Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default vines for sheds

"0tterbot" wrote in message

does anyone have any points for or against jasmine in this situation?
is there one jasmine above all that you would recommend? or a better
suggestion?

if you had a fugly shed, what would you grow on it?

I'd grow a Dorothy Perkins rose. They will grow well in clay and will
grow over the whole shed (sorry not a huge fan of jasmine).

my loathing of roses is only matched by their loathing of me g! (it's
an early-childhood-bike-accident thing....;-)

:-)) If I had a loathing for every nasty incident that happened to me in
my childhood, I'd never have chooks or a garden or go near dogs, cats,
cattle, pushbikes or horses.

yeah, i know. i decided to just limit my neurosis to roses though ;-) having
said that, they seem to leap out at me whenever i pass the damn things. my
bike accident was truly spectacular, but now roses just harrass me in tiny
ways. g

tbh, i don't think it's "roses" as a concept i detest exactly - it's more
that i share cranky old clive blazey's opinion that the hybrid picking roses
are over-large (but mostly quite lovely) flowers growing on truly,
genuinely, unattractive bushes. whereas the old roses are just gorgeous,
bushes & all. kwim? (i'm a kind of wholistic gardener - if it looks crap 8
months of the year, i don't really want it ;-)

I've also been told that I shouldn't prune roses (or weed near them)
because of the risk of infection (caused by thorns) that they apparently
pose to someone such as myself for one of the types of cancers I have
survived. I ignore that last piece of advice. If the cancers didn't kill
me, then my number just isn't up yet and even if my ignorance of such
advice does result in death, well so what? We all have to die of
something.

:-)) that's a great attitude. my grandfather was a market gardener in the
heady days of ddt & my mum (who must have got it all over herself multiple
times) kind of thinks the same thing (about how it's probably in all our dna
now like a time bomb... argh!)

but yes. if you love your roses, i should think you get more value from
loving them & caring for them than worrying about what "might" happen. :-)

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful. i'm pretty sure i've seen dorothy perkins &
it is beautiful too. old-fashioned climbing and banking roses really are
lovely provided i don't have to go near them. sigh!!

Most roses are lovely if they are in the right setting and are the right
colour and if they have perfume (I don't like roses with no perfume). I
think the same could probably said for most flowering plants.

that's very true. i was talking with someone recently who wants to convert
his old garden into all-native, & i DID say, keep your roses for now while
you're still thinking about it all, not least because they're tough & easy.
all plants have their place, in the right place. roses have a lot going for
them.
kylie

Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

And dry doesn't it, this time of year, and with the water restrictions :-(

thanks for the ideas. frankly, i look forward to putting in more
perennials & things. the garden just still looks so NUDE!
kylie

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!) climber
here & it's just beautiful.

Rosa banksiae -- named after Mrs Joseph Banks.

you spooky thing.

Nah -- it's one of the very small number of thornless climbers. Saw it
somewhere and found out what it was.

Now if anyone can give me the name of the beautifully-scented soft-yellow rose
that you occasionally see growing outside 1930s houses...?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 03-08-2007, 12:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message
And dry doesn't it, this time of year, and with the water restrictions :-(

a bit dry, but we use the Wonder of Grey Water at our place, so my garden's
not dry like the paddocks are :-)

i can't believe though that the lovely rain we had has left nothing to show!
i guess it had a lot of soaking in to do, so it did.

i am establishing my garden (which is why it's nude) & have to enviously
look at the gardens going in at a retirement-type place being built near
here - they are putting in _full-sized_ perennial bushes & it's looking all
planted-up and lush!! i could weep with longing :-)
kylie

Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

:-)) If I had a loathing for every nasty incident that happened to me in
my childhood, I'd never have chooks or a garden or go near dogs, cats,
cattle, pushbikes or horses.

yeah, i know. i decided to just limit my neurosis to roses though ;-)
having said that, they seem to leap out at me whenever i pass the damn
things. my bike accident was truly spectacular, but now roses just harrass
me in tiny ways. g

I have a particular loathing for tulips. If anyone asks me why, I say
because they are stiff and formal but then I love all of the narcissus
family so there is absolutely no logic at all in my reaction to tulips
because daffs etc are all similar to tulips.

tbh, i don't think it's "roses" as a concept i detest exactly - it's more
that i share cranky old clive blazey's opinion that the hybrid picking
roses are over-large (but mostly quite lovely) flowers growing on truly,
genuinely, unattractive bushes.

I'd agree with that to some extent. Hybrid teas are very like that.
Perhaps it is more a matter of needing to know more about the huge family of
roses to find the right ones. Peirre de Ronsard has got to be one of my all
time favourites and it has huge heads if weel grown and the heads can often
droop, but not if they are well grown. I can't seem to grow them well, but
I keep trying to get them to lift their heads.

whereas the old roses are just gorgeous,
bushes & all. kwim? (i'm a kind of wholistic gardener - if it looks crap 8
months of the year, i don't really want it ;-)

Yeah. I no longer grow any roses that aren't recurrant flowerers.

I've also been told that I shouldn't prune roses (or weed near them)
because of the risk of infection (caused by thorns) that they apparently
pose to someone such as myself for one of the types of cancers I have
survived. I ignore that last piece of advice. If the cancers didn't
kill me, then my number just isn't up yet and even if my ignorance of
such advice does result in death, well so what? We all have to die of
something.

:-)) that's a great attitude. my grandfather was a market gardener in the
heady days of ddt & my mum (who must have got it all over herself multiple
times) kind of thinks the same thing (about how it's probably in all our
dna now like a time bomb... argh!)

Hmmm. I think I spoke too soon. I am now very carefully watching a finger
and wondering if I should take it to the doctor for some antibiotics. Hit a
thorn din' I!!!

[...]

Yes. I have seen many long abandoned old cottages whihc still have roses
growing in an otherwise cattle eaten and dessimated garden. I like such
survival plants.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote:

having said that, we do have a lovely pale-yellow (thornless!!!!)
climber
here & it's just beautiful.

Rosa banksiae -- named after Mrs Joseph Banks.

you spooky thing.

Nah -- it's one of the very small number of thornless climbers. Saw it
somewhere and found out what it was.

Now if anyone can give me the name of the beautifully-scented soft-yellow
rose
that you occasionally see growing outside 1930s houses...?

Any more info than that? What does the bush look like? how full is the
rose? Is it a soft yellow, a strong yellow? Does it have any flushes of
other colour? etc

Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Now if anyone can give me the name of the beautifully-scented soft-yellow
rose that you occasionally see growing outside 1930s houses...?

Any more info than that? What does the bush look like? how full is the
rose? Is it a soft yellow, a strong yellow? Does it have any flushes of
other colour? etc

Well, it looks like a rose-bush -- the ordinary kind of rose you see in
suburban gardens (think of the form of a "Peace" rose, though it doesn't seem
to grow as tall). New growth is that lovely maroon. The flower is a soft
yellow, almost a buff, tending to apricot. It's not a really complex rose
like "Buff Beauty", but has a similar colour. In shape of the flower and
number of petals it is rather like "Peace". The flower is not large like
"Blue Moon", but it certainly isn't small like R. banksiae either. The petals
are thick, not thin like "Iceberg". I have no idea about flowering season as
the bushes I have seen have not been cared-for. The scent is delicate and
fresh -- I've smelt a lot of unpleasantly soapy modern roses (as well as the
unscented ones -- why bother, I ask!).

Does that help? I have occasionally browsed rose books in an effort to find
out what it is, but without success.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
[...]

Probably a HT given the age and the bush shape and the fact that it has
individual moderate sized flowers. That narrows it a bit, but not a lot.
I'll start trawlign through my rose books to see if I can find anything that
would fit a release time of late 1920s to say late 1930s of that solour and
size and new growth colour. Don't hold your breathe though.

Have you thought of just knocking on the door of one of these houses with
one of these roses and asking for a cutting or two? I've never yet found
anyone who doesn't like talking about their plants (even those who don't
seem to fit the mould of what I'd think of as "gardeners")?

Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 07:56 AM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
try here for concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 08:19 AM
concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 05-02-2004 06:48 PM
sheds karen United Kingdom 4 27-05-2003 10:20 AM