Old 14-11-2007, 10:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Trees/shrubs that deter grass? Help, anyone?

My Mum has a Callistemon citrinus growing at her place and for years,
she's failed to get the lawn to grow beneath it. Recently, someone told
her that C.citrinus actually deters the growth of grass and other plants
in its shadow.

What a scathingly brilliant idea!

I'm not particularly fond of C.citrinus (I'm allergic to the hordes of
bees that come in the spring), but I wondered if anyone knows of other
trees or shrubs that will deter grass like this? I'm after anything that
will really result in bald ground if possible.

Anyone know of anything?

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 14-11-2007, 02:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
My Mum has a Callistemon citrinus growing at her place and for years,
she's failed to get the lawn to grow beneath it. Recently, someone told
her that C.citrinus actually deters the growth of grass and other plants
in its shadow.

What a scathingly brilliant idea!

I'm not particularly fond of C.citrinus (I'm allergic to the hordes of
bees that come in the spring), but I wondered if anyone knows of other
trees or shrubs that will deter grass like this? I'm after anything that
will really result in bald ground if possible.

Anyone know of anything?

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Don't notice much weedy growth under pine trees or casuarina trees. Anything
that has a dense canopy usually deters growth under it.

Old 14-11-2007, 08:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown wrote:

Anyone know of anything?

Any largish tree usually competes with the grass and ensures slow
growing until some idiot decides it needs fertlizing and watering {:-(.

but as others have said, a mulch layer with selected weeding is the main
requirement for removing it.

Old 15-11-2007, 09:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:14:44 +1100, Trish Brown
wrote in aus.gardens:

I'm not particularly fond of C.citrinus (I'm allergic to the hordes of
bees that come in the spring), but I wondered if anyone knows of other
trees or shrubs that will deter grass like this? I'm after anything that
will really result in bald ground if possible.

Anyone know of anything?

Its gone now but no grass grew under my Wattle tree

Regards
Harold

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

Old 22-11-2007, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Trish Brown writes:
My Mum has a Callistemon citrinus growing at her place and for years,
she's failed to get the lawn to grow beneath it. Recently, someone told
her that C.citrinus actually deters the growth of grass and other plants
in its shadow.

What a scathingly brilliant idea!

A ground-cover that produces its own weed-retardent and is hardy and
drought-resistant, prunable, self-propagating, kid-repellant, has flowers
that don't attract bees, while offering protection to garden lizards and
small wrens: LANTANA !!!