Old 13-08-2007, 05:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Fluffy Grapefruit

We have just had a branch snap off our grapefruit, due to too many fruit,
and as they are almost ripe we decided to juice them. When we cut the fruit
open we noticed that this year they have at least 1/2 inch (1cm for the
young ones) of fluffy white pith between the skin and the flesh meaning
there is less flesh - last year it was only a very thin layer.

Does any one know the real cause of this - I have heard it is due to too
much water ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Old 13-08-2007, 10:21 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
u...
We have just had a branch snap off our grapefruit, due to too many fruit,
and as they are almost ripe we decided to juice them. When we cut the
fruit open we noticed that this year they have at least 1/2 inch (1cm for
the young ones) of fluffy white pith between the skin and the flesh
meaning there is less flesh - last year it was only a very thin layer.

Does any one know the real cause of this - I have heard it is due to too
much water ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Not ripe enough
leave them in the fridge for a month or so and the pith will lessen

Old 13-08-2007, 04:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:
"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
u...
We have just had a branch snap off our grapefruit, due to too many fruit,
and as they are almost ripe we decided to juice them. When we cut the
fruit open we noticed that this year they have at least 1/2 inch (1cm for
the young ones) of fluffy white pith between the skin and the flesh
meaning there is less flesh - last year it was only a very thin layer.

Does any one know the real cause of this - I have heard it is due to too
much water ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Not ripe enough
leave them in the fridge for a month or so and the pith will lessen

eh??
Never heard this before
Are you taking the pith there George?
giovani
Old 14-08-2007, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

"giovani" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:
[...]

Not entirely Don, just through obversations made when I stored some oranges
in my fridge and forgot that they were there, then after two months, I found
them and the pith had almost entirely disappeared
and they were as sweet as....
but then again, my oranges are sweeter than any purchased at a fruit shop or
supermarket
then I tried the same technique to other citrus fruits
technique....I like that word, a discovery found by accident is more like it
Take it or leave it its up to you.....

frost alert for today

Old 14-08-2007, 06:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:
"giovani" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:
[...]

Fair 'nough
An interesting discovery
Must give it a try
Would stay with your "technique" claim tho'
Most major discoveries are "stumbled upon"
Falling apples, baths overflowing, penicillin etc )

Old 14-08-2007, 07:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"giovani" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

Not entirely Don, just through obversations made when I stored some
oranges in my fridge and forgot that they were there, then after two
months, I found them and the pith had almost entirely disappeared
and they were as sweet as....
but then again, my oranges are sweeter than any purchased at a fruit shop
or supermarket
then I tried the same technique to other citrus fruits
technique....I like that word, a discovery found by accident is more like
it
Take it or leave it its up to you.....

Fair 'nough
An interesting discovery
Must give it a try
Would stay with your "technique" claim tho'
Most major discoveries are "stumbled upon"
Falling apples, baths overflowing, penicillin etc )

Stumbled upon.....accident.....same thing in my book
If you stumble, then you have an accident
and you cant have any oranges

Old 14-08-2007, 02:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote in message

"giovani" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

[...]

Your going out again George, without your walking frame. really it's
all a ploy, there's nothing wrong with him, he's just looking for
sympathy, a bit of a cuddle , a free feed, and a bed for the
night.

lov bassett

Old 17-08-2007, 01:04 PM posted to aus.gardens

George, Don,
Glad I gave you the opportunity to exercise your pithy wit - I try the
fridge :-)
Geoff

"giovani" wrote in message
George W. Frost wrote:

[...]

Pink fluffy flower john smile United Kingdom 14 13-07-2011 09:24 AM
Fluffy algae Grub Ponds (moderated) 2 26-05-2011 06:14 PM
Sweetcorn and the Fluffy Bits John Vanini United Kingdom 28 03-09-2007 06:31 PM
fluffy tree: can you identify? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 03-05-2005 11:36 PM
My Honeysuckle Vine Is Developing A Strange White Fluffy Coating jim evans Gardening 3 23-05-2004 04:03 PM