Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default fly trap recipe

I have one of those fly traps where you have a liquid bait, the fly goes in
after the stinky bait, can't get out, drowns in the liquid.
Looking for a recipe for the attractant but couldn't find one.
I looked on Len's useful recipe page but his bait recipe was for fruit fly,
not regular flies.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Blair

Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Blaircam" wrote in message
I have one of those fly traps where you have a liquid bait, the fly goes in
after the stinky bait, can't get out, drowns in the liquid.
Looking for a recipe for the attractant but couldn't find one.
I looked on Len's useful recipe page but his bait recipe was for fruit
fly, not regular flies.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Blair

Fish heads, fish guts, uncooked meat, poo and blood & bone. Solid stuff
should be weighed down so that it is in contact with the bottom of the
container (thus not having islands for flies to land on and deposit maggots
on. If you do get maggots pour boiling water in.

Cheers

Rick

Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day blair,

too easy mate, some mince into some water into the bottle and hey
presto catching flies (once the met goes stinky). and works a treat.

len

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 18:41:46 +0900, "Blaircam"
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day jonno,

our bottel way is easier just takes 2 little inverted V cut windows
either side just below the neck of the bottle, push windows open a
little and there ya go too easy.

then when it is full of deceased flies some ducqe tape over the holes
and into the garbage then make new traps.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens

It was just a start for them Len,
It was actually a bottle trap for flies to superglue to a tiny
aeroplane, after they had been refrigerated. Then when they come too,
they try to fly away, powering the tiny aeroplane with as many engines
as you like to catch.....
See here http://www.flypower.com/

Watch the inane laughter as it flies around.... (grin!) If you dare
build it. Watch the RSPCA come to you door.... Funny though....It might
just work....

Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"len garden" wrote in message
g'day jonno,

our bottel way is easier just takes 2 little inverted V cut windows
either side just below the neck of the bottle, push windows open a
little and there ya go too easy.

!!!!!!! what a good idea. i was making them with inverted cut-off tops &
whatnot, & it was just ridiculous. THIS way must be a million times better.
thanks len!

then when it is full of deceased flies some ducqe tape over the holes
and into the garbage then make new traps.

two things - 1: surely they could go into the compost? (i assume dead flies
would be excellent in your compost. if a bit icky.) 2: my traps
(purpose-made ones, not the cut-off-bottle type that didn't stay together so
i gave up on them) kind of seem to function continuously - the dead flies
seem to make just as smelly an attractant as the stuff that went in in the
first place. and they seem to break down really fast anyway. well, what i'm
saying here is my traps kept catching flies & stayed smelly, but haven't got
"full" yet. i've still got packets of smelly-fly-attractor stuff that i've
never had to break open yet. (?)
kylie

Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:44:38 GMT, "0tterbot" wrote:

"len garden" wrote in message
.. .

snipped!!!!!!! what a good idea. i was making them with inverted
cut-off tops &
whatnot, & it was just ridiculous. THIS way must be a million times better.
thanks len!

yes we find it is a very simple and effective way of doing things, no
engineering degree needed.

then when it is full of deceased flies some ducqe tape over the holes
and into the garbage then make new traps.

snipped
saying here is my traps kept catching flies & stayed smelly, but haven't got
"full" yet. i've still got packets of smelly-fly-attractor stuff that i've
never had to break open yet. (?)

suppose if the bottle where able to decompose it might be the go but
as for say cutting the to off and scraping out waht is in there it is
a very smelly putrid affair.

our current traps are working a treat so far heaps of flies in them
and lots less aussie saluting to be done.

kylie