Old 28-10-2007, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default avocado

We have an avocado tree flowering for the first time. Does it need cross
pollination to produce fruit.
We live in Victoria.

Thanks
Andy

Old 28-10-2007, 07:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day andy,

no but ahving said that it might depend on whether you have an 'A' or
a 'B' species tree, you could of course ahve one that it doesn't
matter and it will fruit from go to woe.

with 'A' & 'B' trees one will get all of it's male flowers early in
the season then get both later in the season the other will do the
opposite so the theory being f you ahve both tree types you get a
longer fruiting season, but they will all fruit at some time.

so if you know what variety you have then you can check and see it the
above matters or not.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:49:10 +1100, "Andy" wrote:

We have an avocado tree flowering for the first time. Does it need cross
pollination to produce fruit.
We live in Victoria.

Thanks
Andy

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 29-10-2007, 12:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

"len garden" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Len,

not sure about the species as it was planted from seed about 4 or 5 years
ago. It's growing in a tub and has lots of little flower buds opening into
small pale yellow flowers.

Andy

Old 29-10-2007, 06:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day andy,

a seedling this is going to be interesting if you will provide a blow
by blow as the plant develops. seedling are supposed to be unreliable
fruiters ie.,. from not fruitng at all through very poor quality fruit
not representative of wher the seed came from to some actually saying
they get good fruit.

and also seedlings are supposed to take around 12 years give or take
to produce fruit, it can take up to 7 years for a grafted tree.

so lets hope flowers mean fruit? better lets hope there is another
avo' tree nearby to help that process?

any very interested so keep us/me informed even if by e/mial from our
web page.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:28:02 +1100, "Andy" wrote:
snipped
snipped

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
avocado query whiteMemphis Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocado in Zone 6 Mark Edible Gardening 2 12-03-2003 10:56 AM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM