Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Do coffee grounds help or hinder plants?

"Claude" wrote in message
Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the

health
of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used when turf is
laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are in
declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on them!

used coffee grounds are fine on the lawn if sprinkled fairly thinly, don't
use as a mulch on lawn unless you want to kill it. There is some debate
about the acidity of used grounds. If that is a concern long term check the
ph of your soil and adjust it with lime as necessary. An occasional usage
isn't any problem. Same with coffee grounds on gardens. The odd plant may
not like it whereas I have found all my vegetables, shrubs and lawn do fine
with coffee grounds.

rob

Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Claude" wrote in message
Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the
health of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used when
turf is laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are
in declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on them!

From memory coffee is acidic which will make the soil sour. So the ground
will be good for azaleas, gardenias and camellias because they like acid
soils. Not so good for things that like neutral pH to slightly alkaline
conditions. I would suggest a handful of lime, dolomite or rockdust to even
the ledger as all are alkaline.

Cheers

Dick

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day claude,

i ahve never used them as getting them is too much of a hassle, but
whilst i ahve read of concerns over acidity, i have also seen rheems
of good input about their uses, there are a lot of gardeners
especially in the US of A who use them in their gardens, my massage
therapist swears by them he reckons the best addition he has ever
used.

maybe make sure you share the dreggs around and not always in the same
place?

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 01:58:47 GMT, "Claude"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 09-04-2007, 11:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 01:58:47 GMT, "Claude" wrote:

Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the health
of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used when turf is
laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are in
declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on them!

They might keep the plants awake at night.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

Claude wrote:
Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the health
of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used when turf is
laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are in
declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on them!

Cant vouch for this but

Coffee by-products can be used in the garden and farm as follows:

* Sprinkle used grounds around plants before rain or watering,
for a slow-release nitrogen.
* Add to compost piles to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee
filters and tea bags break down rapidly during composting.
* Dilute with water for a gentle, fast-acting liquid fertilizer.
Use about a half-pound can of wet grounds in a five-gallon bucket of
water; let sit outdoors to achieve ambient temperature.
* Mix into soil for houseplants or new vegetable beds.
* Encircle the base of the plant with a coffee and eggshell
barrier to repel pests.
* If you are into vermi-posting, feed a little bit to your worms
they will work better, be more alert stay awake and be on the
job longer.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"Claude" wrote in message
Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the
health of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used

when
turf is laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are
in declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on

them!

From memory coffee is acidic which will make the soil sour. So the ground
will be good for azaleas, gardenias and camellias because they like acid
soils. Not so good for things that like neutral pH to slightly alkaline
conditions. I would suggest a handful of lime, dolomite or rockdust to

even
the ledger as all are alkaline.

Cheers

Dick

the balance of consensus I have read acorss various web pages is that coffee
grounds may have a fairly weak acidic reaction on soil. Much of the acid in
grounds is apparently washed out through the brewing process. I simple (and
a little arbitary) test would be to measure the ph of the grounds using a
standard take home kit and see what that yeilds. If it shows a result test
various batches of coffee grounds to see what the general norm is. If midly
acidic factor that in to any liming regime. Another factor to consider is
the soils natural ability to buffer acidic material.

For example, here in NZ we havea good supply of rain. Every few years it is
recommended to lime the lawn. PH checks across the garden will give me a
rough indication of the soil ph and how to bring it in to decent level
(close enough is good enough type measure mind you). I might need to lime a
year earlier due to using coffee grounds. I have not experienced anything
dramatic in my usage of coffee grounds. Trial and observation most likely.

rob

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 05:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 12:56 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 06:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 05:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 09:15 AM