Old 14-10-2007, 01:38 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Iron Sulphate as a selective lawn weeder?

Been looking around for something to get rid of broadleaf weeds in
lawns, preferably something soluble that can be applied with a watering can.

Most of the commercial stuff seems to be based on MCPA and DiCamba, both
of which are in the "nasty, and I don't like it" category for me.

I have seen one Yates product in which the active ingredient is Iron
Sulphate, which is applied dry then watered in after two days (if it
doesn't rain - which ain't gonna happen any time soon here in sunny
Adelaide).

I remember seeing Jerry on Gardening Australia using equal parts Iron
Sulphate, Potassium Sulphate and sand to drop onto weeds ... which I've
done with good successes, but now I want to do a fairly large area.

I spoke to a bloke at Yates' call-centre and he recommended 200g
Ammonium Sulphate, 100g Iron Sulphate in 9 litres of water. I did some
googling and it appears this is also known as Ferrous Ammonium Sulphate,
or possibly Mohr's Salt.

Seems like the common thing is Iron Sulphate, so my question to the
assembled minds: has anyone used this stuff, and if so, how did it go?

Bonus question: is it likely to have any long-term effects (good/bad/other)?

--

Truth matters, God doesn't and life sucks.

-- House, M.D.
Old 14-10-2007, 06:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Have a look here for clues...
http://www.watoxics.org/homes-and-ga...astfacts-weeds

I know the joke. Stop it or youl'l go blind...

Old 21-10-2007, 10:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Tonto "Bruce" Goldstein" "" wrote in message

Been looking around for something to get rid of broadleaf weeds in lawns,
preferably something soluble that can be applied with a watering can.

not sure how big your weedy patches are, but if you think you can manage it,
boiling water is just about the only thing going for broadleaf weeds imo!
you could use it in a watering can too (as it doesn't have to be literally
boiling).

however, if that's out of the question, i'm not sure what else to suggest,
sorry :-) i hope you get some more replies (it must be spring - we've all
gone awol here!!!) as i have out-of-control paterson's curse patches, which
really are far too big for the old boiling water treatment.
good luck
kylie

What is the best weeder for lawns and gardens? AKT Gardening 2 02-06-2009 03:14 AM
best weeder, narrow drain spade [email protected] Plant Science 0 28-05-2009 07:40 AM
new weeder [email protected] Gardening 3 29-05-2008 02:14 PM
"Hula-ho" "skimmer" weeder? Gwen Morse Gardening 4 10-06-2004 05:07 AM
Other non-selective herbicides? Andrew G Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM