Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default brushwood fencing

What are your opinion on this type of fencing for privacy.

Is it durable?
Does it rot?
Does it last?

Thanks for any advice given
Katherine

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message
What are your opinion on this type of fencing for privacy.

Is it durable?
Does it rot?
Does it last?

Thanks for any advice given
Katherine

Well IMHO all I've seen look shoddy after about 6 months and it is an
expensive product.
--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thank you for the links Jon,

I don't know if I would do a big area with it. We only have a small
backyard/courtyard, but might be good for a "L" corner to hide the next
doors toilet wall and back fence (for privacy). Maybe 3ft wide wall and 3ft
of the fencing. If that makes sense. K-mart had it on special a while back.
$14.99 (save $15) - 1.8m high x 2m wide.

Can I plant a climber on it?

Thanks again.
Katherine

"

Old 10-08-2007, 01:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

jones wrote:
Thank you for the links Jon,

I don't know if I would do a big area with it. We only have a small
backyard/courtyard, but might be good for a "L" corner to hide the next
doors toilet wall and back fence (for privacy). Maybe 3ft wide wall and 3ft
of the fencing. If that makes sense. K-mart had it on special a while back.
$14.99 (save $15) - 1.8m high x 2m wide.

Can I plant a climber on it?

Thanks again.
Katherine

"
Well IMHO all I've seen look shoddy after about 6 months and it is an
expensive product.

If you plant a climber on it. it may make it last longer, but also the
dampness can cause it to rot, depending on type of material. If you keep
the water away from fence and just water the roots it could also last
longer Handled with common sense it should be OK.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:00 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks again Jon,

Just a idea, I may not end up doing that. I realised yesterday that my back
fence is 6ft, which I think is 1.8m. In that case the brush fencing will
come up as far as the fence, serving no good purpose at all :-)

Katherine

Can I plant a climber on it?

Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" writes:
What are your opinion on this type of fencing for privacy.

Is it durable?
Does it rot?
Does it last?

Is brushwood that stuff made up of thousands of thin sticks all tightly
bundled together? I'd hate to have the job of tying them into the bundles.

It seems surprisingly long lasting. Doesn't seem to rot, but maybe if it
was standing on swampy soil it might. I'd say it will be good for 30+
years here in Sydney, just make sure the posts are as longlasting.

They have one serious downside. (I'll whisper in case there are any
school children listening.... but these fences are not recommended for
properties in those areas where bored teenagers have discovered that
a boring Friday night can be turned into Guy Faux night with just a
splash of something flammable! I think it was Melb that some years ago
suffered a serial brushwood-fence firebug; something like two or three
dozen fences went up in flames. Scary if it's alongside your home. And
I wouldn't think these fences would be a wise choice if you are near
bushland because of the obvious vulnerability to bushfire.)
--
John Savage (who, for the record, has never lived in Melbourne!)

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
"jones" writes:
[...]

"Jon" wrote in message
u...
We will cross you off our list of suspects.
The fires are still being lit and its "Guy Fawke's"

if you really want to be pedantic, it should read Guy Fawkes's night
Maybe because he doesn't live in Melbourne he doesn't know how to spell
Fawkes

but the fences he refers to were hedges

Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:
John Savage wrote:
"jones" writes:
[...]

"Jon" wrote in message
u...
We will cross you off our list of suspects.
The fires are still being lit and its "Guy Fawke's"

if you really want to be pedantic, it should read Guy Fawkes's night
Maybe because he doesn't live in Melbourne he doesn't know how to spell
Fawkes

but the fences he refers to were hedges

Where he lives doesnt matter. He's not who were after.
Re hedges, he's got the general idea, but still any wooden fence can be
set alight, the brush ones probably more so. But some may be treated
with a fire retardent. Wish we could fix the retards that wish to set
fences alight.
Looks like Mr Savage made a "Faux pas"
The term comes from French and literally means "false step". However, it
is a formal rather than everyday expression in French and does not
generally have the figurative meaning used in English.
We were concerend about the name. Its not everyday some tries to blow up
parliament. We'd better get his name right. We dont want to blame the
wrong person, or lend him our sim card.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

Brushwood fences are very flammable. They were highly popular around
Annandale in Sydney about 25 years ago and you'd see several on each
street until the local pyro discovered how easy it is to set them on
fire. The whole lot went up in days. They are much easier to light than
wood fences or hedges which are generally still green and not so easy to
get going. Fire retardant would be needed if it was on a street facing
fence.

And hey, stop fussing about spelling! Just call it cracker night!

Maybe because he doesn't live in Melbourne he doesn't know how to
spell Fawkes

but the fences he refers to were hedges

Where he lives doesnt matter. He's not who were after.
Re hedges, he's got the general idea, but still any wooden fence can be
set alight, the brush ones probably more so. But some may be treated
with a fire retardent. Wish we could fix the retards that wish to set
fences alight.
Looks like Mr Savage made a "Faux pas"
The term comes from French and literally means "false step". However, it
is a formal rather than everyday expression in French and does not
generally have the figurative meaning used in English.
We were concerend about the name. Its not everyday some tries to blow up
parliament. We'd better get his name right. We dont want to blame the
wrong person, or lend him our sim card.

thin
Old 20-08-2007, 10:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message
What are your opinion on this type of fencing for privacy.

Is it durable?
Does it rot?
Does it last?

Thanks for any advice given
Katherine

Katherine... I have had the remains of a very expensive Brush Fence now for
years..

My answer to your query as follows...

Is it Durable.... NO

Does it Rot.......YES

Does it last.......NO

The first part to go was the Top rolled part....Then it slowly drops...and
big gaping holes appear.....Any dog or similar animal can break through so
easily...

Beautiful when first erected..Absolute privacy...Within a couple of years it
starts to deteriorate fast....It costs the earth and looks shocking when it
deteriorates ... I do not recommend it at all..It is also very prone to
fire as well...

Bigbazza Oz

Old 21-08-2007, 03:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks BigBazza.

After reading posts here about it, I think I will opt for a softish smallish
tree or something natural with a bit of colour in the flowers or the leaves.

Katherine

Beautiful when first erected..Absolute privacy...Within a couple of years
it starts to deteriorate fast....It costs the earth and looks shocking
when it deteriorates ... I do not recommend it at all..It is also very
prone to fire as well...

Bigbazza Oz

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 03:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM