GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   chinese lantern, when to prune (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/164555-chinese-lantern-when-prune.html)

Jen 08-09-2007 11:51 AM

chinese lantern, when to prune

My mother has a chinese lantern tree, and was wondering when to prune it.
After looking it up on the net, everywhere said to prune it in early spring
(now). But the problem is, it's starting to flower now. Do you prune it,
even though it's flowering? Or is it flowering early, and it should have
been pruned before it flowered? Or should it be left till after it's
flowered?

Thanks

Jen

David Hare-Scott 08-09-2007 12:04 PM

"Jen" wrote in message
My mother has a chinese lantern tree, and was wondering when to prune it.
After looking it up on the net, everywhere said to prune it in early

spring
(now). But the problem is, it's starting to flower now. Do you prune it,
even though it's flowering? Or is it flowering early, and it should have
been pruned before it flowered? Or should it be left till after it's
flowered?

Thanks

Jen

Mine flowers all year round. I pruned it a month ago but would do it now if
I hadn't done so.

David

Jen 08-09-2007 12:25 PM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Jen" wrote in message
My mother has a chinese lantern tree, and was wondering when to prune it.
After looking it up on the net, everywhere said to prune it in early

spring
(now). But the problem is, it's starting to flower now. Do you prune
it,
even though it's flowering? Or is it flowering early, and it should have
been pruned before it flowered? Or should it be left till after it's
flowered?

Thanks

Jen

Mine flowers all year round. I pruned it a month ago but would do it now
if
I hadn't done so.

David

I was thinking hers flowered an awful lot of the year, but hadn't really
paid it much attention. Thanks