GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Passionfruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/164798-passionfruit.html)

FarmI 13-09-2007 10:45 AM

Passionfruit

Am about to try another passionfruit in my cold climate. I haven't tried to
grow one for many years and even then the poor thing was knowcked off by the
cold before got it's adult teeth.

So, does a passionfruit need to be pollinated by another pssionfruit or can
I get by with one plant? (Assuming of course that I can get it to live).

col 13-09-2007 11:03 AM

Passionfruit

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:45:47 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Am about to try another passionfruit in my cold climate. I haven't tried to
grow one for many years and even then the poor thing was knowcked off by the
cold before got it's adult teeth.

So, does a passionfruit need to be pollinated by another pssionfruit or can
I get by with one plant? (Assuming of course that I can get it to live).

Where in oz are you ?

I'm in Perth and have never had a problem planting passionfruit.
It grows well in our soil which is horrible out the back. Where I am
on the coast it gets quite cold at night down at around 3 degrees and
by day its gusty most of the time. We don't even bother with fertliser
on these as they seem to grow really well.

FarmI 13-09-2007 12:43 PM

Passionfruit

wrote:

Am about to try another passionfruit in my cold climate. I haven't tried
grow one for many years and even then the poor thing was knowcked off by
the
cold before got it's adult teeth.

So, does a passionfruit need to be pollinated by another pssionfruit or
can
I get by with one plant? (Assuming of course that I can get it to live).

Where in oz are you ?

Southern Tableslands of NSW. It gets own to -4 regualryly here in winter
but I can manage to put the plant in a microclimate.

Do I need two plants do you know?

[email protected] 13-09-2007 10:16 PM

Passionfruit

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:43:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Do I need two plants do you know?

No.

My Nellie Kelly is a single plant and last year produced over 300 fruit.

FarmI 14-09-2007 02:50 AM

Passionfruit

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:43:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Do I need two plants do you know?

No.

My Nellie Kelly is a single plant and last year produced over 300 fruit.

Thanks! I too have bought two Nellie Kelly plants and wanted to give one
away if I didn't need to own two of them. I will be advised by you and give
away the extra one.

Jonno[_7_] 14-09-2007 06:52 AM

Passionfruit

wrote:

Am about to try another passionfruit in my cold climate. I haven't tried
grow one for many years and even then the poor thing was knowcked off by
the
cold before got it's adult teeth.

So, does a passionfruit need to be pollinated by another pssionfruit or
can
I get by with one plant? (Assuming of course that I can get it to live).
Where in oz are you ?

Southern Tableslands of NSW. It gets own to -4 regualryly here in winter
but I can manage to put the plant in a microclimate.

Do I need two plants do you know?

Yes.

No you dont, only if youre a plant retailer.
Mine has grown quite well and is by itself.
It fruits without any others.
Kiwi fruit however are another issue requiring two plants or more 1
male, and up to five females.

col 14-09-2007 07:27 AM

Passionfruit

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:50:27 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:43:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Do I need two plants do you know?

No.

My Nellie Kelly is a single plant and last year produced over 300 fruit.

Thanks! I too have bought two Nellie Kelly plants and wanted to give one
away if I didn't need to own two of them. I will be advised by you and give
away the extra one.

When we have planted just the one passionfruit its gone no where an
ddied. Planting a second one right next to the other and we get
hundreds of passionfruits. Early on though we could not understand why
it wasn't growing. Went back to where we bought it and they advised
planting a second one next to it which fixed the problem.

Chookie 14-09-2007 09:03 AM

Passionfruit

In article ,

wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:43:35 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Do I need two plants do you know?

No.

My Nellie Kelly is a single plant and last year produced over 300 fruit.

Thanks! I too have bought two Nellie Kelly plants and wanted to give one
away if I didn't need to own two of them. I will be advised by you and give
away the extra one.

I have only two hints:

1. Bury a cat in the base of the planting hole; passionfruit like nitrogen.
An unwanted husband/child/MIL/politician would also be OK.

2. Watch it like a hawk for shoots from the stock. The first NK my Dad
bought was perfectly fine, but the more recent NKs seem to have a more
aggressive stock. Not only does it shoot from the base of the plant; it
shoots from the roots too! And takes over both your garden and the graft.
The flowers are pretty -- prettier than the edible fruit flowers -- but that
isn't the point of passionfruit IMO.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

0tterbot 14-09-2007 09:11 AM

Passionfruit

wrote:

Do I need two plants do you know?

No.

My Nellie Kelly is a single plant and last year produced over 300 fruit.

Thanks! I too have bought two Nellie Kelly plants and wanted to give one
away if I didn't need to own two of them. I will be advised by you and
give away the extra one.

we had one nelly kelly in sydney & it just went off! it was fabulous. (i
assume it still is).

here, i am trying to track down a banana passionfruit (per j. french's
advice - though i admit i'm starting to find her a little tiresome at
times). i'd prefer a n.k. i'm sure, but we don't have any microclimates yet
& it got to -6.5 rather often during winter at our place.

i have a friend with a n.k. growing on the house - it fruits late & out of
timetable order, and not very well, but her place is colder than ours so i
think she thinks it's great to be getting anything out of it at all. she has
no idea where it even came from (which makes me wonder, as they are grafted,
iirc..!)
kylie

FarmI 15-09-2007 08:01 AM

Passionfruit

wrote:

Thanks! I too have bought two Nellie Kelly plants and wanted to give one
away if I didn't need to own two of them. I will be advised by you and
give
away the extra one.

When we have planted just the one passionfruit its gone no where an
ddied. Planting a second one right next to the other and we get
hundreds of passionfruits. Early on though we could not understand why
it wasn't growing. Went back to where we bought it and they advised
planting a second one next to it which fixed the problem.

When you planted the original one, did you plant it on top of a liver? That
is the recommended way of planting them on the local gardening show and
apparenlty it woks to get the thing growing like Jack's beanstalk.

FarmI 15-09-2007 08:03 AM

Passionfruit

"Chookie" wrote in message
I have only two hints:

1. Bury a cat in the base of the planting hole; passionfruit like
nitrogen.
An unwanted husband/child/MIL/politician would also be OK.

Ah! That must be where the advice to plant it on top of a cow's liver comes
from. Have no dead animals ATM, so will try the liver trick.

2. Watch it like a hawk for shoots from the stock. The first NK my Dad
bought was perfectly fine, but the more recent NKs seem to have a more
aggressive stock. Not only does it shoot from the base of the plant; it
shoots from the roots too! And takes over both your garden and the graft.
The flowers are pretty -- prettier than the edible fruit flowers -- but
that
isn't the point of passionfruit IMO.

Thanks for that - will keep an eye out for rogue growth.

FarmI 15-09-2007 08:06 AM

Passionfruit

"0tterbot" wrote in message

we had one nelly kelly in sydney & it just went off! it was fabulous. (i
assume it still is).

I thought the NK passions were for colder climates than Sydney's????

here, i am trying to track down a banana passionfruit (per j. french's
advice - though i admit i'm starting to find her a little tiresome at
times). i'd prefer a n.k. i'm sure, but we don't have any microclimates
yet & it got to -6.5 rather often during winter at our place.

Yes. Same here but I do have the odd spot where I can put one and since
thiese plants were very moderately priced, I thought I didn't have alot to
lose if it does cark it. will try a banana one if this one dies as I love
passionfruit.

i have a friend with a n.k. growing on the house - it fruits late & out of
timetable order, and not very well, but her place is colder than ours so i
think she thinks it's great to be getting anything out of it at all. she
has no idea where it even came from (which makes me wonder, as they are
grafted,

Yep. At least the ones I've bought are and the one that died years ago was
grafted too.

0tterbot 15-09-2007 11:26 PM

Passionfruit

"0tterbot" wrote in message

we had one nelly kelly in sydney & it just went off! it was fabulous. (i
assume it still is).

I thought the NK passions were for colder climates than Sydney's????

i have no idea! we bought it in ignorance. :-)

then we put it on the western end of the house (so it roasted all summer) to
keep the kitchen cool in summer. it worked an absolute treat. this was when
i realised that anyone who buys air-conditioning instead of using plants &
so forth to solve heat problems for houses needs their head read :-)
kylie

Jonno[_13_] 17-09-2007 07:34 AM

Passionfruit

Re passion fruit, I never buy the grafted ones. The seed comes from the
passion fruits I buy at the shop. They always grow and flower and if put
in the blazing hot sun in Melbourne last quite some time. Fowl manure,
an old roof drain pipe from the shed facing north south seem the way to go.