Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Mosquito repellant plant?

G'day

Some time ago I heard about a plant that will repel mosquitoes but at
the moment can't think of the name...can anyone help please? Also, if
you know where I might get seed/cuttings/etc that would be most
appreciated.

I've just done a makeover of the outdoor area at the back of my house
(got sick of waiting for Jamie Durie to arrive so had to do it myself)
and now I'm spending more time sitting out there and with the recent
rain am being harrassed by mossies. I burn citronella candles and oil
all day and half the night but as soon as they are extinguished the
mossies reappear. As I've just recovered from two separate bouts of
Ross River Virus, I'm paranoid about the rotten little things because
they still carry lots of other diseases that I haven't had yet, and
don't want!!!

A new vegie garden was part of the makeover so I'm keeping everything
crossed for some beaut tomatoes and other salad vegies during summer.
That's if they don't get the dreaded wilt!!

Jonno...see you're still here...how are things?

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

You may be thinking of African Daisy,from which pyrethrums are
commercially extracted.
It grows well in Oz.
Dont be concerned re mossie ilnesses. You had the worst of them.
I have a theory, that if you get some really bad illnesses the other
viruses cannot thrive as your immune system has got the super immune
stamp. It can handle anything.
A potted sweet basil will also do the trick. Brush your hand over it
when passing to bring out the fragrance. I don't know why the flies
don't like it, but my plant on the BBQ table keeps the nasties off the food.
Tansy will probably do the trick too
Tansy is one of those wild herbs that grows like crazy. Don't plant it
in the ground, it will take over

Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

G'day Jonno

Thanks!! It was African Daisy and funnily enough I have two growing in
the front garden....time to take some cuttings for the backyard!!

Understand what you are saying about immune systems, but mine is/was out
of whack because your body is supposed to build up an immunity to RRV so
you don't get it again....but...I got it a second time, 18 months after
the first bout. Crazy eh??

Actually Basil rings a bell too. Thanks for your help.
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Thanks for the link, have read that site previously. Actually, think
I've read everything ever posted on the net about RRV and associated
diseases. LOL

It always amuses me when I read them though...they have definitely been
written by someone who's never had any of the mossie-borne diseases,
because in my case, my symptoms were much, much worse and in actual fact
I was laid up for 5 years in total. Not something to be sneezed at.
Can't afford to lose that much time from life at my age!! LOL

Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

Sometimes these vegetarian ideals create problems.
It appears mossies like sweaty people.
Thats why they bite around feet etc.
The website I sent you also has a mosquito prevention leaflet/faq which
may come in handy.
Vegetarians may find their immune system isn't up to date in some
circumstances.

So many theories, so few solutions, but I'm about to find out if my
diagnosis on my old Ford is correct. After eliminating almost
everything, I reckon the distributer is sticking. So much for theory
from experts. Tomorrow, another "House" is born! To bad it had to come
to this. Damn expensive mechanics. The heads been off, the valves have
been ground, the carby has been rekitted, the inlet manifold has been
eliminated, and now the last item has got to be it or it dies!!
At least you haven't got to this stage...... Hope your health will pick up.
Maybe you illness hadnt gone completely.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

The problem was that I wasn't aware that RRV and it's mates, were spread
around the country as much as they are and while I was taking extreme
precautions while in the Top End, I relaxed when I was back in NSW and
the rotten blighters found me!!

They sniff you out by the odour of your perspiration, that's why I used
to take massive doses of Vitamin B1 when up north and it worked too, but
I reverted to a normal dose when back home.

Maybe the Ford needs a new distributor...find the nearest wrecking yard
and borrow another one to test. I've only ever owned one Ford and it
was a 1951 Prefect, fully imported model. Went like the clappers, but
needed a new water pump every three weeks. After a few times I could
replace a water pump in 10 minutes, had a spare that I would rebuild and
had on hand ready for the next refit.

Ah, those were the days!! On second thoughts, think I'd prefer my
current vehicle, touch wood, it never has anything wrong....then again
maybe I should say that too loud!! LOL

Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
snip
Tansy will probably do the trick too
Tansy is one of those wild herbs that grows like crazy. Don't plant it in
the ground, it will take over

i was going to plant my little tansy seedlings all around the hen house, to
see if it helps with all the #!%&~! flies.

tbh i could think of worse things than it taking over - for example, the
flies taking over ;-)

(oh no! what if the tansy takes over, but it doesn't help at all with
keeping the flies away? ;-)
kylie

Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

The problem is these days, when I'm stumped with a car problem, the so
called experts are really stumped. I will repair the thing. Its probably
sticking centrifugal weights in it. I had a similar problem with an XW
Ford many years ago. This current problem was a build up of several
things wrong with the car, including, head gasket blown, initial stages
hard to pick, and too much pressure in radiator, not too hard to pick if
youre aware of the testing kits which check for exhaust gas in the
radiator water. I wasn't.
Re illness,
I had a serious illness (Hep B) a few years ago and I worked out what
had happened. The experts or local doctors thought the obvious was the
reason. Well I asked around till I got the answer I liked, and fitted,
which sounded ridiculous, but was the correct one. A professor agreed
with me. So now I query everything my Doc tells me. It easy on the
Net.The Doctor get this a lot now. Theyre only human with a certificate.
That doesn't allow them to see and know all about you. Despite what some
people think. You can always add to their experience.
I wonder if the diagnoses you had with RRV was correct? (paranoia
sneaking in(Grin))

Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mosquito repellent plant?

Ah yes, plants will eventually take over the world.
Put them in pots....

0tterbot wrote:
snip

Old 04-11-2007, 11:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Ah yes, plants will eventually take over the world.
Put them in pots....

i maintain my position that modern potting mix is virtually useless!!

in other words, would rather have tansy spreading too far than not to grow
at all :-)

luckily, we have a lot of room here.
kylie

Best Mosquito and Bug Killer? Mosquito Magnet? Spray? Net? [email protected] Gardening 5 28-05-2008 08:24 AM
Insect Repellant Plant Wanda Australia 11 14-10-2003 12:06 AM
Deer repellant Bob Edible Gardening 5 13-08-2003 05:14 AM
Mosquito Deleto vs. Mosquito Magnet MarkG Gardening 1 10-06-2003 11:20 AM
aphid repellant Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 6 10-03-2003 02:05 PM