GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning a standard ficus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/155821-pruning-standard-ficus.html)

Luke 24-03-2007 11:08 PM

Pruning a standard ficus

When is the best time to prune a standard ficus, I have this very large one
in a half wine barrel however it's canopy is quite spindly, I want to cut it
back to try and make the tree alot denser. How far back should I cut it?

Cheers
Luke

[email protected][_2_] 25-03-2007 07:49 AM

Pruning a standard ficus

On Mar 25, 9:08 am, "Luke" wrote:
When is the best time to prune a standard ficus, I have this very large one
in a half wine barrel however it's canopy is quite spindly, I want to cut it
back to try and make the tree alot denser. How far back should I cut it?

Cheers
Luke

I am not sure what you mean by "standard ficus". If you mean the
elastica type (rubber tree) they are damn near immortal. You can cut
them anytime and almost any amount. Reducing it by half would not be a
problem at all. If you want to be picky wait until August (I assume
you are in Oz) but now would very likely be fine especially in the
warmer districts.

I have one about 3m high in a 40cm pot that has been there for 30
years (not joking). It has so overgrown the pot it falls over unless
wired back to the wall. It is never fertilised or re-potted and rarely
watered, I beat it back randomly as it is likely to escape the pot by
sending a root up over the side looking for victims. Very dangerous
plants ficus elastica, must be disciplined harshly. Keep an eye on
small children and pets in its vicinity, toy dogs have been known to
vanish mysteriously. Never, *ever* even think about planting it out.

If you mean ficus benjamina (weeping fig) they are also tough and deal
well with pruning but I would be less ruthless. Wait until August for
major pruning and prune by up to a third, although you may well get
away with more. If you water it and feed it come Spring it will
respond very well and bush up.

David

len garden 25-03-2007 08:05 PM

Pruning a standard ficus

g'day luke,

anytime mate theyr grow like a weed so as often as you need to give it
a trim to keep it looking neat and pretty is as often as you can do
it.

do it on a weekly basis if you so desire.

sooner or later you are going to have to tip it from the pot and
remove some root ball so you can freshen up the potting mix, unless
you plan on potting on into ever larger and larger pots?? not a good
way to go! oh and never be tempted to plant it out in open space
anywhere dump it first.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:38:38 +0930, "Luke"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

John Savage 26-03-2007 12:04 AM

Pruning a standard ficus

"Luke" writes:
When is the best time to prune a standard ficus, I have this very large one
in a half wine barrel however it's canopy is quite spindly, I want to cut it
back to try and make the tree alot denser. How far back should I cut it?

Don't prune it just now, anyway. We are just into Autumn and could still
get a scorching hot day, and the newly exposed leaves could get burnt.
I don't know when the best time would be; but not right now.