Old 19-06-2007, 01:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
M M is offline

Default cat remedy

Roberta Bagshaw wrote:
In most enlightened communities it has become recognised that cat (and
dog) problems are a community concern.

With respect, Roberta, I think you are still missing an important point.
In the first instance, the responsibility must be the owners rather than
making it a community concern. Only because their are so many
irresponsible cat owners does is become necessary for others to try to
solve the (growing) problem. That really is not fair.

Old 19-06-2007, 01:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
M M is offline

And now, because it seems I have lost the ability to spell and to
compose a proper sentence, I am going to bed. (Hope the wind and rain
keep the cats away from our front garden.)
Old 19-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to aus.gardens

M wrote:
And now, because it seems I have lost the ability to spell and to
compose a proper sentence, I am going to bed. (Hope the wind and rain
keep the cats away from our front garden.)

dats 2 of us.
Have a good night.
Old 19-06-2007, 10:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

My Dad wasn't intending to scare them away - he had to pick up the remains
and bury them :-)

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Having a small pond and a small fish population, eg 5 goldfish we noticed
them disappearing at nights.
Suspecting foul play, we rigged up an electronic low voltage transformer,
with a ignition coil and wired it around the pond.
Testing it personally it seemed that it worked. It didnt seem to kill
humans, but gave them a shock. (Some unkind people would say I tested it
on an animal doing this) At around two oclock, a dog completed the
circuit. The loud yelping as it ran for cover woke the whole court and was
the talk for days. The neighborhood kids didnt come round for some time
either. As the current was measured in microamps it was safe enough. So be
sure to know what youre doing before setting things up for possums. Theyre
not likely to be standing in a pool of water like this dumb dog was.
The voltage on an old valve radio can be from 200 volts to over 380
volts from memory so isnt the safest, as current would also be excessive.
Do not use it.
Its current is measured to some 200 Milliamps.
If youre not sure, use a transistor radio (grin)

SG1 wrote:
"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
u...
My Dad used to tell a great story about when he was plagued with cats.
he was an amateur radio enthusiast and in those days radios were built
with Vacuum tubes and valves which ran off incredibly high voltage and
reasonable amperage, so the trick was a sheet of wire mesh with a bowl
of milk in the middle - one wire from the power supply on the wire one
in the milk. Cat completes the circuit , shoots six feet in the air,
hair standing on end and blue flames coming out its ears - comes down
stiff as a board. Claims he got 6 in one night, but by the time the 4th
one approached, his mate was hysterical with laughter and missed the
last 3.

Gee and I have an old Kreisler valve job sitting in the laundry (still
works radio that is) only 35 years old. Damn feral got into my blood &
bone the other night but have not been able to get any mince I would eat
so it lives a bit longer.

Old 19-06-2007, 10:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

If you want humane zapping - our local Bunnings store sell battery powered
electric fence systems designed for small animals. I was having trouble
with my dogs fighting with the neighbours dogs along the fence so I
installed an electric fence along my side. Dogs got zapped twice and the
problem was solved. I haven't had power on the fence for 12 months, but
they still don't go near it. I even put the same white wire around a lizard
hole the dogs were starting to dig up. Even without powering up the system
the dogs decided there where better things they could do.

Geoff
"Vampyre" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 19, 12:08 pm, "Roberta Bagshaw"
wrote:
In a civilized humane society there are rules (animal welfare laws) about
the way we go about getting rid of pest animals.

Most city and shire councils are able to provide humane traps that can be
used to catch nuisance animals (usually cats), and the animals are then
able
to be euthanised humanely.

I suggest you take this option if you are having problems, rather than
encouraging each other in inhumane, cruel (and possibly illegal)
practices.

~Roberta~

snip
My council only provides cages for a week or so, and there is a 4
month wait last I checked. After a lengthy problem with multiple
pests, my neighbour and I went halves and bought ourselves one, we've
caught around 14 between us.
We're fortunate that our council fines the owners if they want the cat
back. At least that's some deterrent. If the cat isn't claimed in a
week or so, I believe it is put down.

It's interesting how cat owners don't seem to want their pets back.
Out of the 14, only about 3 have had collars, and only 1 has ever been
seen again after it went to the council.

Quite a few councils still simply return the cat to it's selfish
owners, no penalties. Make sure your council isn't one of them, cats
are really hard to catch twice...

Old 20-06-2007, 03:56 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Roberta Bagshaw" wrote in message
In a civilized humane society there are rules (animal welfare laws) about
the way we go about getting rid of pest animals.

Most city and shire councils are able to provide humane traps that can be
used to catch nuisance animals (usually cats), and the animals are then
able to be euthanised humanely.

I suggest you take this option if you are having problems, rather than
encouraging each other in inhumane, cruel (and possibly illegal)
practices.

~Roberta~

This a gardening newsgroup.......

Have you NO SENSE of HUMUS????????????

Old 20-06-2007, 04:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yup Socialites or should that read "societies" ills are best dealt with
in the garden
Getting down and dirty, as ground level, not to far removed from the
situation.
Shoot em I say, and the cats too.

If they dare come here again they know what to expect
We'll see em off.
The problem with people that think they know everything
is that they annoy the hell out of those of us that actually do!

Old 20-06-2007, 09:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
My Dad wasn't intending to scare them away - he had to pick up the remains
and bury them :-)

And you add a smiley face to this sick tale!

Giving cats a hit with a small electric current is a deterrent and one which
is used in many areas of animals husbandry. I find that acceptable but
certainly not killing cat's in this fashion and then calling it a "great
story".

Old 23-06-2007, 03:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

Yeah, and zapped ourselves a sourpuss as well.
And I found out I havent got a sense of humour, and a lot of other
things besides.
This area is really informative :}
I would hate to think about using weed killer.
I would use it in the nicest possible way, honest....

Old 24-06-2007, 10:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
The story is in the way its told rather than the content :-)

A good yarn teller is talented and I know that often it is in the telling
that can be the funny bit, but I hate the thought of cats (or any animal)
being electrocuted.

I live on a farm and we have to kill animals but it's not something that
ever comes easily.

Dunno how soldiers can manage to kill humans and cope with it - poor sods.
Apparently in WWI, there were few casualties for the number of bullets used
but modern weaponry is much more "efficient and effective".

Old 27-06-2007, 12:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

To be honest, I never knew if it was only a story - or one that had been
embellished with the telling. But with my Dad's pathological hatred of cats,
I'm guessing he got a couple - I reckon it would be quick though - not like
snail pellets, or rabbit traps as happened to my daughters cat in Melbourne.

I did a bit of work in NZ many years ago for the Possum Control Board - we
were shooting around 80 possums per night - they were in plague proportions
and something had to be done to save the forest and pastures - with than
number it becomes rather impersonal.

Geoff

Old 27-06-2007, 01:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

Yes that sort of thing happens during a war.
Its not really fair when they cant shoot back though is it?
I reckon that if cats dont want to be electrifried they should wear
rubber boots!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

(snip)
Dunno how soldiers can manage to kill humans and cope with it - poor sods.
Apparently in WWI, there were few casualties for the number of bullets
used but modern weaponry is much more "efficient and effective".

ww2 was the same. what happened was firstly that countries (e.g. the u.s.)
decided to train specifically for close combat - otherwise, as they had
seen, people simply weren't very good at killing other people at close range
unless they have a personal gripe (which they generally didn't). people
aren't very murderous at all as it transpires, so without specific training
to do so, most of them just can't do it. by the korean war, soldiers were
trained to be close-combat killers & kill-rates were much higher. i doubt
that was an advance in the scheme of things, but there you are.

secondly, "modern weaponry" does not require much level of personal
involvement to kill someone. the killer is placed aside from those s/he is
supposed to kill & can do so from a distance.

sigh.
kylie

Old 04-07-2007, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

In the future the robots will kill people, robots and anything in its way.
Till it runs out of ammo.
There cant be that many cats can there?

(snip)