Old 26-03-2007, 01:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Citrus leaf curl

i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

Old 26-03-2007, 11:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Steve wrote:
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

Water more often?
Old 26-03-2007, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Steve wrote:
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

Water more often?

i water well every day

Old 26-03-2007, 12:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mar 26, 10:50 am, "Steve" wrote:
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

It may be citrus leaf miner. If the curled leaves have silver/grey
trails underneath then this will be the cause. There is no cure but
white oil can prevent it. I made my own using equal parts vegetable
oil and water with a dash of detergent. Spray this on new foliage. It
worked for my lemon tree in a pot but it's since kicked up its heels
as I can't water it enough in Brisbane

Here is a good refernce: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1397350.htm

Joel

Old 27-03-2007, 01:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

citrus gall wasp infestation can also cause new growth to curl up from the
plant being stressed, and as far as i know the only way to get rid of it is
to remove the infected branches (the ones with the little swollen nodes on
them) and use white oil to try and prevent reinfestation, keep the
fertilizer and water up to the plant too.
hope this helps
"Jolly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old 27-03-2007, 02:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jolly wrote:
citrus gall wasp infestation can also cause new growth to curl up from the
plant being stressed, and as far as i know the only way to get rid of it is
to remove the infected branches (the ones with the little swollen nodes on
them) and use white oil to try and prevent reinfestation, keep the
fertilizer and water up to the plant too.
hope this helps
"Jolly" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 26, 10:50 am, "Steve" wrote:
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

It may be citrus leaf miner. If the curled leaves have silver/grey
trails underneath then this will be the cause. There is no cure but
white oil can prevent it. I made my own using equal parts vegetable
oil and water with a dash of detergent. Spray this on new foliage. It
worked for my lemon tree in a pot but it's since kicked up its heels
as I can't water it enough in Brisbane

Here is a good refernce:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1397350.htm

Joel

Plants will fall victim to these problems if the basics arent met. First
of all make sure you have the plants in a situation of plenty of
fertiliser, chook manure works wonders with citrus, and silverbeet will
really take of with this stuff.
Proper watering is also a necessity. If you overdo the watering, that
can also create a problem with root rot. (same effect as not watering,
not enough nutrients reach the plant) So if what youre doing is not
working, dont do it for a while and try something else. (sounds inane
but it works for me)
I have never had any problems with silverbeet, and its seen as
unburstable locally, so it may be something a simple as shallow depth of
soils, not enough drainage, soil too sandy soil hasnt got enough humus.
Let us know how you go. Also try changing position of plant next time,
as this will help assess the rpoblem.
Old 27-03-2007, 06:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Steve" wrote in message

"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Steve wrote:
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve

Water more often?

i water well every day
If you don't mind me saying please don't water your Cutrus every day that
is far too oftem, once or twice a week if its in a pot once a week if its
in the ground is fine.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

I get citrus leaf miner that can cause havoc with new growth, but read once
not to fertilize after the end of Dec as the leaf miner come towards the end
of summer. Seems to be about right for Newcastle. The first attack wasn't
until mid Jan, but fortunately as the trees hadn't been given a good burst
of food for a month there wasn't much new growth at that time.

Weekly application of white oil seems to limit the problems. Rogor
(Leybacid) works a treat on my grapefruit and valencia orange, killing the
grubs already in the leaves - but was a disaster on my limes. The bottle
says not to use on Myer Lemons as it can cause leaf drop - it also does on
limes ! - mind you I didn't get any leaf miner on the limes - there were no
leaves for them to get into. Lime recovered quickly and is now cropping
well.

Cheers,
Geoff

"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Jolly wrote:
citrus gall wasp infestation can also cause new growth to curl up from
the plant being stressed, and as far as i know the only way to get rid of
it is to remove the infected branches (the ones with the little swollen
nodes on them) and use white oil to try and prevent reinfestation, keep
the fertilizer and water up to the plant too.
hope this helps
"Jolly" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old 29-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve[_7_] View Post
i got a few citrus plant and the leaves curl up, it is only on the new
shoots, how do i stop this?
steve
You dont need to nessecarily stop this. I have 3 citrus trees that grow in pots and this is normal. Uncommonly this could be a bug eating the leaves. To get rid of the bugs, you can spray insecticidel soap which you can buy at most landscaping centers.

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
Leaf curl on wattle Cheryl Robinson Australia 0 19-12-2003 08:03 PM
Leaf curl on plum tree Udo Dölz United Kingdom 0 20-06-2003 10:56 PM
peach leaf curl H United Kingdom 1 10-06-2003 05:20 PM
crypt leaf curl? linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 24-04-2003 03:32 AM