Old 22-11-2007, 02:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default name this tree

There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now
it is fruiting, the fruit resembles a dark cherry only it is egg-shaped
instead of being round. I have broken one open and it contains a red
stone about the size of a cherry stone, within crisp flesh just like
a cherry that's not yet ripe.

I haven't seen any sign of the fruit having been sampled by birds, so
maybe it is not edible or just not yet ripe.

Anyone know the tree's name?

(For the jokesters: I am quite sure it's not Fred, nor Joan, nor Myrtle!)
Old 22-11-2007, 04:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

I'm sure others can give you botanical names but I've aways known it as an
ornamental plum. Fruit is small and quite sour skin but ok flesh. We loved
them as kids.

Liz
om...

Old 22-11-2007, 05:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now
it is fruiting, the fruit resembles a dark cherry only it is
egg-shaped instead of being round. I have broken one open and it
contains a red stone about the size of a cherry stone, within crisp
flesh just like
a cherry that's not yet ripe.

I haven't seen any sign of the fruit having been sampled by birds, so
maybe it is not edible or just not yet ripe.

Anyone know the tree's name?

(For the jokesters: I am quite sure it's not Fred, nor Joan, nor
Myrtle!)

Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (Purple-leaved Cherry-plum)

See

http://www.treelogic.com.au/brimbank...lefcherry.html

Old 22-11-2007, 07:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now
it is fruiting, the fruit resembles a dark cherry only it is egg-shaped
instead of being round. I have broken one open and it contains a red
stone about the size of a cherry stone, within crisp flesh just like
a cherry that's not yet ripe.

I haven't seen any sign of the fruit having been sampled by birds, so
maybe it is not edible or just not yet ripe.

Anyone know the tree's name?

Prunus Nigra?

I thought the same thing when I read John's description.

Old 23-11-2007, 10:12 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Know I'm late, but have to agree with the other ID's. A lovely compact
tree that colours beautifully in cold climates and looks just perfect
all year round.

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 26-11-2007, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

"GreenieLeBrun" writes:
John Savage wrote:
There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now

Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (Purple-leaved Cherry-plum)

See

Spot on! Thanks to others who answered, too. Anyone tried to make jam
from the fruit? If so, did you try to remove the skin first?
Old 27-11-2007, 04:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

John, my grandmother used to make jam from this fruit, but it took lots
of sugar (not as sweet as other plums) and the skins were tough as
boots, so yes, I'd remove the skin.

Bronwyn ;-)

John Savage wrote:
"GreenieLeBrun" writes:

John Savage wrote:

There's a tree I've seen growing on nature strips and parks. In size
and shape it could pass as a plum tree, and its leaf size and shape
and density of foliage is very similar to that of the plum, too. But
this tree has distinctive red leaves, a very dark red. And right now

Prunus cerasifera ‘Nigra’ (Purple-leaved Cherry-plum)

See

Spot on! Thanks to others who answered, too. Anyone tried to make jam
from the fruit? If so, did you try to remove the skin first?

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 06:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 10:45 AM
Name that tree Bill Oliver Gardening 17 11-05-2004 10:02 PM
tree name? Guglielmo Portas Lawns 3 11-06-2003 03:56 PM