Old 29-03-2007, 05:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default CACTUS FLOWER

Hallo Group Members,
on my website www.rent-a-cloud.com there is a photo 'CACTUS
FLOWER' (under 'Greencards'). Could somebody, please, tell me its
correct common and botannical names? It is a cactus that grows in tall
multiple columns and, in this case, in temperate climate near Sydney.
Many thanks - Klaus Jaritz

Old 29-03-2007, 10:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

On 28 Mar 2007 21:19:23 -0700, "blacklight"
wrote:

Hallo Group Members,
on my website www.rent-a-cloud.com there is a photo 'CACTUS
FLOWER' (under 'Greencards'). Could somebody, please, tell me its
correct common and botannical names? It is a cactus that grows in tall
multiple columns and, in this case, in temperate climate near Sydney.
Many thanks - Klaus Jaritz

Looks like a Cereus type.... Hell I don't knwo their full names...

Have a lovely fruit ! When you get them.....
Old 28-04-2007, 02:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"blacklight" writes:
on my website www.rent-a-cloud.com there is a photo 'CACTUS
FLOWER' (under 'Greencards'). Could somebody, please, tell me its
correct common and botannical names? It is a cactus that grows in tall
multiple columns and, in this case, in temperate climate near Sydney.
Many thanks - Klaus Jaritz

Hi. Your site uses javascript, so I can't access it. But a tall
cactus I'd been chasing the name of turned out to be a Cereus cactus
named Peruvian Monster or Peruvian Apple because of its edible fruit.
It has large white flowers which tend to open at night, probably so
that it can be pollinated by bats or moths. I've seen it growing in
Sydney and colder frost-prone climes, and is much admired for its
stately columns.

This info might get you started, anyway.
Old 28-04-2007, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"blacklight" writes:
on my website www.rent-a-cloud.com there is a photo 'CACTUS
FLOWER' (under 'Greencards'). Could somebody, please, tell me its
correct common and botannical names? It is a cactus that grows in tall
multiple columns and, in this case, in temperate climate near Sydney.

Your message didn't show up on my news server so I'm piggy backing on John's
response.

I can't see enough of the actual plant and that is pretty vital to
identifying the plant. The flower looks very like the one on my Nopalxochia
phyllanthoides "Dautche Kaiserin" but that is a draping cacti so it can't be
that.
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week122.shtml