Old 27-04-2007, 12:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Perth and WA website seeks gardening clubs, groups and contributors

Hi all

I'm involved in a new West Australian website called Loconut

http://www.loconut.com.au

Our focus is on local news, stories, people, clubs, groups and interests.
We're seeking contributors for our gardening area so if you're -

a) involved in a gardening club / organisation (and would like to setup a
profile on Loconut), or
b) are knowledgable about gardening and would like to contribute in some way

we'd love to hear from you!

Clint

Old 29-04-2007, 04:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

"CB" wrote in message
Hi all

I'm involved in a new West Australian website called Loconut

http://www.loconut.com.au

Our focus is on local news, stories, people, clubs, groups and interests.
We're seeking contributors for our gardening area so if you're -

a) involved in a gardening club / organisation (and would like to setup a
profile on Loconut), or
b) are knowledgable about gardening and would like to contribute in some
way

we'd love to hear from you!

Clint

You will find that gardening clubs in Western Australia are becoming
extinct. The people who manage them are under threats and spot fines if it
is deemed they are doing something wrong to the tune of $1000. Also clubs
used to rollover their funds into other clubs if it folded. Now that money
will go to the nearest council.

So with the building of houses on smaller blocks, water restrictions and the
older members dwindling because of age and death gardening clubs will become
less and less.

Now it will be important to have a president who knows what he is doing with
the backup of solicitors and accountants.

Also look at the number of plant nurseries that have gone out of business in
the last 10 years. How many that survive are selling good quality plants
with an extensive range, the answer is not many. This is because they are
limited to a few wholesale nurseries to supply the same things. Bunnings is
also supplied by the same people. It is a sad state we are in.

Richard

Old 30-04-2007, 02:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:

Also look at the number of plant nurseries that have gone out of business in
the last 10 years. How many that survive are selling good quality plants
with an extensive range, the answer is not many. This is because they are
limited to a few wholesale nurseries to supply the same things. Bunnings is
also supplied by the same people. It is a sad state we are in.

Well, an alternative explanation is that most people are clueless morons
and follow like sheep. So they watch these **** and wind home and garden
programs on TV and then do exactly what they did. So the demand in
Nurserys is for the same few plants. Consequently the nursery finds it
just uneconomical to sell other plants.

We have a local nursery guy, Tim Pickles, and he has been very
successful on a corner site in selling all sorts of stuff because he has
a good sense of humour and presents different ideas as demo plots on his
fenceline. People waiting at the lights get to see something different
and try it.

The time he went into a mega nursery place, he sold up in a few years.
It didn't work as well.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

That's disappointing to hear guys - thanks for the feedback though.

We have found gardening clubs / groups harder to come across (The Bonsai
Society Of WA is the only one we have on at the moment).

If you could be more specific, what exactly are the legal issues you
mentioned with regard to gardening clubs?