Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default fruit on orange trees

When should you have flowers & fruit starting to appear on orange trees?
Cheers
Sandra

Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
When should you have flowers & fruit starting to appear on orange trees?

err, do you mean age of tree?
or time of year?

I think mine flower in may and last years flowers are ready in August,
but I recently heavily pruned all my orange trees and they immediately
went into blossom.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

I mean time of year I am sure this time of the year we had fruit forming,
but I can not see anything on it now.
Any idea why ?
Thanks
Sandra

Old 13-06-2007, 01:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
I mean time of year I am sure this time of the year we had fruit forming,
but I can not see anything on it now.

Very possible. Citrus like freely availalbe water. If you let them get
too dry, they don't like it. I(f they have too much water they don't
like it.)

My guess is that you've done what we did and stopped watering the orange
tree with the water restrictions and it has got upset.

Alternatively, the mini-seasons have it confused. My wife has found that
a lot of her plants are reacting as if it is early spring and shooting.
So your orange may think it has missed this flowering time.

Go to to the regular watering routine. Many people have wasted water on
keeping lush footpath lawns going through all the water restrictions, so
do not feel guilty about this. It probably involves less water than a
toilet flsh anyway.

Make sure you give it a good fert and feed in the root/drip zone and see
what it does.