Old 16-08-2007, 01:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Orange tree fruiting??

Hi
Our orange tree is laden with blossoms, now I know in the years 05 & 06 we
were getting fruit off the trees in June - Aug, so what has happened?
Thanks
Sandra

Old 16-08-2007, 03:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi
Our orange tree is laden with blossoms, now I know in the years 05 & 06 we
were getting fruit off the trees in June - Aug, so what has happened?
Thanks
Sandra

Every ones confused?
Where are you living?
Old 17-08-2007, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message

Our orange tree is laden with blossoms, now I know in the years 05 & 06 we
were getting fruit off the trees in June - Aug, so what has happened?

Citrus often send out a lot of blossom when they are stressed. Is it
possible that your tree could be stressed in some way?

Old 17-08-2007, 10:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jon" wrote in message
u...
Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi
Our orange tree is laden with blossoms, now I know in the years 05 & 06
we were getting fruit off the trees in June - Aug, so what has happened?
Thanks
Sandra

Every ones confused?
Where are you living?

Hazard a guess West OZ
My orange tree has fruit on it now in Vic but not as many as two years ago

Old 17-08-2007, 11:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

George W. Frost wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
u...
Sandra Bodycoat wrote:
Hi
Our orange tree is laden with blossoms, now I know in the years 05 & 06
we were getting fruit off the trees in June - Aug, so what has happened?
Thanks
Sandra

Every ones confused?
Where are you living?

Hazard a guess West OZ
My orange tree has fruit on it now in Vic but not as many as two years ago

As was written by others just now.
Plants tomatoes oranges etc will fruit when stressed.
Lack of water being the main reason.
When a plant thinks its close to dying, it will throw its remaining
strenght into flowers.
So remove the reason of its stress and it may come back to normal behavior.
Also, plants will think its an early spring when temperature is warmer
than normal early on, and start to flower.
Profusion is the first way, early flowering the second.
I have noticed with lemons, and orange trees they can and do flower all
year round if temps are higher than normal, reflecting their origin.
Wait and see and water without overdoing things. They hate wet feet too.
See if pests are on leaves as that is also a sign of stress, they reckon
they van attack because it cant resist them due to weakness.
Isnt that typical?

Old 21-08-2007, 01:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

I'm also in WA, and my lime tree is in full blossom, similarly not stressed!
Both the mandarins and cumquats ripened very early this year
too..........could try to blame global warming, but suspect it is just an
odd year for odd citrus

Joanne

Old 04-09-2007, 06:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:14:20 GMT, "The Lady Gardener"
wrote:

I'm also in WA, and my lime tree is in full blossom, similarly not stressed!
Both the mandarins and cumquats ripened very early this year
too..........could try to blame global warming, but suspect it is just an
odd year for odd citrus

The weather is all over the place here in Perth this year. Yesterday
it was 26 and today it was in the low 20's then at night it gets down
to 4 degrees.

The fig tree we've had for 45 years has always produced figs around
March and April but last year we had figs in Dec to January which is 4
months early. And this year it looks like happening again. Even my fig
tree cuttings of just over 2 years ago are doing the same thing alo9ng
with the neighbours fig tree.

We also have a cumquat which has ripened in the last few weeks.

Meanwhile my second attempt at broccoli seems to be going quite well
now. I had two thirds of them not going anywhere but placed that
organic nitrogen and now all but one is growing quite well now.

Joanne