Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default hops for brewing

hello,
does anyone have any ideas where dh could get hop rhizomes, to grow hops for
brewing?

he has been on a promise from several people & that hasn't worked out, & has
had no luck online but for u.s. sites etc (which is obviously out of the
question). i had a look too as i am a bit of a better searcher, but i
couldn't find anything either. he goes to a brew shop where they know him so
something might work out eventually but i think this is more of a
gardening/growing thing, not a brewing thing.

it is a little frustrating. everyone seems to have had them in the past,
even my dad grew some!
any ideas welcome!! thanks.
kylie

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
hello,
does anyone have any ideas where dh could get hop rhizomes, to grow
hops for brewing?

he has been on a promise from several people & that hasn't worked
out, & has had no luck online but for u.s. sites etc (which is
obviously out of the question). i had a look too as i am a bit of a
better searcher, but i couldn't find anything either. he goes to a
brew shop where they know him so something might work out eventually
but i think this is more of a gardening/growing thing, not a brewing
thing.
it is a little frustrating. everyone seems to have had them in the
past, even my dad grew some!
any ideas welcome!! thanks.
kylie

Take a look at Grumpy's Brewhaus
(https://www.grumpys.com.au/phpshop/index.php3), orders have closed for
2007.

Ain't Google wonderful, just put in hop rhizomes as the search term, select
search pages from Australia, search and wham bang 540 hits in 0.09 seconds.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Kylie,

I will have plenty of hop rhizomes for sale on eBay soon, most of them are
still dying back and will not be ready for a month or so.
I have Goldings, Tettnanger, Wurtemberger, Golden Cluster, Columbus,
Pererced d bougogne, Tardiff d bourgogne, Chinook , Hallertau, Hersbruker,
Pearle and just a few of the hard to get Cascade.

Some of the above will be Jumbo size.

My eBay name is Cannabaceae, I will put a link here to auction when main lot
are for sale.

I will check out tomorrow to see if any cultivars are ready now.

Contact me at: rupertjw-AT-iinet-DOT-net-DOT-au ...which is hopefully a
spam bot proof way of writing it

Rupert.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message

0tterbot wrote:
[...]

yes, precisely ;-)

Ain't Google wonderful, just put in hop rhizomes as the search term,
select search pages from Australia, search and wham bang 540 hits in 0.09
seconds.

.... most of which just aren't any use at all. :-( may god smite me, but
google can be a little overrated ;-)

i'll make sure dh is aware grumpy's exists, just so he knows. thanks for the
help!
kylie

Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Rupert Bear" wrote in message

Kylie,

I will have plenty of hop rhizomes for sale on eBay soon, most of them are
still dying back and will not be ready for a month or so.
I have Goldings, Tettnanger, Wurtemberger, Golden Cluster, Columbus,
Pererced d bougogne, Tardiff d bourgogne, Chinook , Hallertau, Hersbruker,
Pearle and just a few of the hard to get Cascade.

Some of the above will be Jumbo size.

ooh crikey.

My eBay name is Cannabaceae,

really? :-)

I will put a link here to auction when main lot
are for sale.

thank you!!!

I will check out tomorrow to see if any cultivars are ready now.

Contact me at: rupertjw-AT-iinet-DOT-net-DOT-au ...which is hopefully a
spam bot proof way of writing it

Rupert.

thank you!

sorry, as this really isn't my thing at all, but when you auction, do you
describe which cultivars are better for various locations (and brews)? he's
a good brewer but very much a novice gardener - how would one know which
variety is better to try? (i'm really trying to NOT get involved in the
whole hop malarkey just atm.)
ta again
kylie

Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

If you are growing hops for the first time, it is a good idea to start with
several varieties to find out which will do the best in your own back yard.

Hops need a long day to grow successfully (best achieved south of the 35th
parallel for viable comercial yields), temps are less critical. However, Hops
have been grown successfully in the south of W.A., in the Adelaide Hills,
Victoria and NSW. There are brewers with successful yet small yielding
crops in Qld. It does not seem to matter about the quality of light so much
as the length of daylight available. Hops are native to many parts of the
world and different varieties have been found growing anywhere from desert
locations to 7000 ft. elevations.

I have an experiment underway which seem to indicate that a small energy
saving lamp in the blue spectrum (highest Kelvin temperature) left on over
night shining on the base leaves may be enough to extend the daylight in
higher lattitudes to produce flowers (cones) or greater yields. Will try to
set up better experiment (with controls) with grower in Queensland next
season.

As for which brews, I usually describe the cultivar in as much detail as
possible, with added terms like:

"Predominantly a bittering hop (high alpha hop) but with interesting aromatic
qualities"
"Very fine or noble aroma hop"
"Dual-purpose hop with a good combination of balanced bittering and highly
acceptable aroma properties"

Will let you know tommorow what is available, it's to wet at the moment to be
digging up rhizomes

Rupert.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
[...]

Have a Columbus, Golden Cluster, Hersbruker, Tardiff d bourgogne, Pearle,
Tettnanger and Goldings available, if you are interested in purchasing now
contact me for further details: rupertjw AT iinet DOT net DOT au

Or if you prefer to bid at eBay auctions later, I will definitely post a link
here when the main lot are ready.

Some hop cultivar descriptions he http://tinyurl.com/38n9wt

and hop gardening links: http://www.freshops.com/gardening.html

http://www.crannogales.com/manual%20final.pdf

Rupert.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

[...]

thank you very much rupert.

dh is currently away for a couple of days - i'll pass on your details & the
other info so he can get in touch asap.

i'm starting to wonder if our days here are long enough - but then again,
perhaps that is not my problem. :-)

thank you again & we'll get in touch,
kylie