GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID garden plant please. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/161731-id-garden-plant-please.html)

Richard Wright 15-07-2007 08:18 AM

ID garden plant please.

I would like an ID on two plants currently flowering in a garden in
Merimbula (far south coast of NSW).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ba7gdzia8l.jpg

The individual tubes of the flowers are 2 - 3 cm long.

They look to be closely related species - or maybe cultivars.

neil 15-07-2007 12:16 PM

ID garden plant please.

"Richard Wright" wrote in message
I would like an ID on two plants currently flowering in a garden in
Merimbula (far south coast of NSW).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ba7gdzia8l.jpg

The individual tubes of the flowers are 2 - 3 cm long.

They look to be closely related species - or maybe cultivars.

I'm almost certain they are both ericas. The first one has a common name of
"red hairy heath".

Neil.

David[_8_] 16-07-2007 11:00 AM

ID garden plant please.

neil wrote:
"Richard Wright" wrote in message

I would like an ID on two plants currently flowering in a garden in
Merimbula (far south coast of NSW).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ba7gdzia8l.jpg

The individual tubes of the flowers are 2 - 3 cm long.

They look to be closely related species - or maybe cultivars.

I'm almost certain they are both ericas. The first one has a common name of
"red hairy heath".

Neil.

Definitely ericas.
Many varieties, prefer slighly acid soil. Excellent Autumn/Winter
flowerers - some flower year round. Not always easy to obtain though,
seem to have gone a bit out of fashion.

Richard Wright 16-07-2007 09:04 PM

ID garden plant please.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:18:48 +1000, Richard Wright
wrote:

I would like an ID on two plants currently flowering in a garden in
Merimbula (far south coast of NSW).

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ba7gdzia8l.jpg

The individual tubes of the flowers are 2 - 3 cm long.

They look to be closely related species - or maybe cultivars.

Thanks Neil and David for the Erica lead.