Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 AM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

Default Gardens vs dogs

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:06:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 15:54:03 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning

get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Place plastic see through water bottles around the garden. This stops
them from ****ing and pooing all over the garden.

Urban myth

Not at all. Have two dogs and they keep clear of the garden.
The neighbours dogs don't **** in the garden either.

The reason why they don't **** around where their is a bottle of water
is that the dog does not want to possibly pollute its drinking water
supply.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Gooday Liz,
For a start try this site here.
Its the best site I have found yet.
(Others please look away. This is not for your eyes.....)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/waggingschool/training/
Best of luck. With the information here you're of to a good start.
Jonno....
Staycalm wrote:
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning
to get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Thanks Jonno. This is a great site for me to show daughter and husband. I'm
learning some more too!

Liz

Old 07-10-2007, 11:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"cp" wrote in message

Place plastic see through water bottles around the garden. This stops
them from ****ing and pooing all over the garden.

Urban myth

Not at all. Have two dogs and they keep clear of the garden.
The neighbours dogs don't **** in the garden either.

How do you know it's the bottles? The bottles are there, the dogs behave in
a certain way but how do you know one causes the other?

The reason why they don't **** around where their is a bottle of water
is that the dog does not want to possibly pollute its drinking water
supply.

How do you know this? It sounds sort of plausible but that's not evidence.

David

Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 PM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:33:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
.. .

Place plastic see through water bottles around the garden. This stops
them from ****ing and pooing all over the garden.

Urban myth

Not at all. Have two dogs and they keep clear of the garden.
The neighbours dogs don't **** in the garden either.

How do you know it's the bottles? The bottles are there, the dogs behave in
a certain way but how do you know one causes the other?

Because before the bottles they ****ed and pooed over the garden at
regular times during the day. I only found out about it at dog
training school where I asked how to stop the dogs from ****ing and
pooing in the garden. They advised placing a clear water bottle and
placing water in the bottle. It did the trick. That was a couple of
years ago.

The reason why they don't **** around where their is a bottle of water
is that the dog does not want to possibly pollute its drinking water
supply.

How do you know this? It sounds sort of plausible but that's not evidence.

Found out about it at dog training school.
Bound to be on google somewhere.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:53:26 GMT, cp wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:33:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

And there is.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+garden&meta=

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"cp" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:53:26 GMT, cp wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:33:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Well this tells me that other people have the same belief which is the
nature of urban legends. I have no desire to get into a ****ing competition
over this (someone might throw bottles of water at us). If you believe it
and it works for you that's fine - I am saying to others that they should
not expect to get results.

David

Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

They got you to comment! Thats a result....
Leave those demented believers alone David.....
They believe what they will!!!
Some people are like this...
Public servants for instance....

Old 09-10-2007, 09:11 AM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:51:15 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 16:53:26 GMT, cp wrote:

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:33:32 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"cp" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Cheaper than a fence.

Old 22-10-2007, 10:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

I still like the Bunning's small animal electric fence - one single strand
of wire - they only touch it twice - then don't go near it for over a year
even with no power. Our two now just stay clear of the original area or the
white wire where ever I put it up (ie to stop them arguing with the dogs
next door) even if I don't put power on it. Dogs aren't stupid, they know
if they get in trouble only when you are around, they will wait until you
are not there.

I got a valuable piece of advice from an old animal trainer years ago when I
was working with chimps. He said if you are trying to stop them doing
something wrong, the punishment needs to come from God. What he meant was,
do not let them see you initiate it or they know where it comes from - if
they can't see any direct link between you and the punishment, they are
forever wary of it happening again, hence won't do the wrong thing any time.
Better that they don't do something by choice than because they are
physically prevented from doing it as all that does is creates a challenge.
A fence that doesn't bite is a challenge to get over or under, or through -
an area that bites is worth avoiding.

Geoff

"George.com" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am
planning
to get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

ime some dogs go everywhere, and others will only go where it looks

"empty"
(as it were). my dog doesn't go on garden beds with things in them. mind
you, he is largish, so he's not as likely to go romping through the
undergrowth (or veg) anyway.

my mutts keep my vege garden free of cat poop or any other odorous
compost,
a very useful service on their part they assume until they try to lick me.

rob

Old 22-10-2007, 12:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thats great advice and does seem to work as I have seen it work with an
electric fence and dogs. Even elephants at the zoo act like this with
the electric fence.

Geoff & Heather wrote:
[...]

"George.com" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
u...

Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
dogs and shade plants R B North Carolina 2 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM