Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Rhubarb from seed - what results?

G'day

Has anyone grown Rhubarb from seed? Just wondering about your results.
I planted some seed this morning, just being a little impatient....and
curious!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

HC wrote:
G'day

Has anyone grown Rhubarb from seed? Just wondering about your results.
I planted some seed this morning, just being a little impatient....and
curious!! LOL

Bronwyn ;-)

Youre better of using crowns.
There are some problems I've heard, but they shouldnt stop you as its a
learning curve.
This page will explain it all to you.
http://www.geocities.com/green_cache/rhubarb.html
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Jonno, I had read that, but couldn't buy crowns at the time so thought
I'd give seeds a try. Be interesting to see how they end up? LOL

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

It would be interesting. That page I sent you to has got a whole heap of
info for other stuff to grow.
I'm in Melbourne and am just "transplanting" the broad beans that grew
by themselves when my wife didn't get them all last summer (I know not
supposed to transplant and not supposed to grow them in summer) But I
had some room and experimented and they were OK with no sign of
diseases, so I may do so again this year. The climates gone quite
stupid, and if the climate can go stupid so can I. No limits no rules
and lets do something different in the garden.
Rhubarb from sees is great to see what happens. I wouldnt mind some of
the huge variety they grow in Canada and places like that. 5 feet and
taller I read on the Net.Just finished moving my crowns and I'm late but
it will work out. Now to put in the tomatoes (too early but ever
optimistic, no more frost I hope, they're cheap enough otherwise)
Keep moving them in the garden to prevent disease.Lettuces and silver
beet and Lebanese cucumbers.
Nearly wrote of the girl at the woolies checkout with the chook pellets.
She got one whiff, and nearly fainted. Obviously not a gardener. Must
try mulching also this year.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:08 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Gee, don't be too hard on your local checkout chick?? LOL

That Rhubarb you mentioned in Canada sounds fabulous...wonder if it
tastes as nice? My poor old grandfather got me hooked on rhubarb when I
was a kid so suppose I'll have to blame him for some of my food
favourites.

Who cares about not transplanting etc...if it works for you, then that's
great. I tend to do my own thing too. Planted some tomato seeds today,
better late than never but I haven't worried about a vegie garden for
several years while I've been crook, and only decided a few days ago to
start again this season. I also want to grow some green/yellow/white
striped tomatoes after watching Jamie Oliver make a great tomato salad
with all the colours available. It looked really interesting.

On the lookout for some bulk manure at the moment, already got half a
dozen bales of hay. Don't get frosts here at any time of the year
(MidNorthCoast NSW), but had rain for the last 3-4 days with more
forecast over the weekend.

Bronwyn ;-)