Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default My pruning of roses

Hi

I have roses, & I notice quite often where I have pruned off the spent buds
the stem often dies, why does this happen?
I do clean my secateurs after each rose, & other plants.
thanks
Sandra

Old 10-06-2007, 01:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
Hi

I have roses, & I notice quite often where I have pruned off the spent
buds the stem often dies, why does this happen?
I do clean my secateurs after each rose, & other plants.
thanks
Sandra

To much gap between where you pruned and the next bud. My way of dead
heading is going down the stem to an outward facing leaf. At the base where
the leaf meets the stem is a bud. I prune just above that point and that
avoids the die back you have experienced.

This time of the year if you prune will see the roses bleed and not heal as
well as you'd like because it is colder. I always try to prune in the last
week of July or in the first week of August. This avoids a lot of leaf
problems (black spot mainly) later in the season.

Richard