Old 25-06-2007, 12:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Coriander in Sydney

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA
Old 25-06-2007, 10:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it bolts
to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

I don't know Sydney's climate well enough but I would have thought it was a
bit early for planting Coriander. And the only real way I've found to avoid
the bolting problem is to succession sow. It seems to be a natural bolter
IMHO.

Old 25-06-2007, 11:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it bolts
to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

I don't know Sydney's climate well enough but I would have thought it was
a bit early for planting Coriander. And the only real way I've found to
avoid the bolting problem is to succession sow. It seems to be a natural
bolter IMHO.

Seconded :-)

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Old 25-06-2007, 02:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Jun 25, 9:39 am, Terryc wrote:
dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Interesting that in an international NG we pin down location to a
single city assuming that is sufficient information. However there is
quite a difference in climate between the west and the coast.

I would give it a go you may well get some growth especially if you
are near the ocean and don't get very cold nights. If you care to go
to the trouble of starting the seeds indoors you would very likely
have success. Coriander is not frost sensitive but could be slow to
germinate if the soil is cold. At Manly I used to plant from April
til August and forget about it in the hot months.

David

Old 27-06-2007, 08:42 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:39:06 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Try planting Mexican Coriander (Etyngium foetidum) as a backup. It
doesn't bolt.

I can't tell the difference in flavour between it and true coriander.
Both belong to the same plant family, but look totally dissimilar.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/fr...coriander.html

Google on "Mexican coriander" for Australia only and you will find a
number of suppliers.

Old 27-06-2007, 08:43 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

dvised that it is okay to plant it now to get some growth before it
bolts to see in warmer weather.

Yes or No?

TIA

Try planting Mexican Coriander (Etyngium foetidum) as a backup. It
doesn't bolt.

I can't tell the difference in flavour between it and true coriander.
Both belong to the same plant family, but look totally dissimilar.

http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/fr...coriander.html

Google on "Mexican coriander" for Australia only and you will find a
number of suppliers.

Sorry for the typo. It's Latin name is Eryngium foetidum.

Growing coriander... Tracy United Kingdom 18 05-06-2004 11:36 PM
Growing coriander Abso United Kingdom 15 22-10-2003 10:48 PM
Coriander AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:57 PM
Tall and skinny coriander Nobby United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:56 PM
Prune coriander for more leaves? Frogleg Gardening 2 05-05-2003 09:08 AM