Old 19-07-2007, 09:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default The cat problem

"Terryc" wrote in message
Jonno wrote:
Problem is cats also kill rabbits.
So are both a pest and helpful.

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

The feral cat we have round here is doing a great job of clearing up the
rabbits. Since the feral has moved into the hay shed, I haven't seen any
rabbits grazing round the sheds. It seems to also go down the warrens on a
regualr basis to clear them out. This feral has already cleaned out a
warren on our creek flats before moving up nearer to the house and farm
sheds so I reckon it's doing much better than 1% of rabbits for prey in its
diet.

Old 19-07-2007, 01:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

"
The feral cat we have round here is doing a great job of clearing up the
rabbits. Since the feral has moved into the hay shed, I haven't seen any
rabbits grazing round the sheds. It seems to also go down the warrens on a
regualr basis to clear them out. This feral has already cleaned out a
warren on our creek flats before moving up nearer to the house and farm
sheds so I reckon it's doing much better than 1% of rabbits for prey in its
diet.

then how many native critters are making it feel nourished as well??

Old 19-07-2007, 01:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

not really lol IMO - the rest (the remaining 99%) are marsupials, birds,
small otherwise healthy species not helped by this predation..

Old 20-07-2007, 01:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Jock" wrote in message

"Terryc" wrote in message

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

not really lol IMO - the rest (the remaining 99%) are marsupials, birds,
small otherwise healthy species not helped by this predation..

The now deceased feral cat did not get the rabbits that often visit here
(dunghills in yard) and the dogs did not mind the rabbits either, though
they have been going off at the roos visiting the last few nights. I hate to
say it but I prefer rabbits to feral cats. At least we used to make a few
quid catching the blighters, and rabbit stew aint too bad either. The
drought is not over out here yet.

Old 20-07-2007, 09:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jock wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

not really lol IMO - the rest (the remaining 99%) are marsupials, birds,
small otherwise healthy species not helped by this predation..

Exactly what I'm saying.
The fact that cats might eat rabbits shouldn't stop the development of a
virus to wipe them out, in Australia.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jock" wrote in message
"
The feral cat we have round here is doing a great job of clearing up the
rabbits. Since the feral has moved into the hay shed, I haven't seen any
rabbits grazing round the sheds. It seems to also go down the warrens on
regualr basis to clear them out. This feral has already cleaned out a
warren on our creek flats before moving up nearer to the house and farm
sheds so I reckon it's doing much better than 1% of rabbits for prey in
its
diet.

then how many native critters are making it feel nourished as well??

And how could I possibly know that? It's a feral, and like all ferals it
takes off like a rocket at the first sight of a human heaving into view.
That is why it's still alive and not dead and buried. I love birds but the
Currawongs do more damage to the bird population that it seems this cat has
done.

Old 20-07-2007, 10:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message
"Jock" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

not really lol IMO - the rest (the remaining 99%) are marsupials, birds,
small otherwise healthy species not helped by this predation..

The now deceased feral cat did not get the rabbits that often visit here
(dunghills in yard) and the dogs did not mind the rabbits either, though
they have been going off at the roos visiting the last few nights. I hate
to say it but I prefer rabbits to feral cats. At least we used to make a
few quid catching the blighters, and rabbit stew aint too bad either. The
drought is not over out here yet.

Try some Jack Russells. They aren't as effective as the feral cat but they
did get quite a few rabbits.

Old 21-07-2007, 02:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"SG1" wrote in message
"Jock" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message

lol, not a problem at all.
Cats don't actually kill that many rabbits, if at all.
1% of prey at best

not really lol IMO - the rest (the remaining 99%) are marsupials, birds,
small otherwise healthy species not helped by this predation..

The now deceased feral cat did not get the rabbits that often visit here
(dunghills in yard) and the dogs did not mind the rabbits either, though
they have been going off at the roos visiting the last few nights. I hate
to say it but I prefer rabbits to feral cats. At least we used to make a
few quid catching the blighters, and rabbit stew aint too bad either. The
drought is not over out here yet.

Try some Jack Russells. They aren't as effective as the feral cat but
they did get quite a few rabbits.

Sorry but SWMBO likes her dogs on the larger side. After having a heeler,
would not have another breed. Absolutely devoted & protective and the dog
adores the new grandson 10 weeks old and thriving. Apart from being ball
crazy and at times scatterbrained the 7yo (spayed) bitch is a pearl.

Old 21-07-2007, 05:20 AM posted to aus.gardens

"SG1" wrote in message
"SG1" wrote in message
"Jock" wrote in message
"Terryc" wrote in message

[...]

Wonderful dogs are heelers and no wonder they are perhaps the most popular
dog with tradesmen as a ute dog. as you say, loyal, protective and a great
companion. Jack Russells all think that they are the size and toughness of
a Rottweiler. A big dog in a little body and far easier to have sit on
one's knee than a heeler (as I know from experience).

My daughter has a heeler and he loves to play with one of our JRs. He
doesn't like our other JR and I don't blame him for that as I'm not too keen
on him either (he should have been desexed and wasn't).

Old 21-07-2007, 11:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

And how could I possibly know that? It's a feral, and like all ferals it
takes off like a rocket at the first sight of a human heaving into view.
That is why it's still alive and not dead and buried. I love birds but the
Currawongs do more damage to the bird population that it seems this cat has
done.

You will not know how much damage the cat has done until it disappears
and the years roll bye. OTOH, currawongs do have a natural impact.

Old 23-07-2007, 07:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

And how could I possibly know that? It's a feral, and like all ferals it
takes off like a rocket at the first sight of a human heaving into view.
That is why it's still alive and not dead and buried. I love birds but
the Currawongs do more damage to the bird population that it seems this
cat has done.

You will not know how much damage the cat has done until it disappears and
the years roll bye. OTOH, currawongs do have a natural impact.

Yep. They certainly do but that "natural impact" is huge.

We went away for a few days and when we got back we noticed that huge
numbers of little birds had disapearred. My SO commented that a cat must
have been in the garden. Over the next few days I noticed that the
Currawongswere very active and gamer than when we are always around (we make
them disappear be going outside with a gun in our hands) and that it was
probably them that had done the damage. SO agreed as there is always a
sighting of a feral and the only thing to be seen was the Currawongs. I
hate the blasted things as they are such enormous predators of small birds.
We have a huge amount of understorey just to try to protect the small birds
but Currawongs can be spotted up in the trees just watching where the little
birds go. Filthy brutes. Give me a feral cat any day.

Old 24-07-2007, 03:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
Give me a feral cat any day.

No prob. What's your address? I'll mail you a couple. COD
Old 25-07-2007, 12:57 AM posted to aus.gardens

Before making rash promises like this, it reminds me of a recipe. First
catch your feral cat.

Old 25-07-2007, 12:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Before making rash promises of mailing a couple, reminds me of a chinese
recipe, first catch your feral cat/s.