GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/165378-trick-growing-tomatoes-brisbane.html)

Lionel van den Berg 26-09-2007 10:56 AM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

Does anyone know how to get tomatoes to grow well in Brisbane?

My tomatoes always start off looking good, but when they get a bit
bigger their growth slows, they get pale, sort of grey and the fruit
doesn't really grow.

I've only really tried grosse lisse, perhaps I should try an alternative
variety also.

I get the same result in 2 different locations, one in full sun, one in
just over half.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lionel.

[email protected] 26-09-2007 11:04 AM

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:56:34 +1000, Lionel van den Berg wrote:

Does anyone know how to get tomatoes to grow well in Brisbane?

My tomatoes always start off looking good, but when they get a bit
bigger their growth slows, they get pale, sort of grey and the fruit
doesn't really grow.

I've only really tried grosse lisse, perhaps I should try an alternative
variety also.

I get the same result in 2 different locations, one in full sun, one in
just over half.

Any ideas?

Tomatoes are heavy feeders so try more fertilizer.

Lionel van den Berg 26-09-2007 11:18 AM

wrote:
Tomatoes are heavy feeders so try more fertilizer.

Anything in particular? I did give them dynamic lifter (though being
high in nitrogen I suspect that is mostly good for leaf growth) and some
blood and bone. I'm still working on building the soil, mulching
heavily, it's not the greatest soil around.

I grew up in Northern NSW, you don't even need to fertilise there and
you get big juicy tomatoes. We were at that time keeping our own seed
from a variety called bullocks heart. It doesn't really look like the
one they sell as ox heart now, but it certainly was the best tomato I've
ever eaten, pity I let the seed go :(.

Lionel.

HC 26-09-2007 11:40 AM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

G'day Lionel

If you check ebay there are lots of heritage tomato seeds available and
who knows, you might find your old bullocks heart.

I've just bought some green/white stripe, red/orange stripe, white/cream
and black tomato seeds so hoping for some interesting salads this summer.

Not sure this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Leftred 26-09-2007 12:18 PM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

I always found that most varieties, including grosse lise, grew well enough,
the real problem is fruit fly.

In the end, I just grew cherry tomatoes because they have a tougher skin and
are more resistant to fly strike. As well, they taste great. They also grow
prolifically, whether you let them spread on the ground or train them up a
wall or fence.

Ian

Lionel van den Berg 26-09-2007 12:37 PM

Leftred wrote:
I always found that most varieties, including grosse lise, grew well
enough, the real problem is fruit fly.

In the end, I just grew cherry tomatoes because they have a tougher skin
and are more resistant to fly strike. As well, they taste great. They
also grow prolifically, whether you let them spread on the ground or
train them up a wall or fence.

Yeah, cherry tomatoes definitely the most successful. I've got some of
them in at the ends of my bean rows, waiting to take over when beans die
off :).

Best vegie in Brisbane is Silverbeet, give it water and you get well
rewarded.

Jonno[_9_] 26-09-2007 12:51 PM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

Re fruit fly. This was mentioned on ABC radio many hours past my sleep
time, so was half asleep, but I remember someone using some type of
cloth to keep the little buggers of the tomatoes. Thing is where do you
get it? Bunnings, or nurseries?

Lionel van den Berg 26-09-2007 01:08 PM

Jonno wrote:
Re fruit fly. This was mentioned on ABC radio many hours past my sleep
time, so was half asleep, but I remember someone using some type of
cloth to keep the little buggers of the tomatoes. Thing is where do you
get it? Bunnings, or nurseries?

Yeah, it would be preferable to use something like a cloth rather than a
chemical.

I've heard that comfrey can be used as a pesticide. I'm going to give it
a go at some stage, I think you rot the leaves in water for a few weeks,
then dilute it and spray your plants with the resulting solution. It's
also a good liquid fertiliser.

I keep marigolds and basil growing to help out a bit, I might get some
garlic into action soon too, but I don't think any of these will be any
good on fruit fly!

Lionel.

len garden 26-09-2007 08:30 PM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

g'day lionel,

we do quiet well only having to get control over the tropical fruit
fly but that dept' s looking better this year.

sounds like maybe position or growing medium might not be quiet right,
they will do better in full sun at least a good 6 hours a day.

check how we do our successful gardens there may be some ideas there
for you?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:56:34 +1000, Lionel van den Berg
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Jonno 27-09-2007 05:13 AM

Trick to growing tomatoes in Brisbane?

I know you mean "quite" not quiet which means another thing altogether.
Maybe I'd be better of being "quiet".