Old 26-04-2007, 08:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Euphorbia Thai Hyrbid

Hello all,
I live in Brisbane, the intended planting area is 8' x 16", bricked in
garden on the front veranda. Facing south, no sun in winter months, One
hour morning & three hours late afternoon sun in summer. Plenty of
natural light.
I wish to plant 4 or 5 Euphorbia Thai Hybrid plants ( Crowns of Thorns )
as my 'friendly' nursery man tells me they will flower without sun. I
have my doubts !
I would appreciate any advise. To be or not to be or whatever !
Many thanks Mike
Old 26-04-2007, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Mike Gellert" wrote in message
Hello all,
I live in Brisbane, the intended planting area is 8' x 16", bricked in
garden on the front veranda. Facing south, no sun in winter months, One
hour morning & three hours late afternoon sun in summer. Plenty of natural
light.
I wish to plant 4 or 5 Euphorbia Thai Hybrid plants ( Crowns of Thorns )
as my 'friendly' nursery man tells me they will flower without sun. I have
my doubts !
I would appreciate any advise. To be or not to be or whatever !

I love Euphorbias and have quite a few but don't know "Crown of Thorns". I
did a google and found out that it does have thorns!!!!

Must get it. Based on my experieinces with Euphorbias, I think it should
flower in your hotter climate, but even if they don't, I find that the
foliage is the reason why I grow them and I wouldn't really care if they
didn't flower. Try them and let us know if they do or don't flower, and if
they don't, pass them on to someone else who has a sunnier spot or move them
if you have the space.

Old 26-04-2007, 01:44 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Mike Gellert" wrote in message
Hello all,
I live in Brisbane, the intended planting area is 8' x 16", bricked in
garden on the front veranda. Facing south, no sun in winter months, One
hour morning & three hours late afternoon sun in summer. Plenty of natural
light.
I wish to plant 4 or 5 Euphorbia Thai Hybrid plants ( Crowns of Thorns )
as my 'friendly' nursery man tells me they will flower without sun. I have
my doubts !
I would appreciate any advise. To be or not to be or whatever !
Many thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

With the low light in that area I would be more tempted to have something
like Philadenron "xanadu" always looks great even though it has no flowers.

My other favourite would be Clivia miniata. Loves the low levels of light .
Has nice green strappy leaves and beautiful flowers usually orange although
there is a yellow variety.

I have seen in the past with the crown of thorns that in low light
situations they become long and rangy as they search for the light. They
look far better when they are compact and thick stemmed. they also flower
better with more light.

Cheers

Richard

Old 27-04-2007, 05:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for the info. all taken on board.

kind regards

Mike

Thai Dragon Chilies oldhickory Texas 4 20-04-2007 05:31 AM
Thai Princess Canna Starlord Garden Photos 4 15-11-2006 02:31 AM
Thai Eggplant Edible Gardening 2 21-11-2003 03:06 PM
Hyrbid UV + Veggie Filter Question Critical Popperian Ponds 1 02-09-2003 04:32 PM
Ronnyara Thai Bonbon Susan Erickson Orchids 2 14-02-2003 08:51 PM