Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Snow peas versus cucumber in Melb

Last year I had a really successful crop of burpless cucumbers over summer.
I grew them on some trellised wire running across the veggie patch. I think
my lovely snow peas are coming to an end (less flowers, the pods are curling
rather than flat) and I really want to get the cucumbers going soon.
Is it near time to pull out the snow peas?
Can I plant the cucumbers in the same spot as last summer, after soil
improvement, etc?
Is it too early for seedlings or should I try seed?
Cheers
Liz

Old 04-10-2007, 02:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

Cucumbers, Put in seeds, punnets are best and a small plastic greenhouse.
I reckon you could wait for the peas to turn up their toes, or be
forceful and pull them out, and prepare the ground for cucumbers. If the
cucumbers were happy, didn't suffer any diseases, I have got away with
planting them in the same spot year after year.
They can suffer from mildew at times. Shouldnt be aproblem if youre
planting them on a trellis wire. They of course prefer a warm sunny
spot. You could try for seedlings, but I like to plant he seeds too.
Running cucumbers through the strawberries is one way of saving space.
I know I do this with the pumpkins. No problems at all, and it keeps the
ground cool in high summer....

Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
Last year I had a really successful crop of burpless cucumbers over

summer.
I grew them on some trellised wire running across the veggie patch. I

think
my lovely snow peas are coming to an end (less flowers, the pods are

curling
rather than flat) and I really want to get the cucumbers going soon.
Is it near time to pull out the snow peas?
Can I plant the cucumbers in the same spot as last summer, after soil
improvement, etc?
Is it too early for seedlings or should I try seed?
Cheers
Liz

Have the best of both. Start your cucumbers in seedling tubes, one per
tube. In a few weeks the peas will be finished and you can put in the
cucumbers without translant shock. While rotation is a benefit, if you
don't have room to rotate it will not be instant death.

David

Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Staycalm" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I think I will do that.
Cheers