Old 30-04-2007, 02:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Variegated Hop Question.

(Oops sorry for posting this in the "What is this nut tree?" thread)

I have an old male Hop (Humulus Lupulus) from which late in the
season has budded out a variegated shoot (direct from rhizome).

The first two pictures are of a rooted cutting of the shoot.

The third picture is another cutting taken later from that cutting which
I took because of the strange mosaic variegation and odd leaf shape
on this bine (note that only five variegated leaves are showing in this
image as other leaves are from older 'normal' hops growing in the same
area.)

Both of these plants are now about 1M height (they will soon die back
for winter) and will produce small rhizomes. When I grow them both
up to maturity next year and use the pollen to fertilise some of my Hop
cultivars, Goldings, Tettnanger, etc. Will they transfer this trait to
some of the seeds?

1 http://tinyurl.com/2ek3lg

2 http://tinyurl.com/2u86jb

3 http://tinyurl.com/2jwx3k

Was hoping to produce a variegated ornamental female hop

Rupert.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Rupert Bear" wrote in message
[...]

how flattering that you have mistaken us for plant geneticists ;-)

are all hop cultivars given the same name (humulus lupulus)? if so, i should
think you'd have some chance of success, although heaven knows how many
seeds you would need to germinate successfully in order to gain the success,
but if you're into hops that will be fun anyway. if the cultivars are
significantly different as to be of different... um, you know, the
genus/species/etc you might be trying for nothing.

hope i'm not too off the mark here (someone will correct me if i am, don't
you worry ;-) - what i know about this is based on dwarf beans g
kylie

Old 01-05-2007, 01:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

In message
, Rupert
Bear writes
[...]

Variegated plants are often chimaeras. If this is the case the
variegation won't pass through the pollen. (Depending on which genotype
contributes to the pollen you may pass the trait for the variant leaf
colour onto seedlings; this may well be recessive, but could be made
homozygous by backcrossing to the variegated plant. (Any homozygous
plant may be weak due to low/absent chlorophyll.)

But the above is not always the case. You can but try.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Kylie for your reply,

Have been breeding brewing hops for 3 years just for fun, I usually grow
around 10 plants to maturity to check out what I have, which I would
only have to do for any tiny variegated seedling that popped up. It will be
very easy to sprinkle a few thousand seeds in a small area and dig in and
re-seed many times over summer until I came across a variegated one to
grow on to maturity to find out if it was a female.

As far as I know there is only one hop cultivar that's not Humulus Lupulus
and that is the Humulus japonicus variegatus which is a banned import as it's
an invasive species. It has a beautiful variegation: http://tinyurl.com/2ga2a4

There is the ornamental Humulus lupulus 'Aureus' which has been long
available in Australia but it just has a golden-yellow leaf ...as far as I
know there isn't a variegated Humulus Lupulus.

how flattering that you have mistaken us for plant geneticists ;-)

...I have just found sci.bio.botany and posted my question there as well, I
wasn't sure to which newsgroup to post to.

Rupert.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

news
In message ,
Rupert Bear writes
[...]

Thanks for that information Stewart, its good to know it's not a total
impossibility. It will be fun to try this next season.

Rupert.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Rupert Bear" wrote in message

big snip

...I have just found sci.bio.botany and posted my question there as
well, I
wasn't sure to which newsgroup to post to.

Rupert.

At the risk of taking you away from Usenet, you could also try posting to
the ABC's Scribbly Gum site.

It's a moderated site, so your posts may take a little while to appear.
However, if you register (and that process may take a day or two) you can
post, and have it appear immediately.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/

Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Harold" Harold [at] clotmail wrote in message
u...

"Rupert Bear" wrote in message

big snip

...I have just found sci.bio.botany and posted my question there as
well, I
wasn't sure to which newsgroup to post to.

Rupert.

At the risk of taking you away from Usenet, you could also try posting to
the ABC's Scribbly Gum site.

It's a moderated site, so your posts may take a little while to appear.
However, if you register (and that process may take a day or two) you can
post, and have it appear immediately.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/

Thanks for the link Harold, yes that would have been a good place to post,
but now have a reply on sci.bio.botany, which with Stewart's reply here
gives me the answer I was looking for and that it's worth a try for an outside
chance.
It's easy to do and a lot of fun, am a very optimistic person ...always
checking my garden for a mutant blue Bottlebrush

Rupert.