specific tutorial which guides you use it step by step is here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/fsb/tutorial.php?sid=8

Hope this helps!

Old 29-03-2007, 10:48 AM posted to aus.gardens
YY YY is offline

Wondershare Flash Album Studio, that's what you need.
http://www.flash-slide-show.com/flas...udio.php?sid=3

---- Color your digital life ---
Complete Solutions for You Picture Slideshow
http://flashslideshow.blogspot.com

[...]

Small Web Album of my garden, the sick Conifers, and other questions [H]omer United Kingdom 11 30-07-2005 04:22 AM
OT My favorite album Doug Kanter Gardening 1 23-07-2005 09:32 PM
My Brother's Ponds. Link to on line photo album of his ponds. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 14 03-07-2004 04:04 AM
Weird album form Dicky Orchids 3 26-06-2004 09:10 AM
NEW ALBUM REPOST Phillip Sherman Gardening 0 28-10-2003 02:02 PM