Old 31-08-2007, 11:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Planting now

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Right now I am picking asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, peas, several

letuces
and leafy greens, leeks, colards, kale. Waiting for strawberrys and
artichokes.

Waht are collards? I've seen references to them but never come across

them

Collard greens are a brassica, a bit like kale in that they don't form a
head and you keep cutting them and they last more than one season. The
leaves are quite large and fleshy where kale is thinner. Cabbage moth
grubs
don't bother them nearly as much as cabbage or cauliflower and they keep
going in hot weather.

They sound like worth trying. Did you use seeds?

Yes, no problems.

David

Old 02-09-2007, 12:03 AM posted to aus.gardens

What are you planting now?

the next round of veggies, of course!! i've got loads of seedlings (and
seeds) going in punnets in the greenhouse. have also been planting various
peas etc outside but they're going so slooooowly i wonder why i bothered.

also focussing on getting going various self-seeding flowers, as i've
realised i love me flowers, but i'm not about to put much effort into them
g. the autumn bulb planting i did has been a wonderful success (on that
note).

And what is your climate?

cool temperate southern tablelands. we've had spring for a week!!!! everyone
says it's too early & it will all end in tears, but gosh it's BEAUTIFUL.
kylie

Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM posted to aus.gardens

I'm in the Lower Hunter - similar to David, still the possibility of a late
frost up to the end of this month - but I'm taking a punt that the ground is
too warm now, so I have planted out tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, zucchini and
rock melon - as well as the usual all year crops. However,, I still have
backup plants safe and warm in the hot house - just in case. I've had my
first three asparagus sprouts (including my first purple one) and this
little cold snap has brought on some mushrooms from the mushroom compost I
have mulched my fruit trees with.

What is really amazing is that I picked tomatoes at the weekend !!! I had a
Tommy Toe plant that went in a bit late and had not quite finished at the
end of the season, so I left it on the trellis and planted peas around it.
They grew all over the trellis and I forgot the tomato was in there. The
peas have come and gone and the Tomato re-emerged complete with some fruit
which have ripened over the last couple of weeks - it now has another flush
of flowers - sort of blows away the challenge of getting Tomatoes before
Xmas :-)

Cheers,
Geoff

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

What are you planting now? And what is your climate?

East coast NSW OZ (warm temperate, late winter). I am not planting yet
due
to the possibilty of a late frost. I have all my summer seedlings in trays
in a plastic hot house ready to go in about 2 weeks. I have 48 cultivars
in
trays mostly veges but some flowers.

Planting now Farm1 Australia 21 14-01-2007 01:04 AM
Fall planting: should you fertilize now? - A PlantMan Article. Earl Buchan Gardening 0 27-10-2003 10:12 PM
Suggestions for hanging basket planting for now Robert United Kingdom 0 07-08-2003 09:11 PM
Planting onion seeds now zxcvbob Edible Gardening 5 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Planting hedges now Bonsai John T. Jarrett Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM