Old 18-11-2007, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Help identify this tree

Can anyone identify this tree.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree2.jpg

In the first picture you can just about see the flowers at the top.
It's very slow growing and is in the half-shade of trees either side.
The previous owner of the house had chopped one of the three trunks.
I was wondering if moving it to a sunnier location would be better.

Mike
Old 18-11-2007, 10:05 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Mike B" someone@noplace wrote in message

Can anyone identify this tree.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree2.jpg

In the first picture you can just about see the flowers at the top.
It's very slow growing and is in the half-shade of trees either side.
The previous owner of the house had chopped one of the three trunks.
I was wondering if moving it to a sunnier location would be better.

Mike

I am thinking this is a Yucca elphantiopes.

Dick :-)

Old 18-11-2007, 11:18 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:05:23 +0900, "Loosecanon"
wrote:

"Mike B" someone@noplace wrote in message
.. .

Can anyone identify this tree.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree2.jpg

In the first picture you can just about see the flowers at the top.
It's very slow growing and is in the half-shade of trees either side.
The previous owner of the house had chopped one of the three trunks.
I was wondering if moving it to a sunnier location would be better.

Mike

I am thinking this is a Yucca elphantiopes.

Dick :-)

Thanks.

Luckily for me it's described as 'impossible to kill', so I'll have a go at
transplanting it.

Mike
Old 18-11-2007, 06:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day mike,

maybe leaves not broad enough for yukka family, more like the aussie
dragon tree aka i thin dracaena marginata or something like that and
yes very tough plant will enjoy full sun and take it dry so drought
hardy as well.

pretty much can't kill it with a broad axe, remove all but the newest
foliage you won't need a huge root ball.

also think yukka and dracaena and cordeline all in same/similar
family. except yukka is the yuppy fashion so fetches huge prices.

you could cut the top off the main stem or both if you wished it will
then grow more shoots to amke it more showey and then plant the tops
and they will grow they make excellent potted cultures.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:50:07 +0900, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 18-11-2007, 08:21 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:50:07 +0900, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:

Can anyone identify this tree.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree2.jpg

In the first picture you can just about see the flowers at the top.
It's very slow growing and is in the half-shade of trees either side.
The previous owner of the house had chopped one of the three trunks.
I was wondering if moving it to a sunnier location would be better.

Mike

That looks to me like a mature Cordyline Australis

Old 19-11-2007, 01:59 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 18:50:07 +0900, Mike B someone@noplace wrote:

Can anyone identify this tree.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~mbuckler/plant/tree2.jpg

In the first picture you can just about see the flowers at the top.
It's very slow growing and is in the half-shade of trees either side.
The previous owner of the house had chopped one of the three trunks.
I was wondering if moving it to a sunnier location would be better.

Mike

That looks to me like a mature Cordyline Australis

Oh good! I thought so too!

We had one here when we moved in, but it was chocka with ants, who
seemed to like to have the odd day-trip into the house. It took a lot of
effort to get rid of, since cutting it enraged the ants, who kept
swarming up my husband's pants and making him stop to do a funny little
hornpipe-thingy at regular intervals.

Or maybe it was just a sort of antipodean Morris Dance...?

Anyway, the grey fronds are quite tough and leathery and easy to cut
yourself on. Also, they harbour spiders. If you have a pre-pubescent
girl in your family, you may want to consider the answer to the
following equation:

[G + (S x c x h) - E) x H] + F = ?

Whe
G is the age of the girl in years
S is the number of spiders
c is the spider-colour
h is the spider-hairiness-index

And:
E is the possibility of escape in metres per second
H is the hormonal status of the girl measured in tantrums per minute
F is the presence of a cool friend, multiplied by a correction factor of
100 if he happens to be male

Sorry if you think this post is silly. Any of you who actually own such
a pre-pubescent girl will know exactly what I'm alluding to. (And all
your Cordylines will be long gone, owing to the solution to my equation
and your utter loathing of hornpipes/morris dancing).

I think they work best in pots, meself (the Cordylines, not the girls or
the morris dancers). It limits their height and the fronds don't seem to
die off as much, so the foliage retains its interesting colour and
remains more or less at eye level.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia