GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cheap Source of Barley Straw? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/165534-cheap-source-barley-straw.html)

[email protected] 02-10-2007 01:11 AM

Cheap Source of Barley Straw?

I've got an algae problem in my pond and I'm having hassles finding a cheap source of barley straw in Sydney. Bunnings sell 100
gram packs for around $20, but that is an outrageous ripoff. I can't see why it shouldn't cost the same as sugar cane, common
straw or lucerne. The few remaining nurseries around here don't stock barley straw. Any ideas where I might get a bale of it?

Thanks.

Jonno[_9_] 02-10-2007 01:41 AM

Cheap Source of Barley Straw?

Possible solution, buy some barley seed,(produce store or get it at the
local supermarket) and grow your own.
Yellow pages? for produce stores.

Jonno[_9_] 02-10-2007 02:12 AM

Cheap Source of Barley Straw?

Link here
http://www.aussieweb.com.au/director...1806&lid=50044

Terryc 02-10-2007 03:21 AM

wrote:
I've got an algae problem in my pond and I'm having hassles finding a cheap source of barley straw in Sydney.

Have you tried the other straws anyway?

I can't see why it shouldn't cost the same as sugar cane, common
straw or lucerne.

Well, basically, there is so much more of those produced, but the
current prices of lucerne and straw are rather high anyway.