Old 16-09-2007, 09:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default lemon tree never flowers

I have a lemon tree and for the past 18 months I have lived at this
address, I've never seen a flower on it. What could I try? If it
doesn't do something it will become mulch and I'll plant a new tree in
that spott [look out lemon tree, flower and make lomons or your
going]...thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 17-09-2007, 02:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Warren" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a lemon tree and for the past 18 months I have lived at this
address, I've never seen a flower on it. What could I try? If it
doesn't do something it will become mulch and I'll plant a new tree in
that spott [look out lemon tree, flower and make lomons or your
going]...thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Where are you, when is your last frost? What is the tree's situation? How
much sun does it get? Has it grown much in 18 months, does it seem
otherwise healthy? Does it have new spring shoots yet? Do you feed it -
what with?

David

Old 17-09-2007, 05:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Warren

You reminded of a 'cure' my MIL used some years ago and she swore black
and blue it worked a treat!! We just thought it was amusing, much to
her dismay.

Anyway, her lemon tree was like yours, and someone suggested she put the
axe near it and this would frighten the tree into life. Sure enough the
tree flowered and produced quite a reasonable crop of lemons which it
hadn't done for several years.

Must say the axe beside the tree looked crazy, but she swore the threat
of death spurred the tree into action.

You are allowed to laugh....everyone did at the time!!!

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 17-09-2007, 07:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

Warren wrote:
I have a lemon tree and for the past 18 months I have lived at this
address, I've never seen a flower on it. What could I try? If it
doesn't do something it will become mulch and I'll plant a new tree in
that spott [look out lemon tree, flower and make lomons or your
going]...thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Are you watering it?

tried fertiliser and trace elements?

Tried cutting it back by half (thin out all the crown)?

Old 17-09-2007, 08:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

Warren wrote:
I have a lemon tree and for the past 18 months I have lived at this
address, I've never seen a flower on it. What could I try? If it
doesn't do something it will become mulch and I'll plant a new tree in
that spott [look out lemon tree, flower and make lomons or your
going]...thanks in advance for any suggestions.

And the other thing, drive a copper nail into it. And a mixed
fertilisers , and they love chook manure. The real stuff not the
pelletised stuff.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I have a lemon tree and for the past 18 months I have lived at this
address, I've never seen a flower on it. What could I try? If it
doesn't do something it will become mulch and I'll plant a new tree in
that spott [look out lemon tree, flower and make lomons or your
going]...thanks in advance for any suggestions.
firstly when things aren't flowering, i would check the soil to start with, are you fertilising? if yes What!? ok if its blood and bone or a similar organic product, perhaps your tree is lacking something for fruiting and flowering? If you think this is the case try getting some sulphate of potassium or potash you should be able to get this for your locale nursery, if not the smallest amount of wood ash sprinkled around the base will work, and i mean SMALL as too much will finish it off. Does it look healthy other than its lack of flowers? i wouldn't go hard with the fertiliser if its unwell that too will kill it. hope this helps.