Old 08-06-2007, 12:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default messed-up argyle apple

hello,

i rather love argyle apple gums so i have a little one in my yard. i realise
these have a tendency towards a really messy habit while small, but
wondering if i can "fix" it a bit as it's quite a mess.

it's about 1m high & wide now, but only really has 3 branches. some
caterpillar's come along & eaten off most of the leaves, too. it's also
developed a tilt to one side (i didn't stake it). it looks pretty ordinary
all around as you can imagine.

can i make it more bushy with pruning? and if so, when would i do this? (i
am thinking in spring, perhaps?) should i stake it, or will it sort out
itself in time & come to look bushier & nicer next spring if i just leave it
alone?

thank you!
kylie

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day again Kylie

Sorry, planned to reply to this after the previous message and just
remembered that I didn't do that!! ;-)

From what I remember of Argyle's they can be pruned, but to make sure I
had a look on Burke's Backyard as they are one of his Top Ten Gum Trees
and here's what he had to say.....

* Argyle Apple, Eucalyptus cinerea, is known by its round grey-blue leaves that often pop up in floral arrangements. These are grown in commercial plantations and cut back regularly to encourage new growth for picking. In the garden keep it pruned or allow it to grow into a medium-sized tree.

Checklist: up to 12m (36') tall and fast growing. Grows from the subtropics to southern Australia in full sun in well-drained soils.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 11-06-2007, 11:56 PM posted to aus.gardens

"HC" wrote in message
G'day again Kylie

Sorry, planned to reply to this after the previous message and just
remembered that I didn't do that!! ;-)

From what I remember of Argyle's they can be pruned, but to make sure I
had a look on Burke's Backyard as they are one of his Top Ten Gum Trees
and here's what he had to say.....

* Argyle Apple, Eucalyptus cinerea, is known by its round grey-blue
leaves that often pop up in floral arrangements. These are grown in
commercial plantations and cut back regularly to encourage new growth for
picking. In the garden keep it pruned or allow it to grow into a
medium-sized tree.

Checklist: up to 12m (36') tall and fast growing. Grows from the
subtropics to southern Australia in full sun in well-drained soils.

Hope this helps?

i think that just about answers it!! of course they could be pruned - i was
alive during 1980s flower arrangements ;-)
thanks again bronwyn.
kylie