Old 28-11-2007, 03:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Beautiful rain

0tterbot wrote:
"Terryc" wrote in message

[1] in the territory of the dumb bunnies who once again volted in a idiot
ultra conservative as their local member.

who's your local member then?

Pat Farmer for Macarthur, which is definitely no longer a bellweather
seat. He is still squarking about how workchoices is good.

It is knife edge but drawing further his way. Unfortunately, we do not
have the bob brown bushwalker effect where all the postal votes are
buchwalkers, so his margin is growing

Seriously, if the rodent had been serious about fixing the
Murray-Darling water fisco and really started taken action, I would have
had to think seriously about voting for a bit of self interest; the
grandfather's farm is going to be lost if this situation continues much
longer.

They are not even getting the piddle we are getting each day in Sydney.
Their last "rain" was in May when they sowed all the wheat and oats they
could afford. Now, it is just a pick for the cattle and sheep. So much
for all the work my grandfather put into solving the national food
shortages post WWII.

we got mike kelly, which of course only underlines eden-monaro's status as a
"bell-wether" seat, thus making elections hopelessly exciting. (i only ever
lived in safe seats before, where you can't escape the feeling that as a
voter, one is wasting one's time).

What is that saying about pollies and underwear? change often {:-).
kylie

Old 28-11-2007, 03:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

eek! although i did mean only in a home-situation (you know, where to direct
your grey-water goodies, and how, and so forth).

If I could get a economical underhouse water bladder, then I would
consider doing greywater recycling.
Old 28-11-2007, 06:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message

Seriously, if the rodent had been serious about fixing the
Murray-Darling water fisco and really started taken action, I would have
had to think seriously about voting for a bit of self interest; the
grandfather's farm is going to be lost if this situation continues much
longer.

The M-D water allocation is a nightmare. The fools have allocated more water
than would ever be available even if we were not in drought. People have made
investments based on water being available and it's now politically impossible
to turn around and say it isn't. What politician has the courage to take on a
problem where everybody will hate you for one reason or another no matter what
you do? If we had any statesmen around perhaps but with poll-driven populism
there is no percentage in it.

Secondly, does it really make sense to grow thirsty crops like cotton in
dryland areas based on irrigation? The only way to sort out what land use is
sensible is to choose the most cost effective one that doesn't destroy future
options. This requires a fair price to be set for resources and for
legislation to prevent "mining" the land, that is choosing non sustainable
options, which we have had too much of already. Once again if people have
investmented in a cash crop based on water being artificially cheap how do you
tell them that it cannot go on?

David

Old 28-11-2007, 07:34 AM posted to aus.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

The M-D water allocation is a nightmare.

Agreed, The lemming is for the blow torch next.

Secondly, does it really make sense to grow thirsty crops like cotton in
dryland areas based on irrigation?

Agreed. The vested interest is rice, without which the farm isn't
viable. The rodents offer to walk off the land was pitiful.

Sadly, we have old farms who have been slowly adjusting, then all the
wonderful tax lurk farms that received the wonderful boost of tradeable
water, which as you say didn't exist. Now the tax lurkers are having the
water confiscated for their benefit.

sigh. anyway, at least I can still water my little backyard farm.
Old 30-11-2007, 08:12 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i was interested to read recently that one MUST have a flush-diverter
for "safe" rainwater. we don't have one of those (although i do want one,
to keep the tank cleaner, but we don't have one yet).

Those flush diverters also remove a lot of water that could be going into
your tank. We don't have one and never have and when I asked a firend about
his, he was very dismissive of it because by the time it was full and ready
to allow water into his tank, the shower had often passed on and he was not
getting the run off into his tank. He eventually disconnected it.

Old 30-11-2007, 08:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

we got mike kelly, which of course only underlines eden-monaro's status as
a "bell-wether" seat, thus making elections hopelessly exciting. (i only
ever lived in safe seats before, where you can't escape the feeling that
as a voter, one is wasting one's time).

He's my Member too. For some reason I thought you were rather more to the
North - somewhere near Warragamba Dam. Wonder how I formed that idea?

Old 30-11-2007, 08:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"0tterbot" wrote in message

i was interested to read recently that one MUST have a flush-diverter
for "safe" rainwater. we don't have one of those (although i do want one,
to keep the tank cleaner, but we don't have one yet).

Those flush diverters also remove a lot of water that could be going into
your tank. We don't have one and never have and when I asked a firend
about his, he was very dismissive of it because by the time it was full
and ready to allow water into his tank, the shower had often passed on and
he was not getting the run off into his tank. He eventually disconnected
it.

I put in 3 (my own design) the gunk that is in the bottom after a rain event
is quite disgusting. Mine are just lengths of 90mm plastic pipe recycled
from the tip. Takes about 0.2mm to fill them, so there is not much waste.
Had to pump another 8000 litres into the cooling tank to make room for
todays 30mm after yesterdays 29mm. So the shower will be running on 100%
rainwater instead of 50% rain & 50% bore water.
Jim

Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

eek! although i did mean only in a home-situation (you know, where to
direct your grey-water goodies, and how, and so forth).

If I could get a economical underhouse water bladder, then I would
consider doing greywater recycling.

i'm not sure how big your garden is, but if it's of any size, i can
guarantee you'll be glad you did ;-)

there's also the possibility of doing the whole thing for free in a
non-council-approved form, but of course i can't recommend such a thing g
kylie

Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
who's your local member then?

Pat Farmer for Macarthur, which is definitely no longer a bellweather
seat. He is still squarking about how workchoices is good.

oh dear. it is looking to me like many of the libs just aren't getting it -
the country moved on while they weren't looking & many of them find this
mystifying (which makes me wonder what on earth they do all day!!).

It is knife edge but drawing further his way. Unfortunately, we do not
have the bob brown bushwalker effect where all the postal votes are
buchwalkers, so his margin is growing

Seriously, if the rodent had been serious about fixing the Murray-Darling
water fisco and really started taken action, I would have had to think
seriously about voting for a bit of self interest; the grandfather's farm
is going to be lost if this situation continues much longer.

They are not even getting the piddle we are getting each day in Sydney.
Their last "rain" was in May when they sowed all the wheat and oats they
could afford. Now, it is just a pick for the cattle and sheep. So much for
all the work my grandfather put into solving the national food shortages
post WWII.

without wanting to be offensive, afaict if they rely on water allocations
from govts when it's become clear that's not reliable in any way, they're
just not going to make it & there's nothing anyone can do about that.
everyone benefits from a hardcore dose of completely new thinking, & farmers
have to do that now. in the next 10 years, the farms that are going well
will be those who aren't addicted to the past (not to mention addicted to
growing things like wheat, rice or cotton).

but in short, the "rodent" was not "serious" about fixing ANYTHING. in 1952
there weren't water problems, by jingo, therefore to his rapid-set-concrete
way of "thinking", such problems simply don't exist. :-)

What is that saying about pollies and underwear? change often {:-).

that's very, very true.
kylie

Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

we got mike kelly, which of course only underlines eden-monaro's status
as a "bell-wether" seat, thus making elections hopelessly exciting. (i
only ever lived in safe seats before, where you can't escape the feeling
that as a voter, one is wasting one's time).

He's my Member too.

can i just say, that use of "member" always cracks me up, tee hee. most
things aren't funny twice, but that one is. well, maybe not... er....

For some reason I thought you were rather more to the
North - somewhere near Warragamba Dam. Wonder how I formed that idea?

don't ask me!!!! we are right in the armpit of civilisation * - an hour to
queanbeyan, an hour to goulburn, an hour to bateman's bay. and it rains
quite a lot at our place, too. marvellous!!!

mike kelly was everywhere during the campaign. he really did deserve to win
(compared to g. nairn - clearly had become complacent & was living in the
past & i personally didn't clap eyes on the man even once - but perhaps i
did but fell asleep immediately & thence forgot).
kylie

* not sure if you could really call any of those places "civilisation", but
you get the idea ;-)

Old 01-12-2007, 05:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

without wanting to be offensive, afaict if they rely on water allocations
from govts when it's become clear that's not reliable in any way, they're
just not going to make it & there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Well, they have no alternative really. The government forces the area to
be irrigation. To be viable non-irrigation in that area, you would need
an order of magntude more land

It is just another government cock up in agriculture.

everyone benefits from a hardcore dose of completely new thinking,

That is the mantra they feed us, but it has never been true. Once again
they are screwing the family farms to the benefit of the rich. I've been
hearing this hollow ring for over 40 years.

Rest of your post is plainly wrong. This farm has been trying
alternatives for 30 years, but unless you start with money to burn or
are a stupid gambler, it is just irresponsible to risk everything.

Now I see that lemming is about to screw all our famers again by
allowing GM pollution into crops.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:17 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message

He's my Member too.

can i just say, that use of "member" always cracks me up, tee hee. most
things aren't funny twice, but that one is. well, maybe not... er....

Well some of them are about as as useful as a flaccid one.

For some reason I thought you were rather more to the
North - somewhere near Warragamba Dam. Wonder how I formed that idea?

don't ask me!!!! we are right in the armpit of civilisation * - an hour to
queanbeyan, an hour to goulburn, an hour to bateman's bay. and it rains
quite a lot at our place, too. marvellous!!!

Ah! I suspect you aren't too far from me. I wonder if you are within cooee
of the Altenburg?

mike kelly was everywhere during the campaign. he really did deserve to
win (compared to g. nairn - clearly had become complacent & was living in
the past & i personally didn't clap eyes on the man even once - but
perhaps i did but fell asleep immediately & thence forgot).

Bloody Nairn! The only times I've clapped eyes on him I was deeply
unimpressed. Once he nearly ran me off the highway. You can guess which
one if you are where I think you might be.

* not sure if you could really call any of those places "civilisation",
but you get the idea ;-)

:-))

Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

without wanting to be offensive, afaict if they rely on water allocations
from govts when it's become clear that's not reliable in any way, they're
just not going to make it & there's nothing anyone can do about that.

Well, they have no alternative really. The government forces the area to
be irrigation. To be viable non-irrigation in that area, you would need an
order of magntude more land

It is just another government cock up in agriculture.

everyone benefits from a hardcore dose of completely new thinking,

That is the mantra they feed us, but it has never been true. Once again
they are screwing the family farms to the benefit of the rich. I've been
hearing this hollow ring for over 40 years.

********. Leaving wheat stubble is a good example of something that wasn't
done 40 years ago, so is allowing a long fallow between sowing wheat crops,
so is returning areas of farming to trees because it actually increases
productivity because of the protection it gives to crops and animals.

There is a huge amount of new thinking in all areas of agriculture over the
past 40 years and it has largely comes from farmers themselves.

Rest of your post is plainly wrong. This farm has been trying alternatives
for 30 years, but unless you start with money to burn or are a stupid
gambler, it is just irresponsible to risk everything.

Now I see that lemming is about to screw all our famers again by allowing
GM pollution into crops.

And some farmers unfortunately think that GM is a good thing.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:

********. Leaving wheat stubble is a good example of something that wasn't
done 40 years ago, so is allowing a long fallow between sowing wheat crops,
so is returning areas of farming to trees because it actually increases
productivity because of the protection it gives to crops and animals.

Err, none of this is new thinking and I am talking about longer term.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM posted to aus.gardens

Ah! I suspect you aren't too far from me. I wonder if you are within
cooee of the Altenburg?

the very same :-) (dh's shop is actually literally within cooee of the
altenburg!)

i'll never guess where you are, will i?

mike kelly was everywhere during the campaign. he really did deserve to
win (compared to g. nairn - clearly had become complacent & was living in
the past & i personally didn't clap eyes on the man even once - but
perhaps i did but fell asleep immediately & thence forgot).

Bloody Nairn! The only times I've clapped eyes on him I was deeply
unimpressed. Once he nearly ran me off the highway. You can guess which
one if you are where I think you might be.

oh yes. the way people (well, mostly canberrans) drive on that road
sometimes, does my head in. so in your position, i'd not vote for him either
;-)