Old 30-04-2007, 07:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default What is this nut tree?

This small tree grows along roadsides close to the bank of the Colo
river west of Sydney.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/mm49y5789h.jpg

It has fruits containing nuts.

The internal structure of the fruit looks something like a mangosteen,
but the thin pulp has an astringent flavour.

Inside the the thin shell is a pure white nut. It tastes pleasantly
mealy, but not delicious. I spat it out in case it is poisonous.

What species is it?
Old 30-04-2007, 02:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Variegated Hop Question.

I have an old male Hop (Humulus Lupulus) from which late in the
season has budded out a variegated shoot (direct from rhizome).

The first two pictures are of a rooted cutting of the shoot.

The third picture is another cutting taken later from that cutting which
I took because of the strange mosaic variegation and odd leaf shape
on this bine (note that only five variegated leaves are showing in this
image as other leaves are from older 'normal' hops growing in the same
area.)

Both of these plants are now about 1M height (they will soon die back
for winter) and will produce small rhizomes. When I grow them both
up to maturity next year and use the pollen to fertilise some of my Hop
cultivars, Goldings, Tettnanger, etc. Will they transfer this trait to
some of the seeds?

1 http://tinyurl.com/2ek3lg

2 http://tinyurl.com/2u86jb

3 http://tinyurl.com/2jwx3k

Was hoping to produce a variegated ornamental female hop

Rupert.

What is this nut tree? Richard Wright Plant Science 6 02-05-2007 09:37 PM
What is this nut tree? Richard Wright Edible Gardening 0 30-04-2007 07:30 AM
Buart Nut Tree Maryc Garden Photos 0 06-04-2007 01:55 AM
Fruit and Nut tree in N. Illinois? Ignoramus12245 Gardening 7 19-04-2004 10:02 PM
Acorn in water - one nut is all it takes (to grow a tree) P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 3 13-11-2003 04:22 PM