Old 18-07-2007, 05:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Pumpkins

Just wondering the best time of year to plant pumpkin seeds. I'm in
central queensland...rockhampton. I intend to grow butternutt

Thanks for your advise.

Old 18-07-2007, 09:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Warren,
I reckon you could probably put them in now, but someone with more local
knowledge might refine that. We have to wait until the last frost (last
week of Sep) before planting them out, but I put seeds in to pots in my hot
house last weekend.

Basically they don't like cold - but can also suffer badly from hot moist
conditions when mildew becomes a real issue. They also don't like sudden
increases in water once the pumpkins are near fully formed (they split), but
they enjoy being hot and dry.

Geoff
oups.com...

Old 19-07-2007, 12:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

Take a look at http://www.global-garden.com.au/ggplantguide.htm

Old 19-07-2007, 07:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day warren,

if you are going to strike the seeeds inside in the warmth then
anytime now, or for outside after the chance of frost has gone which
could extend into mid september? also the soil need to be warm so
would need to be heavily mulched.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:39:32 -0700, Warren
wrote:

Just wondering the best time of year to plant pumpkin seeds. I'm in
central queensland...rockhampton. I intend to grow butternutt

Thanks for your advise.

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2004 04:04 PM
Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.) contrapositive Gardening 0 22-04-2004 02:02 AM
Hulless-seeded pumpkins David Auker Edible Gardening 0 04-11-2003 04:12 AM
Pumpkins Jon United Kingdom 3 24-06-2003 01:56 PM
Bugs & pumpkins SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:32 AM