Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Recycling lawn

Hi everyone, good to see Len and others still helping out.

My lawn has some grass and a lot of weeds, plus I'm going to level the
lawned area so need to rip up the old lawn. Is there any way of mulching
the old lawn to use in the new garden beds I'm creating or should I pay the
money to get it removed?

I'd like to recycle if possible but don't have the time to spend the rest of
my life removing grass and weeds from the garden beds.

Thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Robo wrote:
Hi everyone, good to see Len and others still helping out.

My lawn has some grass and a lot of weeds, plus I'm going to level the
lawned area so need to rip up the old lawn. Is there any way of mulching
the old lawn to use in the new garden beds I'm creating or should I pay the
money to get it removed?

I'd like to recycle if possible but don't have the time to spend the rest of
my life removing grass and weeds from the garden beds.

Cover it in newspaper or similar and leave until it all dies off.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

The "cover it with newspaper" will still leave seeds from weeds.
But if you cover it with transparent builders poly ethelene (6 foot
widths)or some such material, water it well and leave the sun to cook
the area it will sterilise the seeds as well. You will need to keep it
moist so the heat will penetrate better. Leave it for a month or so and
it should kill every thing. Otherwise, removing the surface soil and
grass would do the trick with some infestation, but only minor.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:58 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day robo,

thanks mate.

not much into lawn follies myself anymore so long as it is green and
stays green through drought that's do me.

but anyway if you where to create raised beds as we do then by all
means layer the old lawn on the bottom over the newspaper and then
cover with say mushroom compost and then mulch it that will make a
good bed and minimise resource use ie.,. taking old turf to the tip.

anotehr way would be to pile it in the shape of a bed then cover with
newspaper and mulch, once growth activity has been ceased then use it
as a bed. we ahd some construction done here and saved some over
burden and created a great herb bed from that.

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:23:27 +1000, "Robo" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--