Old 20-04-2003, 01:32 AM
rapdor

Default best way to kill golden cane palm?

gday we want to kill a large golden cane palm and replace it with a
greenhouse so we need to kill the golden cane stone dead, along with the
50,000 seeds in the soil the current plan is to cut it off at ground
level, drill holes in the stumps and pour undiluted roundup into the holes
then drench the area (2mx2m) with sump oil and cover with about 75mm of
gravel any comments on this plan much appreciated

Old 20-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Andrew G

"rapdor" wrote in message
gday we want to kill a large golden cane palm and replace it with a
greenhouse so we need to kill the golden cane stone dead, along with

the
50,000 seeds in the soil the current plan is to cut it off at ground
level, drill holes in the stumps and pour undiluted roundup into the holes
then drench the area (2mx2m) with sump oil and cover with about 75mm of
gravel any comments on this plan much appreciated

Rather than using roundup get some blackberry and tree killer.
Cut the stump off about a foot or 2 above ground level and paint this killer
over the cut area, and drill holes in the side of the stump at different
heights around it and pour the stuff in.
Even scarring the outside of the stump and paint the wounds with it will all
add to it.
This should kill it off, then about 5weeks after cut the stump off as low as
possible, then perhaps paint the cut area again as double insurance.
Don't use sump oil to kill the seeds. It will work, but may leach out of the
soil into the water table or diffuse into other parts of you yard killing
anything in the ground. Besides that it's something you wouldn't wanna get
caught doing as it's illegal. Even using sump oil to treat sleepers is now
illegal.
Best way to do it would be use boiling water on the soil. It may take a
while, but could work. Then use black plastic (builders plastic, the thick
stuff, not weedmat) doubled over, laid on the area.
Then use the gravel.
Is the gravel being used as the floor?

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 20-04-2003, 01:44 PM
rapdor

"Andrew G" wrote in message

[...]

OK, I asked for advice and I got it. Many thanks Andrew, I will follow your
advice. Yes, gravel will be used as the floor, so will use the builders
plastic idea too. Very helpful, much obliged.

Golden Cane Palm - Separating Bertiesmum Australia 0 11-05-2006 12:35 AM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
Golden Cane Palms eurekaoz Australia 7 15-05-2005 05:15 PM
Pests on my Golden Cane Palm Brisbane QLD knll Australia 11 04-10-2004 08:11 AM
golden Cane Palms kyte Australia 5 06-10-2003 09:23 AM