Old 13-04-2007, 10:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Ant problem

Hi All,

I have a 'slight' ant problem here - never seen anything like it before!
They're getting into anything and everything inside the house, and
unfortunately that's not much of an exaggeration :/

Anyway, I'll stick to the garden side of the problem:
Basically they are killing off my plants one by one. So far they've
killed off a few beans, some Kohl Rabi and now one of my Dill plants
is terminal.
Ditto with a Rosemary in a pot. One of my Corianders is looking a little
iffy too.

At first I didn't twig to the problem being ants, but closer inspection
today showed ant trails through the mulch around the affected plants.

As to what kind of ants... not sure, but they're small (.5mm) and dark
brown to black in colour.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this problem before, so I'm
hoping you'll have some ideas or solutions...
I grow organically, but am open to any ideas as I'm going to have to do
something soon.

I've tried 'ant sand' and every type of 'ant rid' in the
past, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on the little buggers.

TIA for any ideas
Old 13-04-2007, 12:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

I reckon you could be in for some rain maybe?
Is it dry there?
We had ants come inside into our electric jug looking for water.
when it was very dry in midsummer.
They may be after the moisture in leaves.

Old 13-04-2007, 01:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

Hi,

Yep, well the ants may be due to rain coming or the fact that your
place is the only one with moisture around.

However, you say that .....

I grow organically,

But then say .....

I've tried 'ant sand'

Correct me if I'm wrong but "Ant Sand" contains Chlorpyrifos which is
the last thing you want around "veges" etc, whether growing organically
or not. If you are using/have used Chlorpyrifos, which is probably the
most toxic Organochlorine known, then I wouldn't be consuming anything
from your garden for years.........

Cheers,
David.
Old 13-04-2007, 09:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

Theyre probably argentinian ants . Where do you live?
Have a look here, to see if theyre the same::::

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...RT-6PM2EH?open

Old 14-04-2007, 12:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:36:06 +1000, Jonno wrote:

Hi Jonno,

I reckon you could be in for some rain maybe?

Yeah, possibly? They do come in waves (of sorts) although they are around
more often than not, regardless of weather. But impending rain does seem
to make them more active.

Is it dry there?

I would say we have had a fair bit of rain overall in recent weeks, but
the soil here is very quick draining. I'm right on the coastline, in Kiama
NSW (Illawarra region)

Either way, the ants tend to be ever present.

We had ants come inside into our electric jug looking for water. when it
was very dry in midsummer.
They may be after the moisture in leaves.

They do seem to seek out moisture, lately theyve even invaded the dunny
bowl here, and I can't even leave fresh cut herbs or other vegetable
matter on the kitchen bench for longer than about 15 minutes.
I'm even brushing them off of my computer desk as I type this...

I find it a little odd, since it isnt /that/ bloody dry here, as mentioned
we have had a fair bit of rain here this year. And yet, they do seem to be
seeking out moisture all the same - not to mention food of course.

Theyre probably argentinian ants . Where do you live?
Have a look here, to see if theyre the same::::
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...RT-6PM2EH?open

Hmm, theyre much darker than in that photo, but apart from that
seem to be the same size and shape...
(nice site though - I'll be moving to Tassie in a few months myself).

Thanks for the help Jonno, I might phone the ag dept next week and see
what they might suggest.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
Hi All,

I have a 'slight' ant problem here - never seen anything like it before!
They're getting into anything and everything inside the house, and
unfortunately that's not much of an exaggeration :/

Had the same problem here (WA) 2 or 3 times this year
First time in years that ants were severe inside the house
(House is on stumps,so generally we are pretty well bug free; except
when the cats push the doors open and the flies say "thanks")

They were just the normal small red / brown ones though - if you crush
one, they have a very distinctive smell. Understand that Argentine Ants
do not give off any smell when crushed (from book learning from years
ago; never actually encountered any)

As to what kind of ants... not sure, but they're small (.5mm) and dark
brown to black in colour.

er, 0.5mm or 5 mm?
If the former, I must admit my eyesight does not measure up these days

Anyway, I'll stick to the garden side of the problem:
Basically they are killing off my plants one by one. So far they've
killed off a few beans, some Kohl Rabi and now one of my Dill plants
is terminal.
Ditto with a Rosemary in a pot. One of my Corianders is looking a little
iffy too.

snip garden description

Over the years we have used all sorts of ant powders etc with little
real success. Basically it seems that the easiest thing is to kill off
the odd one and just "wait 'em out". They seem to come and go in cycles.

The one thing we have found to be quite good in eliminating / moving
them on is talcum powder (Johnson's Baby if u are feeling rich;
otherwise any old - read cheapest - homebrand). Basically sprinkle this
in a circle around the ant hole. Seems that the ants track this back
into the nest and (from dim memory) suffocate as the powder coats their
bodies. Can also put some along their trails. We have found this works
as well as anything and (should be) less harmful to the environment.

For vegie plants, perhaps sprinkle a circle around each plant or set of
plants - this of course presupposes that you are not using sprinklers

good luck
giovani
Old 14-04-2007, 01:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

Try putting a few on your scanner if you have one.Then get on their
website and sen em ther pic.
Old 14-04-2007, 01:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Jeßus wrote:
[...]

I suspect they are carpenter ants. They are small, also prone to invading
houses and I think there are varieties that eat plants.

I am in WA and after a recent home invasion went on the attack. I sprinkled
talcum powder along the back of the house that they were gaining access
through. I found a nest which I poured some kerosene down. I also found some
trails coming from neighbours which I made a syrup up for. The syrup was 1
cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of water , 1 tablespoon of borax, 1 tablespoon of
boracic acid. The mix was boiled for 3 minutes and bottled when cool. I just
put a teaspoon of this across the trails and they ate it with relish but are
gone 2 days later. You can use this on window sills and bench tops inside,
sticky but effective.

Around the same time I also had a termite scare in the wall of a
hardflex/polystyrene/gyprock patio enclosure. The termites came in and ate
all the brown paper off the unexposed side of the gyprock. I suspect the
ants were coming in to eat the termites and having a look around for other
food sources. My only clue to termites was a small trail of mud where the
gyprock butted up against an aluminium window. I was lucky as only aluminium
channeling was used and no wood. I have installed a moisture barrier now
which keeps the soil drier than before making it less attractive to
termites. I also had a spot treatment and installed some termite monitors
which I check monthly. So have a look for signs of termites as well.

Cheers

Richard

Old 17-04-2007, 07:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

You too! I've got them everywhere! Ant rid stops them for a while but it
won't hold them back forever....
I spent a small fortune on something that was guaranteed to kill off the
queen (ant that is)
Seems the ant colony must have taken a vote and agreed to carry on without
her cos there still here, business as usual!

Linda at war

news

Old 17-04-2007, 07:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

The only thing that works here is Malathion sold as Crawly Cruncher in
supermarkets....BUT I wouldn't recommend it near anything you plan to
eat. Could you spray the ants 'near' your vegie gardens in the hope
this will kill some of them? Maybe lay attractant baits, eg honey in
soup cans etc just near the vegie garden?

I don't get ants in my house (famous last words) as I selectively spray
with the above...it's good for RedBackSpiders too, but last week I
turned on the iron to do some ironing. When checking where the dial
was to make sure it wasn't too hot, I noticed the clear plastic tank was
black!! yuck!!! Slid back the cover on the water tank and emptied
the water into the sink only to discover this black glob was millions of
tiny ants!! I've NEVER seen them in an iron before. Anyway it took
about an hour and several litres of water to get them all washed out,
after I had given a very light spray of fly spray because the little
buggers went everywhere, once disturbed.

There was not a trace of them anywhere else in the house, nor across the
walls/floor/etc so I don't even know how they got to the iron.
Hopefully they drowned in the heavy rain last night and won't return.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 17-04-2007, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

odonata28 (Linda) wrote:
You too! I've got them everywhere! Ant rid stops them for a while
but it won't hold them back forever.... I spent a small fortune on
something that was guaranteed to kill off the queen (ant that is)
Seems the ant colony must have taken a vote and agreed to carry on
without her cos there still here, business as usual!

Heres some recipes for Ant war III.
Pot plants can be dunked and left a few hours.
That will make em take notice, and add a small amount of deter gent
(and ladies too.)
Solution 9 seems to be the most popular and mentioned everywhere. If
you still have problems after trying all of these, stop being mean and
biological and call a pro. I mean war is war!!! Scorched earth
policy!! They will think twice about tryin you again...

There are multiple organic methods of getting rid of ants that are
eating your plants.

1. Dust area around plants with baking soda (poisonous to ants).?

2. Sprinkle grits, cream of wheat,or instant rice in circle around
plants, the ant will eat one grain, drink water and the grain expands
and kills the ant.?

3. Sprinkle flour or baby powder around plant. Ants will never cross
flour or baby powder. ?

4. Fill spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water and spray on
plants. The acetic acid in vinegar kills ants. ?

5. Coffee grounds, black pepper, chili powder, cream of tartar,
cinnamon, andpeppermint all deter ants. Coffee grounds can be poured
directly on anthill, they eat the grounds and seem to implode
exploding ants I like!!!

6. Fold contact paper in half sticky side out and make a circle around
base of plant. They'll get stuck on the paper. If this fails use
superglue to glue the ants together and make a gi ant conga line. (I
saw the movie!)

7. Mix one-third cup molasses, six tablespoons sugar, and six
tablespoons active dry yeast into a smooth paste. Coat strips of
cardboard with th mixture. Keep out of reach of pets and small
children. You can leave mixture on a saucer outside anthill and
they'll eat it and die. If you leave it standing in the rain you
will have made ANT beer....

8. Cut off bottom of paper cup and cut slit up the side of the cup and
coat outside with vaseline and place around base of plant. Packing
tape works too.

9. One cup borax, two-thirds cup sugar and one cup water. Dip cotton
balls in the solution and place in areas near your anthill Ants will
leave the plants alone and ingest the sweet mixture and the borax will
kill the ants. This one looks fine!

10. Diatomaceous Earth will destroy the insects outer skeletons,
causing the pests to die from dehydration. Maybe!

11. The final solution Flame throwers and move out your self.
Old 18-04-2007, 06:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

Just came across some old written notes I had taken down at one of those No
Chemical workshops.

Orange oil for ants. I myself have not heard of Orange Oil before, but hope
it helps someone.

Also borax and jam.

We tried AntRid but was of no use.

Katherine

Black Ant problem Home Newbie Lawns 6 29-04-2004 04:09 AM
Ant Problem Near Garden Pond DCMyers1 United Kingdom 3 08-07-2003 06:12 PM
Ant Problem Near Garden Pond DCMyers1 United Kingdom 0 07-07-2003 10:22 PM
Ant Problem Near Garden Pond DCMyers1 United Kingdom 0 07-07-2003 09:12 PM
Ant Problem Near Garden Pond DCMyers1 United Kingdom 0 07-07-2003 08:53 PM