Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Vegemite?

I was advised yesterday the smearing vegemite on the stem of a cutting
is as good as plant rooting powder for striking cuttings.

Anybody heard of this?

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons
Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Spiny Norman wrote:
I was advised yesterday the smearing vegemite on the stem of a cutting
is as good as plant rooting powder for striking cuttings.

Anybody heard of this?

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

If its an Aussie native it should be OK! Aussies love vegemite!(grin)
otherwise read this.

It is best to take your cuttings from the hardened new growth that
arises between October and April. The plant producing your cutting
material should have finished a growth surge, with a clean and healthy
appearance and no moulds on the stems. Cut it into 7-10cm lengths, and
trim the leaves off the lower half of the cutting, ensuring no bark is
torn off the stem. Remove young growing shoots or flowers. Dip the cut
end into a rooting hormone powder to stimulate faster, more reliable
root growth. Grevilleas prefer a low nutrient propagation mix, like 1:2
parts peat moss and coarse sand. Place the entire pot in a plastic bag
and seal. The new cutting will produce roots in about 4 to 8 weeks, and
can be potted up once the roots are 3-5cm long.

Are you keeping the cuttings cool like wrapping them in damp paper if
not potting up straight away as they will dry out quickly, I have potted
up hundreds of cuttings and none have died within four days as they
usually have enought moisture in them to keep them alive for a while and
this is Queensland.

And Pete's (Gardening Australia) other rooting compound is vegemite but
I have never tried that interesting all the same yes do let us know how
you go.......MM.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
I was advised yesterday the smearing vegemite on the stem of a cutting
is as good as plant rooting powder for striking cuttings.

Anybody heard of this?

no!!!

although i have heard honey is good.

are you going to try vegemite?
kylie

Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
See my previous post re vegemite.
Peter Cundall has.

i really love peter cundall, but i think i'd need another reason as well
before i start putting vegemite on my cuttings!!
kylie

Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

I suppose you could always eat them if you didnt trust the method (grin)
Like so many other things, as cuttings are free, why not try it on some
and see? You can only gain from this. Some say honey, others put bleach
on them, and that sterilises the cutting. At first thought you'd think
it would kill them.. But no it can work to help the cuttings

Old 02-09-2007, 10:53 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
I was advised yesterday the smearing vegemite on the stem of a cutting
is as good as plant rooting powder for striking cuttings.

Anybody heard of this?

There was an article about it in a Burke's Backyard mag a few years back.
Apparently it worked even better than rooting powder.

Amanda

Old 03-09-2007, 04:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Many years ago I was told by a lady who taught horticulture at the local
TAFE that Vegemite was great on cuttings. From memory she mentioned the
yeast was what made it work!! Never tried it myself as I don't have
Vegemite in the house, can't stand the smell of the stuff!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 04-09-2007, 01:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:05:36 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote in
aus.gardens:

"Spiny Norman" wrote in message
.. .
I was advised yesterday the smearing vegemite on the stem of a cutting
is as good as plant rooting powder for striking cuttings.

are you going to try vegemite?
kylie

I thought I would give it a go, nothing to lose.

I love my vegemite.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
Many years ago I was told by a lady who taught horticulture at the local
TAFE that Vegemite was great on cuttings. From memory she mentioned the
yeast was what made it work!! Never tried it myself as I don't have
Vegemite in the house, can't stand the smell of the stuff!! LOL

Does this mean you'd fail the Australian citizenship test then?
[:-).

Old 04-09-2007, 12:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

I reckon the only ones who should fail the citizens ship tests are the
idiots who devised them.
There is more to being a good citizen then passing a history test.

HC wrote:
Yep!! .....s'pose I would!! ROFLMHO!!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
I reckon the only ones who should fail the citizens ship tests are the
idiots who devised them.
There is more to being a good citizen then passing a history test.

obviously!!
i'm a bit of a wonk about that stuff & yet would fail outright!!

i like me vegemite though. might give it a go on some cuttings, just to see
what happens, while celebrating a change of govt later this year g
kylie

Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
I reckon the only ones who should fail the citizens ship tests are the
idiots who devised them.
There is more to being a good citizen then passing a history test.

Agreed. Aparently it includes
"What is australia's favourite sport?"
To which the answer is "cricket"

How fscking stupid is that.