Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

Default What fertilizers are good for growing broccoli ?

What fertilizers are good for growing broccoli ?
Which are the ones trhat don't flower as my last crop flowered when
the plant was only about a foot of the ground if that

I've planted a second batch of seedlings down with blood and bone.
Using pot ash once a week and so far about two thirds are dying and
the left over looks ok for now.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

"col" wrote in message
news

What fertilizers are good for growing broccoli ?

will get to that in a minute ;-)

Which are the ones trhat don't flower as my last crop flowered when
the plant was only about a foot of the ground if that

they all flower - the green buds we eat are flower buds :-) if they bolt to
flower too soon, it means they're not happy for some reason. alternatively,
perhaps you just weren't ready for it, even though the plants were, & the
flowering caught you off-guard before you had a chance to pick it...?

ime, broccoli planted in winter (which i have done) probably just wants to
bolt when spring comes, so don't do that - it's just too late.

the broccoli i put in last spring lasted most of winter (it just went on &
on!) & i took the last one out last week (the sprouts were just getting too
small to be bothered with, but they were still coming). the broccoli i have
in currently, i planted in autumn, & we're picking it now in droves. n.b:
these autumn plants are _much_ smaller (only about knee-high as you have
said) but the heads & sprouts are good. they WILL flower when the buds are
ready, though, so it's up to you to pick them before they flower.

I've planted a second batch of seedlings down with blood and bone.

that sounds good.

Using pot ash once a week and so far about two thirds are dying and
the left over looks ok for now.

if 2/3 are dying, something is wrong. i feel potash once a week is just far
too much & might be the problem. i'd water it out & leave things for a
couple of weeks, jmo.

i put my veg (in general) into manured mulched & composted (when i have
enough) soil. in my own case, the soil isn't that good yet, & needs more
organic matter (but then, all soils do). however, this practice means the
stuff rots over the lifetime of the plant & feeds it as it grows, too.

the other thing i do for the brassicas (in fact, most of my veg) is use poo
stew or weed stew: in a smallish receptacle of some kind, fill with either
weeds/comfrey/other green stuff, or old poo (any kind). fill with water &
leave for 2-4 weeks. it will need straining & will smell ghastly until the
3-5 week mark (but you can use it before it stops smelling, any time after 2
weeks - just try not to get it on your hands ;-). put about a litre of
strained liquid into about 8-10 litres of water in the watering can, or at
any rate dilute until it's quite a light colour. apply every 2 weeks (or in
my case, when i realise i haven't done it for ages ;-) either onto the
plant's soil, or you can use it for foliar feeding (apply directly to
leaves). it's very simple & is free & brassicas love it. because brassicas
are flowering plants, you don't want too much nitrogen but equally, you
don't want too much of anything else, either. blood & bone, or weed stew, or
just very healthy soil with lovely organic matter breaking down in it
continually, should be the limit of what you're doing re fertilising. i
think you've overdone it with potash, in this case. they love their feeding
& watering but ime not quite enough feeding is far better than too much -
they won't die of underfeeding (they just might not perform as well), but
they will die of overfeeding.

hth! broccoli can be a bit weird at first ime, but quite simple once you get
a grip on what to do & how long they take; when almost ready, they need
watching so you catch them before they flower.
kylie

Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:34:58 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"col" wrote in message
news

What fertilizers are good for growing broccoli ?

will get to that in a minute ;-)

Which are the ones trhat don't flower as my last crop flowered when
the plant was only about a foot of the ground if that

they all flower - the green buds we eat are flower buds :-) if they bolt to
flower too soon, it means they're not happy for some reason. alternatively,
perhaps you just weren't ready for it, even though the plants were, & the
flowering caught you off-guard before you had a chance to pick it...?

ime, broccoli planted in winter (which i have done) probably just wants to
bolt when spring comes, so don't do that - it's just too late.

I planted the broccoli just as winter was coming but its been a weird
winter here in Perth where we have had spring days for a week or two
in the middle of winter with temps in the mid 20's. The fig tree is
confused too as its bringing up figs now when in years gone past the
figs are ripe around late March into April. Last summer though we had
figs around December to January which was an odd year too.

I think the area I planted thr broccoli wa sto shaded so this time
have it in a more open area where the cabbage are which are growing
really well.

the broccoli i put in last spring lasted most of winter (it just went on &
on!) & i took the last one out last week (the sprouts were just getting too
small to be bothered with, but they were still coming). the broccoli i have
in currently, i planted in autumn, & we're picking it now in droves. n.b:
these autumn plants are _much_ smaller (only about knee-high as you have
said) but the heads & sprouts are good. they WILL flower when the buds are
ready, though, so it's up to you to pick them before they flower.

They are flowering when they are only a few mm wide. Too tiny to eat.

I've planted a second batch of seedlings down with blood and bone.

that sounds good.

Using pot ash once a week and so far about two thirds are dying and
the left over looks ok for now.

if 2/3 are dying, something is wrong. i feel potash once a week is just far
too much & might be the problem. i'd water it out & leave things for a
couple of weeks, jmo.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do as you suggest.

[...]

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I'm only just starting to get
into growing my own food as local prices are getting out of control
plus never know what you're eating with chemicals these days on foods.

I've enjoyed my fig tree in the last 5 years with really nice big
large red figs which are so sweet and great for jam. We get buckets
load of figs off this one huge tree and have cuttings which are
growing really well since I placed an organic seaweed fertilizer on it
a couple of weeks ago which so far as really made the cuttings grow
much faster than using pot ash. I may try it on a few broccolie plants
later on.

Anyway thanks for the great reply.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

"col" wrote in message

these autumn plants are _much_ smaller (only about knee-high as you have
said) but the heads & sprouts are good. they WILL flower when the buds are
ready, though, so it's up to you to pick them before they flower.

They are flowering when they are only a few mm wide. Too tiny to eat.

aha... i think you are misunderstanding the plants..? (please correct me if
i'm wrong!!): each little bud will become a flower (as you've observed) but
the buds grow in groups - the biggest topmost group (called the "head") and
the sprouts ("side shoots"). when the head is ready, its stalk will be
perhaps 3cm in diameter, & you cut the whole head off with secateurs. the
side shoots will then start growing vigorously, & you keep harvesting them
(they just keep coming, down the stalk) until they're becoming so small it's
not worth the bother. essentially you are eating masses of flower buds all
at once. each little bud will NOT become a head. but indeed, when the buds
are ready for eating, they are only a few mm wide each at the most, but
there are hundreds of them all together. when the little buds start looking
"loose", they're about to flower, so eat them all up straight away!

hope i haven't misunderstood what you've said here. :-)

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

that's ok! not everyone appreciates the way i go on & on....

I'm only just starting to get
into growing my own food as local prices are getting out of control
plus never know what you're eating with chemicals these days on foods.

homegrown is best!! ime even though not everything will be truly successful
especially at first or when the weather is weird, it's wonderfully fresh &
you know where it's been. (and no food miles at all). and we can learn more
from our failures than from our successes as well, so we get more success
quite quickly. most veg are fabulously easy once you've read a few books &
got a few tips from people who know better (this group is great for that),
only a few sorts of veg are truly difficult, or are so time-consuming or
low-yeilding it's not worth the bother.

I've enjoyed my fig tree in the last 5 years with really nice big
large red figs which are so sweet and great for jam. We get buckets
load of figs off this one huge tree and have cuttings which are
growing really well since I placed an organic seaweed fertilizer on it
a couple of weeks ago which so far as really made the cuttings grow
much faster than using pot ash. I may try it on a few broccolie plants
later on.

i know lots of peeps who are huge fans of seaweed fertiliser, it has a great
reputation. good luck with your veg, and the figs sound wonderful!
kylie

Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:45:49 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"col" wrote in message
.. .

these autumn plants are _much_ smaller (only about knee-high as you have
said) but the heads & sprouts are good. they WILL flower when the buds are
ready, though, so it's up to you to pick them before they flower.

They are flowering when they are only a few mm wide. Too tiny to eat.

aha... i think you are misunderstanding the plants..? (please correct me if

Bought the seedling plants at Dawsons. They have broccoli tags on
them. I start to get broccoli growing but the small dark green buds
open up and flour with a yellow flour.

i'm wrong!!): each little bud will become a flower (as you've observed) but
the buds grow in groups - the biggest topmost group (called the "head") and
the sprouts ("side shoots"). when the head is ready, its stalk will be

One lot sprouts out and another on the same group flower and then the
rest start to flower. I snip them off which i swhat the guys at
Dawsons told me to do if they flower an dhope that the ones below keep
growing up but that has failed to work.

I planted them in a more sunny area this time round and will do as you
advise and not over fertillize.

To better describe what has happened I'll take some pictures of what I
ended up ripping out of the ground a few days ago so you can see what
I'm trying to describe.

perhaps 3cm in diameter, & you cut the whole head off with secateurs. the
side shoots will then start growing vigorously, & you keep harvesting them
(they just keep coming, down the stalk) until they're becoming so small it's
not worth the bother. essentially you are eating masses of flower buds all
at once. each little bud will NOT become a head. but indeed, when the buds
are ready for eating, they are only a few mm wide each at the most, but
there are hundreds of them all together. when the little buds start looking
"loose", they're about to flower, so eat them all up straight away!

hope i haven't misunderstood what you've said here. :-)

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

that's ok! not everyone appreciates the way i go on & on....

Its much appreciated.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:45:49 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"col" wrote in message
.. .

i know lots of peeps who are huge fans of seaweed fertiliser, it has a great
reputation. good luck with your veg, and the figs sound wonderful!
kylie

Having a look at what I was given a bit more closely and its Organic
Nitrogen which I mix about two teaspoons into a 2 litre plastic
container and then pour it over the plant which my fig cuttings love.
I can't believe what a huge impact its made on the cuttings in just
two weeks.

I was thinking of another thing that had seaweed in it called I think
fishplus ?

Anyway many thanks on all the helpful feedback.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:16 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 09:45:49 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"col" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I'm having a bit more luck now.
Not used potash this week but tried organic nitrogen a few days ago
and now its seems to have done the trick. One plant though doesn't
look like it's going to last but over all its going rather well.

I took pics of the broccoli I pulled out of the garden a few days ago.
I'll upload them to the pc and then onto the web site tomorrow some
time.

My cabbage patch has been attacked by snails. Any safe way to get rid
of them without the use of chemicals please.